Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 01:04 PM

4 posts, read 4,737 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading these forums quite a bit recently, as my wife and I are planning on moving to NoVA or MD in the next three months. Thanks to everyone for their insight, this has been an incredible resource.

Some background: I grew up in Potomac, MD and went to an IAC private school. Growing up I never in a million years would have thought I'd be interested in moving to NoVA, and yet here we are. As people that grew up in the MD/DC/VA area can attest, there is very much a VA vs. MD rivalry (including all the obligatory "people from virginia can't drive" jokes that my parents used to make... im sure VA parents said/say the same thing about MD drivers haha).

Nonetheless, as an adult I'm finding it harder to see the value proposition in moving back to MD other than being a shorter drive to my parents. My office is in DC, and knowing 495 traffic hell, the car ride from Potomac/Bethesda vs. McLean/Great Falls/Vienna is going to be comparable. And if I take the Metro it's 6 in one, half a dozen in the other. Lower income and property taxes are way more attractive to me, VA is still a swing state kinda (MD has no hope), and from what I gather the public schools in NoVA are just as good as Churchill and Wootton.

I'd like to be in an area of NoVA that is somewhat similar to where I grew up in Potomac, from a values, work ethic, and cultural perspective (twice a year high holy days jew that loves bacon and crabs, with just enough yiddish slang to make you feel at "home"). I want a backyard where the kids can play, have a little room between myself and my neighbors (nothing crazy, just don't want to stare into their bedroom), some dining and grocery options not too far away, and don't really want to be further out than Great Falls.

Our budget and income are as follows: $250k income (can flex up to $325k), one child so far, hoping to spend between $800k-$1.1mm on a house, looking for at least 3k sq ft. Moving out of NYC is going to be a huge cost savings for us, both taxes and general cost of living wise so that's nice. We're early/mid 30s, and would love to be around families with young kids as well, from a neighborhood perspective.

It's been over a decade since I lived in the DC area and it seems a lot has changed; holy reston, what's a silver line?, people talk about leesburg now?, that whole Rio area in Gaithersburg has blown up, and now I hear about this place called Clarksburg in MD that a bunch of young families are moving to, crazy.

Can I get some guidance as it relates to the differences between living in McLean and Great Falls? Should we consider Vienna? I'd like to be in the Langley/McLean/etc high school districts just from a property value perspective. Open to other schools, but just an area that allows for stable home prices due to the strong schools. Is the budget we want to stay in feasible or are we really in the low end of those neighborhoods and not going to have much to choose from? Being a young family are there certain areas that may be better for us? Are some areas known for having what I call "Potomac Jews" (they don't really practice, aren't super religious, except for going twice a year, but culturally it's nice, and who doesn't like a nice bagel spread). I just don't know the intricacies and neighborhood dynamics of NoVA like I do Potomac, Bethesda, Rockville, etc.

Thank you for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 06:55 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,118,571 times
FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS

OP - Just move to McLean. It's where you want to be.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:16 PM

4 posts, read 4,737 times
First world problems? Have you searched Zillow recently?

Sorry if my post rubbed you the wrong way but my income and budget for NoVA and MoCo is nothing to brag about, and I would venture that many people living in the neighborhoods im asking about are in a similar financial situation. Not sure why you felt the need to respond that way. There was nothing bragdadocious. I don't know th differences between McLean, Great Falls, Vienna, etc hence my post.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:33 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,246,150 times
OK - I'll give this a shot - but recognize that I'm a little outside my usual area of commenting (Reston). If you want a neighborhood for your kids to play in you probably won't find that in Great Falls. Great Falls has large to very large lots (think acres) and you will be driving your kids everywhere just for a play date. Your budget is a the bottom of Great Falls. McLean is probably where you want to be, but with your budget you probably won't like the houses that are being offered. Up your budget a few 100K and you may like what you see in McLean - great schools, neighborhoods and commute. As for Vienna, it will probably give you the best sense of community. Looking at the top of your budget you will find nice homes. Vienna is in the middle of a massive transition, knocking down all the brick ranches and building big new craftsman houses. Schools in Vienna are great, but may not rank as highly as those in McLean - though there is probably not much difference in the education that a motivated child can receive. The commute from Vienna will be the longest of the three, but you also have the METRO Orange line.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:13 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,783,646 times
Hi NYCtoDMV,

I lived in Maryland (primarily Rockville, Bethesda area) for 10 years from 1989 to 1999. Then I lived in NoVa (primarily Vienna) from 1999 to 2012. And I am Jewish (no bacon or crab, though) so I can offer some perspective. NoVA seemed more down-to-earth to me (at least Vienna did) than Bethesda/Rockville ever did, although I did love living in downtown Bethesda. McLean/Great Falls is probably less so, but I didn't live there, so I don't really know. Vienna is really a nice family-oriented town with good schools, although in the past 10 years, they have been knocking down the smaller homes with large $1M+ homes, so the flavor of the town is changing to more upscale. I loved living in Vienna with my family.

Culturally, it will not feel like Potomac at all, with regard to Jewish population. Potomac/Rockville and all of Montgomery County have a much larger Jewish population than NoVa does. And Fairfax County Public Schools, while they will excuse absenses for the Jewish holidays, do not have off for those holidays like they do in Montgomery. There are Jews spread out in NoVa, though, primarily between Reston and Arlington, but not a concentration in any area, with the sole exception being the Mantua area of Fairfax which is near the NoVA JCC. High school is Woodson. In Vienna my kids only had a few other children in their grade who were Jewish but there was great diversity of religions/ethnicities there.

For bagels, we did always like Tysons Bagel Bakery. But still went to Bethesda Bagels or Bagel City when we were up in Rockville. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:05 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,721,982 times
Seems like the Mecca--oops, I mean epicenter--for progressive Jews around here is Bethesda and maybe on over to Silver Spring. Not to say there aren't Jewish people in VA, but as noted, they're not clustered in any given place.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:01 PM

153 posts, read 173,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoDMV View Post
Hi Everyone,

I've been reading these forums quite a bit recently, as my wife and I are planning on moving to NoVA or MD in the next three months. Thanks to everyone for their insight, this has been an incredible resource.

Some background: I grew up in Potomac, MD and went to an IAC private school. Growing up I never in a million years would have thought I'd be interested in moving to NoVA, and yet here we are. As people that grew up in the MD/DC/VA area can attest, there is very much a VA vs. MD rivalry (including all the obligatory "people from virginia can't drive" jokes that my parents used to make... im sure VA parents said/say the same thing about MD drivers haha).

Nonetheless, as an adult I'm finding it harder to see the value proposition in moving back to MD other than being a shorter drive to my parents. My office is in DC, and knowing 495 traffic hell, the car ride from Potomac/Bethesda vs. McLean/Great Falls/Vienna is going to be comparable. And if I take the Metro it's 6 in one, half a dozen in the other. Lower income and property taxes are way more attractive to me, VA is still a swing state kinda (MD has no hope), and from what I gather the public schools in NoVA are just as good as Churchill and Wootton.

I'd like to be in an area of NoVA that is somewhat similar to where I grew up in Potomac, from a values, work ethic, and cultural perspective (twice a year high holy days jew that loves bacon and crabs, with just enough yiddish slang to make you feel at "home"). I want a backyard where the kids can play, have a little room between myself and my neighbors (nothing crazy, just don't want to stare into their bedroom), some dining and grocery options not too far away, and don't really want to be further out than Great Falls.

Our budget and income are as follows: $250k income (can flex up to $325k), one child so far, hoping to spend between $800k-$1.1mm on a house, looking for at least 3k sq ft. Moving out of NYC is going to be a huge cost savings for us, both taxes and general cost of living wise so that's nice. We're early/mid 30s, and would love to be around families with young kids as well, from a neighborhood perspective.

It's been over a decade since I lived in the DC area and it seems a lot has changed; holy reston, what's a silver line?, people talk about leesburg now?, that whole Rio area in Gaithersburg has blown up, and now I hear about this place called Clarksburg in MD that a bunch of young families are moving to, crazy.

Can I get some guidance as it relates to the differences between living in McLean and Great Falls? Should we consider Vienna? I'd like to be in the Langley/McLean/etc high school districts just from a property value perspective. Open to other schools, but just an area that allows for stable home prices due to the strong schools. Is the budget we want to stay in feasible or are we really in the low end of those neighborhoods and not going to have much to choose from? Being a young family are there certain areas that may be better for us? Are some areas known for having what I call "Potomac Jews" (they don't really practice, aren't super religious, except for going twice a year, but culturally it's nice, and who doesn't like a nice bagel spread). I just don't know the intricacies and neighborhood dynamics of NoVA like I do Potomac, Bethesda, Rockville, etc.

Thank you for the help!
Based on your budget and other specifications, I recommend that you look at the Mantua area of Fairfax County -- located off Little River Turnpike between Fairfax City and the Beltway. The neighborhood's elementary and middle schools feed into Woodson High School, which I consider on par with Langley and McLean. I have a Jewish colleague who moved to Mantua from another part of Fairfax County two years ago and loves it.

Old 04-14-2017, 04:14 PM

1,110 posts, read 895,910 times
I am not Jewish, but Alexandria, VA has a Jewish mayor, several synagogues, and many nice established neighborhoods.

See these resources:

Arlington/Alexandria | Jconnect of The Jewish Federation

ISJL - Virginia Alexandria Encyclopedia - Institute of Southern Jewish Life

Synagogues in Alexandria - Shuls in Alexandria - Jewish Temples in Alexandria

Old 04-14-2017, 04:34 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,864 times
I'm a Jew from NY, living in NoVa. There is nothing Jewish here except anti-semitism. I actually didn't even know there was still anti-semitism in the USA until I moved here. There are also no neighborhoods where Jews congregate. They are all spread out. There is a big JCC, a synagogue, and a Chabad house in the Mantua/Annandale area, and a lot of Jews attend events there, but most people drive in from pretty far, and from all over, which means you can't really have a group of Jewish friends, because no one lives close enough to you to see except at the synagogue. Do not take advice from non-Jewish people about where the Jews are - they see one Jewish person and assume we all know each other and live nearby.

As for your budget, it's OK for Mclean and Vienna, but personally I like Vienna better. It's just more hip and cool and different, and property values are good there too. I can't see anyone from NYC liking the monotony of McLean.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:29 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,443,903 times
Grew up in Chevy Chase, lived in Potomac, did the Bullis, St. Andrews thing with our kids. Lots of Jewish friends.

Now in Va. It's very different. Seriously don't think there's a single Jewish family in my neighborhood. I'm in loudoun but in several organizations knowing a lot of people in McLean/great falls. Not so much anti-Semitic just that there's not that many.

With your budget, look in Somerset or off Falls Road. You'll be much happier. Best of luck

Last edited by LynchburgLover; 04-14-2017 at 07:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia