Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 05:59 PM

179 posts, read 300,061 times

Advertisements

Usually there is a concentration on a BBA like finance, accounting, economics, management, etc. So what's your deal? What did you actually study? And why didn't you line up a job in your senior year? You sound like a slacker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 06:56 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,483,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle4Life View Post
Usually there is a concentration on a BBA like finance, accounting, economics, management, etc. So what's your deal? What did you actually study? And why didn't you line up a job in your senior year? You sound like a slacker.
No need to call the young person names; not everyone has their live perfectly squared away at 22 or 23 and at least they have finished college and have a nest egg to get started. That says a lot. Many smaller colleges only offer a generic "business" degree, such as the one my niece attended. This young person is seeking guidance, not criticism.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:51 AM

26,709 posts, read 41,874,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
No need to call the young person names; not everyone has their live perfectly squared away at 22 or 23 and at least they have finished college and have a nest egg to get started. That says a lot. Many smaller colleges only offer a generic "business" degree, such as the one my niece attended. This young person is seeking guidance, not criticism.
Thank you. College isn't just 4 years straight then job for everyone. It took me until just a month shy of my 24th birthday to finish my undergrad after starting right after HS. It wasn't slacking for sure that caused that to happen. I lived in two states, worked full-time which realistically limited the class load I could handle, thus it took longer. Oh yeah, one of my parents died during that time, another college most college kids don't have to deal with.

Far as college, YMMV.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:55 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,417,044 times
My first job out of college, I was making around $30,000 which in this area is literally pennies, it was pretty tough but roommates and I came up with an agreement and made it work.

Entry level jobs here don't pay much but most employers know people are just looking to gain experience so they can go on to increase their earnings elsewhere. Stay motivated, if you keep looking the right job will come through.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:02 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,911,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
My first job out of college, I was making around $30,000 which in this area is literally pennies, it was pretty tough but roommates and I came up with an agreement and made it work.
Me too. Not in DC tho. Why would any Millie expect to move to a new town, immediately acquire a career based position and afford a 1 bed apt is not realistic here.

Quote:
Entry level jobs here don't pay much but most employers know people are just looking to gain experience so they can go on to increase their earnings elsewhere. Stay motivated, if you keep looking the right job will come through.
This is why there is a massive plethora of unpaid internships in DC and why a Nopay internship is much more valuable than a paid job in the unusual DC market. 6 mos is a perfect Internship length here

Maybe you should get a minor in Accounting/Actuary. Being able to read a 1600 page congressional document, them immediately know when the taxable/federal money came from and where its going is a very valuable skill here

Old 02-15-2017, 09:45 AM

415 posts, read 373,717 times
Quote:

I get what you're saying but this isn't a case of me just being out of college looking for a position. I have a years work experience working as an admin assistant, so while that isn't a ton of experience, I felt it was a bit to where I could make more than 30k a year.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:41 AM

179 posts, read 300,061 times
A year's experience is basically nothing in the grand scheme of a career. Experienced exec. assistants at my company can make between 50-100K. Most people want a more meaningful/challenging job. You still didn't say what you actually studied. "Business administration" is very vague and you need a focus.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:50 AM

1,533 posts, read 2,275,612 times
OP - I'm from here and a LOT older than you and even "in the day" I didn't know anyone that could afford to live alone, especially if they wanted to live closer to DC. Trust me, go the roommate route for a couple of years and actually have some income to do things.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:51 AM

415 posts, read 373,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
OP - I'm from here and a LOT older than you and even "in the day" I didn't know anyone that could afford to live alone, especially if they wanted to live closer to DC. Trust me, go the roommate route for a couple of years and actually have some income to do things.
Yeah, I have noticed this seems to be pretty common here when people are starting their careers. Thanks for the feedback!

Old 02-18-2017, 08:43 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,836 times
If you took a certain number of finance or accounting courses, there have traditionally been a lot of government jobs in auditing, as well as financial management and contracting/acquisition. Some agencies even have internships . Hopefully once 90 days have elapsed since our dear leader's hiring freeze, you'll see some openings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia