Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 10:19 PM

9 posts, read 12,074 times

Advertisements

So how about it? Can you survive on $65K? Can you afford to live any? A single car payment, no credit cards debt, some medical, and student loans?

Thanks for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 02:13 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,275,580 times
Are you talking about you can go anywhere in NOVA to live or are you looking at specific areas? Go inside the beltway and housing becomes more pricey and 65 will be tough. Move to the lower income area well outside the beltway and it is very doable.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:54 AM

318 posts, read 368,611 times
That's technically below the poverty line and you will need government assistance

Old 01-15-2017, 05:57 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,695,557 times
I couldn't do it, but I'm sure there are extremely heroic frugal people who can do it.

Housing for a family of 4 is going to take up most of your budget. If you live where the housing is cheaper in NoVA, then your commute costs will get you.

Where will you working and where would you like to live?

Old 01-15-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I couldn't do it, but I'm sure there are extremely heroic frugal people who can do it.

Housing for a family of 4 is going to take up most of your budget. If you live where the housing is cheaper in NoVA, then your commute costs will get you.

Where will you working and where would you like to live?
I would be working in Fairfax. As for living... wherever it's affordable for what the salary would allow and a lifestyle I can enjoy.

Currently I live in a place with a median income of $30k with Fairfax's median of $112k I have my concerns.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:43 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,695,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryThe8th View Post
I would be working in Fairfax. As for living... wherever it's affordable for what the salary would allow and a lifestyle I can enjoy.

Currently I live in a place with a median income of $30k with Fairfax's median of $112k I have my concerns.
You should be concerned. So what is your max housing budget? That will determine where you can live.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:46 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,625,357 times
One medical emergency if you have a high deductible can wipe you out. If you can live in the Fredericksburg or Culpeper areas and tolerate a hellish commute (or can take the train), maybe.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
You should be concerned. So what is your max housing budget? That will determine where you can live.

I would be renting, so I was thinking no higher than $1,800. But that would have to be for a short commute. I've seen some things in Manassas that may work for housing. But I just don't know. I can only get a feel on what I can find on the web from various calculators and government numbers.

I thought asking in a forum like this would be good to get real people that lives there opinions.

Thank you BTW

Old 01-15-2017, 07:05 AM

I really appreciate everyone's responses!

Old 01-15-2017, 08:35 AM

231 posts, read 576,741 times
when my family and I first moved out here from CA my husband took a 50% pay cut. I was a stay at home mom. He made less than $65K when we moved here. We were able to find a 3 bedroom townhouse to rent for $1500 and we made it work. Once both kids were in school full time I went to back to work and here we are 6 years later. We moved a few times and now own a beautiful home and things are great. It can work. We did have to be very careful about what we spend. No eating out (we would go to chic fil a or something maybe once a week still) but nothing super expensive. We didn't have cable TV. We had some help with my son's preschool from my mother in law so that was a huge help. My kids were too young for sports so we didn't have that to worry about yet. I would never have said we were poor. We were happy and it worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia