Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 05:28 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,671,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Walker View Post
I'm a huge fan of the Great American Restaurant chain. We go to Mike's frequently. I'm looking for something different to celebrate Mother's Day.

We were at the Inn at Mount Vernon last Wednesday. I'm not a fan of their menu and service was sub par.
We had our company Christmas party at Osteria Marzano and I know the owner. I'm looking for something different and good.

What do you like about A La Lucia and Bamian?

I'm not a fan of Lebanese food.

I'm not a fan of Eddie V's. I'll check out the reviews on Seasons 52. What do you like at this restaurant?

Never heard of this spot. What do you like at this restaurant?

This place is top-chef! I've heard that it's one of Colin Powell's favorites places in Mclean. Personally, I can vouch for the sirloin and Yukon potatoes. Everything was cooked to perfection. The service is impeccable and the ambiance is very romantic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 05:50 PM

22,536 posts, read 12,085,996 times
I like Seasons 52 as it is all about low calorie meals, healthy eating---nothing is deep fried.

If you like steak, you have your choice in the Tysons area --- Capital Grille, Fleming's, Wildfire and Ruths Chris.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:57 AM

6,579 posts, read 8,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
If you like steak, you have your choice in the Tysons area --- Capital Grille, Fleming's, Wildfire and Ruths Chris.
LOVE Wildfire's steak with the horseradish crust. Yum!

Old 05-15-2017, 07:02 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,698,129 times
So, OP, where did you end up?

Old 05-15-2017, 10:18 AM

406 posts, read 627,180 times
Thumbs down Underwhelmed by The Capital Grille in DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
So, OP, where did you end up?
Thanks for following up with me.

We decided to eat brunch at The Captial Grille in DC.

The mother's day brunch cost $49/adult and $15 per kid with $12 option for bottomless mimosas.

Here's my review:

My server, Cort, was great. We enjoyed the atmosphere and the selection from the mother's day menu. Service was timely and everyone enjoyed the bread service.

My entree was terrible. I ordered the salmon with greens. The fish came out over cooked and tough. My server was on top of it. He took my order for an updated dish. I chose the filet because we were pressed for time and I did not want to hold up the process for my family during our mother's day celebration.

The filet came out over cooked. I'm surprised by this because I've heard such great things about this restaurant. When you know you're spending the amount of money we are spending you have different expectations.

Cort was on it. He immediately expressed his concerns and ordered another filet. A manager offered me a complimentary appetizer while I waited for entrée.

The other members in my party, wife and 2 kids ages 6 & 8, are finished with their meals and waiting for me to be served/finish my course.

My steak came out in a quick fashion. It was tender and perfectly cooked the 2nd time. I served portions of my steak to my kids because they were getting restless with nothing to do but watch me eat.

This review is about the food. Our waiter was funny, attentive, and showed empathy towards my circumstance. My dish was comped. The meal was already ruined because my expectations were not met.

At this price range, any restaurant in the area is within our options. I chose this place because of its reputation. I will not eat at this establishment or recommend it to anyone for any occasion.

If you go, ask for Cort. He's a great waiter.

Side note: I use to wait tables and understand the frustration the waiter must have felt because he doesn't control what is served. If you don't have anywhere else to go except this place, ask for Cort because he's amazing.

Dry Salmon Entree

My wife enjoyed her aged bone-in new york strip. She raved about the potatoes.

I'm a sucker for a good shrimp cocktail. The sauce was great and the shrimp were cooked perfectly.

Creme Brulee was warmer than I'd like. This is because of the shallow dish it's served in. They torch the top right before it's served which increases the internal temperature of the dish. This is understandable and not expected at such a nice restaurant.
Attached Thumbnails
Mother's Day Restaurant Ideas-20170514_133541.jpg   Mother's Day Restaurant Ideas-20170514_133616.jpg   Mother's Day Restaurant Ideas-20170514_140011.jpg   Mother's Day Restaurant Ideas-20170514_142900.jpg  

Old 05-15-2017, 10:33 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,698,129 times
Thanks for the update. That's too bad about the overcooking. I always think that this happens during those "holidays" where the kitchen is mostly likely overwhelmed, but a normally very busy place should be used to it.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:24 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,461,674 times
Quote:
I know it's last minute and I'd like to take my wife to a nice dinner in the Northern Virginia area to celebrate Mother's Day. We're bringing our 2 boys (6 & 8). I'd like to keep my transit time under 40 minutes. We live in the 22315 zip code.

We've eaten at most of the 3 - 4-star chain restaurants in the area.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Took my mom and siblings to the Wharf in Alexandria. Thought it was nice.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:51 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,130,266 times
Quote:
I know it's last minute and I'd like to take my wife to a nice dinner in the Northern Virginia area to celebrate Mother's Day. We're bringing our 2 boys (6 & 8). I'd like to keep my transit time under 40 minutes. We live in the 22315 zip code.

We've eaten at most of the 3 - 4-star chain restaurants in the area.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Took out mom and family to Fogo De Chao in Tysons. The website says 3 ( $$$) but on mothers day it's more. Unbelievably good steak, chicken and anything that was brought in the Brazilian steak style restaurant for a brunch type atmosphere. Not crowded. Nice walk up veggie and appetizer area. Lost count on how many waiters and waitresses served our table.

They do the same thing for fathers day but certainly need reservations.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:45 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,039,183 times
Quote:
Plus just about all the Great American Restaurants have the exact same menu.
No, they don't. Particular dishes may be available at multiple locations at any given time, but the variety is enough to make each one distinctive.

Quote:
That said, I haven't been to Silverado so never looked at their menu.
244 at Gallows. Try the fajitas. It used to be that they were only available there.

Quote:
OP, how about Tysons Corner? Eddie V's is a good option as is Seasons 52 (both are Darden restaurants).
Eddie V's is quite nice , but it's in a loftier budget category than most places mentioned above. For the money, you could just go over to 2941 in Fairview Park and enjoy the water show along with superb food. Cafe Deluxe (next to Crate & Barrel at Tysons) is usually nice. Or you could just slide into Vienna and choose from among Clarity, Maple Avenue Restaurant, Cafe Renaissance, Ristorante Bonaroti, or Pazzo Pomodoro, all of which are apt to be excellent on any given night.

When ir comes to Mother's Day, restaurants positively hate it. It's actually a bad day to dine out. A better bet all in all would be to get with a local caterer and have an elegant meal served in the luxury of home.

Last edited by Pub-911; 05-18-2017 at 06:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia