Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 05:16 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times

Advertisements

If someone is that sensitive to sound, perhaps they should live in a very rural area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2022, 06:22 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
If someone is that sensitive to sound, perhaps they should live in a very rural area?
And not be climbing ladders...

Old 09-20-2022, 06:28 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Fort Belvoir loves helicopters. I'll wager that is where most are flying out of, especially at night.

Old 09-23-2022, 01:30 PM

7 posts, read 3,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Surely, you cannot be suggesting that, due to your disability, that all helicopter and plane traffic over Alexandria must cease? From what you write, it is not the cumulation of noise, each and every instance can cause you pain and or serious injury (falling off the ladder). If that is the case, for your own health, please move somewhere that is far away from an international airport and flight paths to limit these incidents.

If I am someone that is severely affected by heat, and get heat stroke whenever it is above 85 degrees, I cannot expect sympathy if I choose to live in Miami.
Not at all. There has to be a healthy balance. Interests of one group cannot always prevail. What I am personally very sad about is that interests of Autistic people are literally NEVER considered.

The City could have set up a noise free area within the City or right outside of it, where we could go. As far as I know, they were working on something like this in Australia. When I contacted the City and asked what resources they have for Autistic adults, I never heard back. They just closed 311 request without resolution.

Increasing altitude would also reduce the noise. Please understand that my home now is right in the flight path and they often fly below 200 feet. Noise from them is 80-95 Db. I can barely tolerate 40 Db.

I have considered moving to a rural area. While I would be OK with it, my family members who have to work in DC would not be, so right now, sadly, that is not possible. Add to that having a very limited income. This, by the way, is a very common problem for Autistic community. Many of us are underemployed or unemployed. Yet, many disability services and devices cost in the hundreds of dollars. A pair of good noise-cancelling headphones capable of knocking off at least 40 Db can cost between $300-900 and a specialized therapy session can cost $450.

Old 09-24-2022, 06:18 AM

491 posts, read 393,701 times
I feel for you Anna and those in your shoes. But choppers are just a way of life in cities such as DC and NY. No way of escaping this at all. Take the med flights. Military, law enforcement and so on and there is no stopping it. And I cannot imagine the logistical nightmare with this statement of yours......"The City could have set up a noise free area within the City or right outside of it, where we could go." . This in itself would so difficult to control and law enforcement needs exemptions as do the med flights. I've flown with USPP many times and there is no restricting them except for things like the White House area. I understand this is something that can bother many with sensitivities to loud noises but I see no real answers available on how to avoid them while living in this area.

Old 09-26-2022, 05:45 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
You don’t have to move to a rural area. There are areas in the DC Metro area where the noise isn’t like that.

Old 09-26-2022, 02:08 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Gray View Post
This is NOT sound of security. This is sound of pain, suffering, and sorrow. I am Autistic. I hear things 20 times louder than you and have hearing range of 1 mile. I have damaged all of my limbs because of the loud aircraft noise. My left leg is fractured due to exposure to loud helicopter noise. I live in constant pain and have since developed PTSD to that noise. Since they continue to fly here, I became suicidal. I feel dizzy and cannot see anything when I hear helicopter noise. One-sided world view of the neurotypicals like you has never ceased to amaze me.

Now to who is responsible. The FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) regulates movement of all air traffic over the city. I have tried to talk to them. They chose to hide from me like the useless cowards they are. I also talked to the Alexandria mayor. He was very courteous but also completely useless. There are 27 helipads in our area. Some belong to police agencies, such as Fairfax PD, some - to the military, including Pentagon, some - to the hospitals, especially Inova Hospital.

The FAA supposedly had a committee "studying" the issue. Since none of the Autistic people were included in these "studies", I have all reasons to not believe in their truthfulness and usefulness. When those most affected by the issue are not even considered, then the "study" is no more than another lie to escape liability.

Congressman Beyer has set up helicopter noise complaint system here: https://beyer.house.gov/uploadedfile...tive_flyer.pdf Me and my caregiver have been filing the complaints for a few months now. So far, nothing has come out of it.
The FAA has its own aircraft noise complaint system here: https://noise.faa.gov/noise/pages/noise.html

I have found an aviation attorney and plan to sue the FAA under Federal Torts Claims Act for nuisance and trespass. I suggest you all do the same.

Some of the cities (such as Los Angeles and Phoenix) in the past have successfully sued the FAA over the same and similar issues. Our dear city of Alexandria apparently chose not to do so, even though they, too, have successfully sued the FAA in the past (1983).
YES, that is exactly what you said...... please read your own words highlighted above.

Sorry about it, but you didn't express your accident correctly.

FYI, less than 1% of the population are on the autistic spectrum to your degree.
The needs of many normally outweigh the needs of a few, especially in this case.

MOVE! Do everything in your power to move where the environment better suits you.

Old 09-26-2022, 06:02 PM

20,096 posts, read 8,998,912 times
ear plugs or move, your choice.

Old 09-26-2022, 10:06 PM

319 posts, read 278,576 times
So you moved to the epicenter of military and government and are bothered by aircraft noise? The Pentagon wont care if it bothers you, they will say if you don't like it then move.

Old 10-03-2022, 03:39 PM

7 posts, read 3,098 times
On Tuesday September 27th, military helicopters flew over my home every 20 minutes. In the evening of that day, police and the city psychologist went to my home to prevent my suicide.

Imagine a war veteran who has PTSD to the sound of gunfire. Now subject him to this sound every 20 minutes. What do you think will happen to him?..

So you moved to the epicenter of military and government and are bothered by aircraft noise?

I moved here in 2017. It was not like this then. Otherwise, I would not have moved here.

There are areas in the DC Metro area where the noise isn’t like that.

Do you know where? I would appreciate an address if you know it. Thank you.

ear plugs or move, your choice.

I have acute fungal ear infection from wearing earplugs and earbuds all the time. Blood and other unsightly liquids are coming out of my ears. It also causes severe pain. So it is not my choice anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia