Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 09:23 AM

857 posts, read 850,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuneycu12 View Post
Thanks Christine! What about taking the VRE from Fred to Quantico? Google says the train ride is 20-25 minutes depending on which time you get on. Is this accurate? And is the station near Quantico actually within walking distance of Quantico once hubby gets off the train? Thanks!

Having taken VRE in the past from downtown Fredericksburg (there is also a station now further south in Spotsylvania, if you end up living that way) and while the train would be under 30 minutes, parking as well as getting in and especially out of the lot at the end of the workday has taken me just 30 minutes alone.

The Quantico VRE station is 'on base' although technically in Quantico town. There are shuttles going to various locations; just depends on what building/area he will be working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 09:27 AM

857 posts, read 850,219 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for the advice! A reverse commute sounds awesome... do you recommend any areas just north of Quantico for a young family with two small kids? I love Alexandria (my sister used to live there and I fell in love with it!) but I simply cannot justify spending that much money on a home. We COULD afford the lower priced homes there, but definitely do not WANT to. I would love to stay within a 400k budget and that's just not going to happen in Alexandria unless we live in an itty bitty condo it seems, and that's not feasible for our family of 4! (My sister was single with no kids at the time and rented a one bedroom, TINY condo for over 2k a month.... eeek!)

I would say look at Dumfries or Woodbridge as those will be better commuting and more affordable but there are a quite a few on here that know those areas much better than I, so I will leave it for them to chime in.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:30 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,904,796 times
Quote:
Thanks for the input! What is your overall impression of Fredericksburg? It looks great on paper but I know actually being there can be a whole different story. What catches my interest most is the town's history- but I am definitely interested in hearing ALL the pros and cons. Would the commute from Fredericksburg to Quantico or Belvoir be feasible? What amount of time are we talking? Thanks again!
I like Fredericksburg, but as others have said, it mainly has a suburban feel, with just a small area of the historic nature. F'burg to quantico is manageable, but Belvoir is another animal , as it's a good bit still up the highway.

As also mentioned by others, Montclair is a viable option (minus the historic requirement), as it's very close (reverse commute) to quantico, and close to the highway (and a commuter lot) in the event that going North is required.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:34 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,904,796 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for the advice! A reverse commute sounds awesome... do you recommend any areas just north of Quantico for a young family with two small kids? I love Alexandria (my sister used to live there and I fell in love with it!) but I simply cannot justify spending that much money on a home. We COULD afford the lower priced homes there, but definitely do not WANT to. I would love to stay within a 400k budget and that's just not going to happen in Alexandria unless we live in an itty bitty condo it seems, and that's not feasible for our family of 4! (My sister was single with no kids at the time and rented a one bedroom, TINY condo for over 2k a month.... eeek!)
Absolutely Montclair. You'd be looking at townhomes for the most part (although currently there a couple detached in the mid-upper 300's), but there are walking paths that follow the golf course, a lake with beach, pool etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia