Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2008, 09:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,002 times

Advertisements

We have just moved here from living in Germany for 10 years (Army). We have been here three weeks and living in a hotel. We wanted to move to Fairfax County because of Orange Hunt ES's German immersion program. However, we are having sticker shock. Have been looking at Lake Terrapin and Mount Clair area since the schools seem good and our money goes farther. Our realtor is also only showing us this area. We have been driving around trying to find good areas within my husband's commute to the Northern part of Belvoir. We are even contemplating building somewhere. With me currently on LWOP from the Fed gov't our budget is up to 450. Any input would be greatly appreciated. We plan on being here at least four years til his retirement and maybe longer with all the job opportunities here.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 03:31 PM

798 posts, read 2,730,968 times
You have probably already seen this but I was under the impression a number of schools had the immersion program and it seems like you may have some other options. Is your realtor knowledgeable about the programs?

Real Estate Blog - Konnichiwa-Learning A New Language In Fairfax County Schools

I would talk directly with the schools though because the last time we moved here we settled on a school district because the high school offered Japanese and our son had taken two years already and wanted to keep it up. Due to lack of interest at that particular school though, they had stopped it that year.
We moved back late this summer and our agent is European and very knowledgeable so if you would like another name, let me know..

Old 03-31-2008, 07:52 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,930,992 times
I would second the suggestion to talk directly to the school before deciding on a house. I know that the French immersion program at Kent Gardens is very popular, and even students who live in the school's attendance area are not guaranteed admission. There also may be restrictions on enrolling in the program after the first grade.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:06 PM

3 posts, read 5,236 times
Default Further South

You may want to consider further south off of 95 if your husband is working in Fort Belvoir.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:35 PM

3 posts, read 5,236 times
Default biulding is expensive at the moment.

You may want to consider rehabbing a property instead. The cost and headaces are a lot less then biulding and they simply dont biuld homes like they used to.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,002 times
Default Moving from Germany to Nova

THANK you for the replies. I will check on other schools with the immersion program. I read for Orange Hunt they would not accept after 2nd grade and my daughter is in 2nd grade. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again!

Old 04-02-2008, 06:07 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,515,697 times
I doubt you could actually buy land and build for $450
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia