Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2008, 11:59 PM

28 posts, read 103,275 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I have a number of potential job opportunities that I may be acting upon pretty soon in Fairfax County. This would obviously imply I would be moving to NOVA. My budget would only allow for apartments peaking at $1,100/month. I have researched & found that there are apartments this cheap, but how hard is it to actually get into them (application process, availability etc...) Do you guys have any suggestions as to where I should look (location/apartment complex)? Also, do any of you know if any complexes give County or Public Safety Officials rent discounts? My job would be working for Fairfax County, and I'm not real sure as to where I'd be "stationed". I know overall traffic is worse in NOVA then Hampton Roads, but not a drastic change so I can cope. I also like the idea of low crime, as the most "crime ridden" areas of NOVA are safe by Hampton/Newport News/Norfolk standards. Any insight anyone has would be greatly appreciated! Also, I've seen how childish some of these forums can escalate to, so if anyone wants to express strong political or religious views somewhere along the line please do that elsewhere.

Respectfully Submitted,

potential NOVA resident
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 04:57 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,932,450 times
Can't help much with apartment issues, but you really need to have some idea of where, exactly, you'll be working before you start considering housing options. Fairfax County is very large, and it can take well over an hour to get from one point to another during rush hour periods.
I know that some apartment complexes have given discounts to police officers in the past, but usually those places are located in high-crime areas. Your best source on that issue would be your potential employer.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:14 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,816,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwbagz21 View Post
Hello all, I have a number of potential job opportunities that I may be acting upon pretty soon in Fairfax County. This would obviously imply I would be moving to NOVA. My budget would only allow for apartments peaking at $1,100/month. I have researched & found that there are apartments this cheap, but how hard is it to actually get into them (application process, availability etc...) Do you guys have any suggestions as to where I should look (location/apartment complex)? Also, do any of you know if any complexes give County or Public Safety Officials rent discounts? My job would be working for Fairfax County, and I'm not real sure as to where I'd be "stationed". I know overall traffic is worse in NOVA then Hampton Roads, but not a drastic change so I can cope. I also like the idea of low crime, as the most "crime ridden" areas of NOVA are safe by Hampton/Newport News/Norfolk standards. Any insight anyone has would be greatly appreciated! Also, I've seen how childish some of these forums can escalate to, so if anyone wants to express strong political or religious views somewhere along the line please do that elsewhere.

Respectfully Submitted,

potential NOVA resident
as a fellow Hampton Roads native, i can safely say $1100 will be good enough to get you a decent 1 bedroom in most of Fairfax Co and even Alexandria City. You would have to be more specific in your location to get any definite recommendations like claremarie said.

Also i disagree with "most places in NoVA being safe by HPT/NN/NFK standards." I'm more scared in areas like Bailey's Crossroads, Rt. 1 in the Ffx. Co Alexandria, Springfield Mall area, and Arlandria than most of HR and I lived right around Mercury Blvd in Hampton and have also been around Park place and The East End on occasion.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:12 PM

Yeah, I know Fairfax County is very large land wise, so unfortunately I can't get clear recommendations of apartment complexes etc :-( Hopefully in the near future I can narrow this down. One of the reasons I first considered moving to NOVA was the quality of life difference. I know everyone has their own idea of what "quality of life" is (traffic, cost of living) etc..., but being to NOVA many times I'm pretty satisfied. And you may very well feel more in danger in NOVA, but I do work in law enforcement in East End and crime analyzation on a state wide base, so the low crime rate in NOVA per capita really drew me in along with the quality of life there. For example, the population alone in Newport News is now estimated at around 180,000, while Fairfax County is over 1,000,000; yet in 2006 Newport News alone had 19 murders vs. Fairfax County's 10. But all this doesn't even really matter I guess, you mentioned Bailey's Crossroads (I'm familiar with the others listed) what other places in the Area should I steer away from? Thanks for your input. Also, do you happen to be a Nationals fan? Would you know the average travel time to the stadium (factoring in traffic of course).

Again, thank you

Old 04-01-2008, 06:21 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,816,786 times
Quote:
Yeah, I know Fairfax County is very large land wise, so unfortunately I can't get clear recommendations of apartment complexes etc :-( Hopefully in the near future I can narrow this down. One of the reasons I first considered moving to NOVA was the quality of life difference. I know everyone has their own idea of what "quality of life" is (traffic, cost of living) etc..., but being to NOVA many times I'm pretty satisfied. And you may very well feel more in danger in NOVA, but I do work in law enforcement in East End and crime analyzation on a state wide base, so the low crime rate in NOVA per capita really drew me in along with the quality of life there. For example, the population alone in Newport News is now estimated at around 180,000, while Fairfax County is over 1,000,000; yet in 2006 Newport News alone had 19 murders vs. Fairfax County's 10. But all this doesn't even really matter I guess, you mentioned Bailey's Crossroads (I'm familiar with the others listed) what other places in the Area should I steer away from? Thanks for your input. Also, do you happen to be a Nationals fan? Would you know the average travel time to the stadium (factoring in traffic of course).

Again, thank you
Some other places i'd stay away from are the Arlandria neighborhood in Alexandria City, Most complexes on Rt. 1 south of I-495 and North of Ft. Belvoir, The immediate area around Springfield Mall. Other than that you should be safe.

Sorry I'm a LA Angels fan. Whatever you do, dont drive to a Nats game the parking is a killer with the new stadium. Metro is the way to go.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:18 AM

Is there any place in NOVA that most people would agree on as far as being able to support living without a car? i.e. using the Metro, taxis, buses etc...

Old 04-02-2008, 11:10 AM

8,985 posts, read 21,201,008 times
Arlington and Alexandria.

Quote:
Is there any place in NOVA that most people would agree on as far as being able to support living without a car? i.e. using the Metro, taxis, buses etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia