Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 05:40 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,019,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
They should all hold meetings. But, it should not come as surprise that the current tactic of disrupting town meetings, as opposed to showing up to express your views like a civilized person, is disrupting the democratic process everywhere in the country, against everyone's interests.
Have you been to any of them? I watch a couple of videos and didn't see that at all. I saw a politician who had voted against the wishes of a lot - perhaps the majority - of their constituents, who then stood up and told blatant lies, and was called out on it. People wanted answers and were willing to listen to them, but when all they got was the same pithy lies, they let the politician know they weren't having it. The ones I saw were not like you describe at all - the politicians just refused to answer questions that mattered to people, and got angry when they were asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 06:52 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,157,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
She has more Muslim-Americans in her district than any other Republican in America and her district swung heavily against Republicans in 16. Shes terrified and probably wishes Hillary Clinton won.

She might be THE top target in 2018.
There are many threads in the Politics forum that highlight that over 20 democrat senators are up for re-election in 2018 with over 10 of those is states where Trump won by double digits. Assuming that either the Senate or House will swing is pure speculation. Trump has been President only a month. Its going to be a long ride for 47 more months. Should be fun.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:58 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,272,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Have you been to any of them? I watch a couple of videos and didn't see that at all. I saw a politician who had voted against the wishes of a lot - perhaps the majority - of their constituents, who then stood up and told blatant lies, and was called out on it. People wanted answers and were willing to listen to them, but when all they got was the same pithy lies, they let the politician know they weren't having it. The ones I saw were not like you describe at all - the politicians just refused to answer questions that mattered to people, and got angry when they were asked.
This has been my experience as well. People, on both sides of the political spectrum, are getting fed up with the blatant B.S. Those elected seem to have forgotten who they work for.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:35 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,047,518 times
The job of an elected representative is to promote the INTERESTS of his or her constituents, not their scrambled-brains OPINIONS.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:04 AM

2,683 posts, read 2,193,209 times
Quote:

No, I haven't been to one personally, I based my post on videos I have seen on tv and YouTube, and on news articles. I don't think that politicians disagreeing with their constituents is anything new; and what constitutes lies is often the result of a partisan perspective. What is new is a much more aggressive attitude on the part of people who attend these meetings.

I don't say this because I am a big Trump supporter -- I did not vote for him -- however its clear that the new attitude is part of a general effort to "resist" the administration, and that some of these town hall protests are being orchestrated by people who do not live in the area. I don't think that this effort accomplishes anything positive. It will not change the Administration's policies. In fact, I think that past a certain point it only makes the protesters' behavior the issue, distracts from the real issues, and may well antagonize the people at the center that both parties would like to attract to their camp.

Virginia, in particular, was a closer call than it should have been, particularly with Kaine running. I wouldn't be surprised if VA goes red in 2020, and the Town Hall protests are not going to help in any way. People who want to resist Trump policies and take back the White House would be well advised to rethink their strategy.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:33 PM

2,543 posts, read 3,752,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
She has more Muslim-Americans in her district than any other Republican in America and her district swung heavily against Republicans in 16. Shes terrified and probably wishes Hillary Clinton won.

She might be THE top target in 2018.
I heard Carly Fiorina is going to run against her in the next cycle.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:42 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,297,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I heard Carly Fiorina is going to run against her in the next cycle.
No. she thinks she can run for Tim Kaine's spot as senator.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ace/index.html

Old 02-28-2017, 07:58 PM

76 posts, read 87,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
I don't say this because I am a big Trump supporter -- I did not vote for him -- however its clear that the new attitude is part of a general effort to "resist" the administration, and that some of these town hall protests are being orchestrated by people who do not live in the area.
"Orchestrated by people outside."

Northern Virginia is a liberal hotbed, why would it need to come from outside? The 10th District has a lot of people who have reason to be upset about these very matters.

I dislike this kind of conspiracy theory stuff- even/especially minor conspiracy theories used to discount discontent.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:30 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,548,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
There are many threads in the Politics forum that highlight that over 20 democrat senators are up for re-election in 2018 with over 10 of those is states where Trump won by double digits. Assuming that either the Senate or House will swing is pure speculation. Trump has been President only a month. Its going to be a long ride for 47 more months. Should be fun.
Um, no its not specticulation. Willard Romey won the district by 2% and Donny Trump lost the district by 10%. Let me fill you in - college-educated folks hate Donny - and VA-10 has one of the highest concentrations of college-educated folks in America. Just like the Philly burbs, just like the Denver burbs, and just like the Orange County burbs. 4+ Republicans could lose their seats alone in Southern California for the same reason Barbara is on the run.

Orange County is the HOME of the modern GOP -Reagan, Goldwater, et al, and they are even running for their lives.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:24 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,515,566 times
Quote:
Most of it seems like a cross between Real Housewives, social media pranksters and "cash me outside’ girl" all trying to get on National TV or get viewed.

When was the last Town Hall you had interest in or attended? If you have legitimate concerns that you feel need to be addressed try writing a nice letter and getting signatures. Sure you will not get you 15 minutes of fame of get to be validated by a crowd of people who just want to see lougmouths but if you want to get things done you can still address them as well as you could in a Town Hall.

I am glad that many are not holding town halls and feeding into the nonsense. If you do not like it do not vote for them....again.

Frankly this is not a Republican problem. If the Democratic party would have chosen a better candidate they would have easily won. I feel both candidates were flawed and was not supportive of either. I even read on this forum that some democrats were voting for Trump in the primaries. Well they got what they wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia