Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 05:56 AM

4 posts, read 4,772 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for the insight and suggestions, this is super helpful. I got a good laugh out of the Mecca reference haha.

I didn't realize there wasn't much of a Jewish population/area in NoVA, so I'm glad I asked. Again, I'm not very religious (in fact I'm a downright terrible Jew lol), but it's nice to be around people that have at least some shared experiences and world view as you.

As noted I'll take a look at Vienna, Mantua, Alexandria, and Somerset.

And thank you for the bagel suggestion!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 10:07 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,502,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I'm a Jew from NY, living in NoVa. There is nothing Jewish here except anti-semitism. I actually didn't even know there was still anti-semitism in the USA until I moved here. There are also no neighborhoods where Jews congregate. They are all spread out. There is a big JCC, a synagogue, and a Chabad house in the Mantua/Annandale area, and a lot of Jews attend events there, but most people drive in from pretty far, and from all over, which means you can't really have a group of Jewish friends, because no one lives close enough to you to see except at the synagogue. Do not take advice from non-Jewish people about where the Jews are - they see one Jewish person and assume we all know each other and live nearby.

As for your budget, it's OK for Mclean and Vienna, but personally I like Vienna better. It's just more hip and cool and different, and property values are good there too. I can't see anyone from NYC liking the monotony of McLean.
Well this is surprising to me. I am not Jewish though.

I will say parts of your post seem to have some racist undertones though.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:44 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,904,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Well this is surprising to me. I am not Jewish though.

I will say parts of your post seem to have some racist undertones though.
Its not racist. We have plenty of newcomers internationally who wish to make a circle of friends with similar culture/language and religion. nbd

MD has a lot of what I know as Old World immigrants; Jews, Italians, Irish, Polish, etc.

VA has more New World immigrants; Saudis, Somalis, Koreans, Vietnamese, Indians, Salvadoreans, Bolivians, Peruvians, Nicaraguaians Pakistanis.
Lots of the Immigration in Nova happened in the past 30 years. My 10 year experience in Ffx County is the Afghanis and Viets have been here the longest.
You are much more likely to see Hijjab than long denim skirts and knit hats in nova but there are various temples here, from Reform to Chabad. I have yet to see a Mitzvah Tank in Nova which I just find sad

Old 04-18-2017, 02:55 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,469,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoDMV View Post
Thank you everyone for the insight and suggestions, this is super helpful. I got a good laugh out of the Mecca reference haha.

I didn't realize there wasn't much of a Jewish population/area in NoVA, so I'm glad I asked. Again, I'm not very religious (in fact I'm a downright terrible Jew lol), but it's nice to be around people that have at least some shared experiences and world view as you.

As noted I'll take a look at Vienna, Mantua, Alexandria, and Somerset.

And thank you for the bagel suggestion!!
I grew up in Somerset. Granted the houses are smaller but it is great place and so many of the homes are being expanded. I'm also surprised at the number of kids I grew up with who are now living in the houses. The sense of community is fantastic -- with the pool, tennis etc. Just a great neighborhood.

Had jobs not taken us elsewhere, I'd live there again in a heartbeat. I'm not Jewish but we had many wonderful Jewish neighbors. Temple Sinai on Military Road always seemed to be a popular one.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia