Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 09:29 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,497,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Um, no its not specticulation. Willard Romey won the district by 2% and Donny Trump lost the district by 10%. Let me fill you in - college-educated folks hate Donny - and VA-10 has one of the highest concentrations of college-educated folks in America. Just like the Philly burbs, just like the Denver burbs, and just like the Orange County burbs. 4+ Republicans could lose their seats alone in Southern California for the same reason Barbara is on the run.

Orange County is the HOME of the modern GOP -Reagan, Goldwater, et al, and they are even running for their lives.
You do not need to fill me in. The media has done that enough. I remember turning on the TV at 11:30 or so election night expecting to see that Hillary had won and they were speaking about how it looked like Trump could win. I was shocked. But what did they say? They basically went on a 3-4 hour insult fest that stated that it was uneducated white males that were voting for him. The press continued to insult and disenfranchise even after losing the election. After the election I was in shock but fine but after the inauguration I had to switch off NPR because the whining was so bad.

I now listen to Del Sol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 10:04 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,463,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Most of it seems like a cross between Real Housewives, social media pranksters and "cash me outsidegirl" all trying to get on National TV or get viewed.

When was the last Town Hall you had interest in or attended? If you have legitimate concerns that you feel need to be addressed try writing a nice letter and getting signatures. Sure you will not get you 15 minutes of fame of get to be validated by a crowd of people who just want to see lougmouths but if you want to get things done you can still address them as well as you could in a Town Hall.

I am glad that many are not holding town halls and feeding into the nonsense. If you do not like it do not vote for them....again.

Frankly this is not a Republican problem. If the Democratic party would have chosen a better candidate they would have easily won. I feel both candidates were flawed and was not supportive of either. I even read on this forum that some democrats were voting for Trump in the primaries. Well they got what they wanted.
"I even read on this forum that some democrats were voting for Trump in the primaries."

That's because the smug, arrogant people in NoVa think their opinion is the only opinion that counts and believed the media's mocking, condescending, sanctimonious attitude that Hillary would trounce Trump.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
"I even read on this forum that some democrats were voting for Trump in the primaries."

That's because the smug, arrogant people in NoVa think their opinion is the only opinion that counts and believed the media's mocking, condescending, sanctimonious attitude that Hillary would trounce Trump.
In all fairness I think that this is a common problem that crosses all party lines, genders, social status.

But really this whole thread should be in the political forum.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:10 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,132,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Um, no its not specticulation. Willard Romey won the district by 2% and Donny Trump lost the district by 10%. Let me fill you in - college-educated folks hate Donny - and VA-10 has one of the highest concentrations of college-educated folks in America. Just like the Philly burbs, just like the Denver burbs, and just like the Orange County burbs. 4+ Republicans could lose their seats alone in Southern California for the same reason Barbara is on the run.

Orange County is the HOME of the modern GOP -Reagan, Goldwater, et al, and they are even running for their lives.
"College educated folks", "running for their lives"? I write about people like you here in Northern Virginia.
You're on a speeding train out of society and still don't know it!

Old 03-03-2017, 05:41 AM

Default crème de la crème

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
"College educated folks", "running for their lives"? I write about people like you here in Northern Virginia.
You're on a speeding train out of society and still don't know it!
Wow, you write local content? That is pretty impressive and you must be important. If only there were more outlets for people to write their every thought or even to post video's to the world but there seem so few outlets that the people who do it must be the crème de la crème. I bow to our new writer overlords.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:58 AM

15,438 posts, read 25,857,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post

Hillary did win Virginia.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Wow, you write local content? That is pretty impressive and you must be important. If only there were more outlets for people to write their every thought or even to post video's to the world but there seem so few outlets that the people who do it must be the crème de la crème. I bow to our new writer overlords.
Exposing one's actual agenda is not difficult.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Hillary did win Virginia.
Hillary winning Virginia is like saying Democrats won the popular vote! Ultimately it didn't matter!

Old 03-03-2017, 06:26 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,185,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroiaSD View Post
"Orchestrated by people outside."

Northern Virginia is a liberal hotbed, why would it need to come from outside? The 10th District has a lot of people who have reason to be upset about these very matters.

I dislike this kind of conspiracy theory stuff- even/especially minor conspiracy theories used to discount discontent.

And I dislike using the term conspiracy as an easy way to discredit facts.
VA is indeed liberal, in the North at least, and many of the protesters are no doubt "real," but there have been efforts nationwide to recruit and organize protesters for townhalls and other events, and its not too far fetched to think that has happened in our State.
https://www.indivisibleguide.com/
http://archive.is/8OwTw
Center for the Working Poor
Anti-Trump protests are paid and staged, Craigslist reveals

I won't cite the many conservative news sources to that effect, since they can't all be trusted, but there are enough reports out there. I'm not suggesting that people don't have real grievances, that they should not voice them, or that they should not organize to voice them. What I have a problem with is the idea that "resistance" and disruption are suddenly a respectable end in themselves for people over the age of thirty. Sorry, but if you go to a Town Hall meeting and shout down a speaker when in fact you have nothing of substance to say, you're not really helping anybody or anything.

As somebody who has voted Democrat in some prior Presidential elections (not the last one), I believe that this tactic may be satisfying at some level, but it is preaching to the choir and, if anything, will damage the Democrats efforts to draw back centrist voters.

Last edited by CapnTrips; 03-03-2017 at 06:56 AM..

Old 03-03-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Exposing one's actual agenda is not difficult.
That goes both ways. Also being a local content writer does not seem to be that difficult anymore with things like blogs, Facebook and Twitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
And I dislike using the term conspiracy as an easy way to discredit facts.
VA is indeed liberal, in the North at least, and many of the protesters are no doubt "real," but there have been efforts nationwide to recruit and organize protesters for townhalls and other events, and its not too far fetched to think that has happened in our State.
https://www.indivisibleguide.com/
http://archive.is/8OwTw
Center for the Working Poor
Anti-Trump protests are paid and staged, Craigslist reveals

I won't cite the many conservative news sources to that effect, since they can't all be trusted, but there are enough reports out there. I'm not suggesting that people don't have real grievances, that they should not voice them, or that they should not organize to voice them. What I have a problem with is the idea that "resistance" and disruption are suddenly a respectable end in themselves for people over the age of thirty. Sorry, but if you go to a Town Hall meeting and shout down a speaker when in fact you have nothing of substance to say, you're not really helping anybody or anything.

As somebody who has voted Democrat in some prior Presidential elections (not the last one), I believe that this tactic may be satisfying at some level, but it is preaching to the choir and, if anything, will damage the Democrats efforts to draw back centrist voters.
I totally agree with you. I am not against this stuff because I support Trump I am against it because I do not like nor trust the motives, actions and agendas of the people doing it. I would not care if it was Clinton. Being loud is not a replacement for being intelligent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia