Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2008, 02:16 PM

29 posts, read 98,696 times

Advertisements

My husband read this on a government site. Can anyone elaborate on the state of the job market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 03:20 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,983,863 times
It depends on what job market I would suppose, but I hear there are an abundant amount of job openings and not enough talent to fill them. They are building a new development. I think it's oneloudoun.com that will have retail, hotels, a new school, different residential units and other things that will open up many new jobs.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:44 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,224 times
The entire DC area is generally known for having more jobs than people available to fill them. While Loudoun County does have quite a few jobs, especially in the Dulles area, Fairfax County is definitely the job epicenter in Northern VA, and in general for the whole region, behind DC proper. As tamitrail mentioned though it will depend on the job market, tech for instance probably isn't in a surplus as AOL recently moved their headquarters to NY and Sprint/Nextel consolidated their Reston HQ with the main one in Kansas City.

That being said this area boasts the lowest unemployment rate in the nation for a major metro and definitely fares better during tough economic times. The federal government isn't going anywhere and Uncle Sam always finds a way to spend money one way or another, even in recession.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:48 PM

29 posts, read 98,696 times
That's all great news! I'm very versatile - office worker, so I can pretty much go anywhere, and my husband is a self-employed tile setter. I will keep forging ahead in this area, it sounds just what we're looking for!

Thanks so much for your input!

Old 03-04-2008, 08:03 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Default Janelia Research Center

If you are looking for a job in Loudoun and have a scientific background I would check out the openings at the brand new Janelia Research Center. They are doing some cutting edge research, and HHMI is supposedly a great business to work for.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:32 PM

884 posts, read 2,642,215 times
Volkswagen is moving to Nova too and hiring..
I am searching but not being as agressive as I could be.

Anyone know why the unemployment rates are high in DC? Is it the low income population?

Old 03-04-2008, 08:45 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,224 times
Income does indeed play a role, check out this link:
Imagec-unemployment aug2006.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You will see that NW, arguably one of the city's wealthiest areas boasts an unemployment rate of around 1.5%. Several other parts of the city including Georgetown, Downtown, and the northern part of the city (not sure where the line divides between NW and NE) have unemployment rates between 3 and 5%. Compare that to the eastern and southern parts of the city, namely the lower income areas where the unemployment rates range anywhere from 7 to an astronomical 16.3%.

This info is from the DC Dept. of Employment Services and although it is about a year and a half old, it provides a pretty good picture of the employment situation in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia