Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 01:40 PM

26,709 posts, read 41,868,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I am very interested to read locals experiences when 66 goes toll, esp inside the beltway. I suspect much much more vitriol and warmongering towards privatized tool systems...

FAQs about the newly approved I-66 tolls inside the Beltway | WTOP
I live off Washington Blvd near 66 and to say I'm worried about the impact of additional traffic around here would be an understatement. Even though I'm reverse commuting to Fairfax now, I know there will be pain when the tolls go live. Im holding out for my next move to be out of the area but this may force my hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 01:50 PM

40 posts, read 39,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
This is by far your biggest issue. How much more house could you buy with $500 a month since you are willing to spend it on tolls anyway? This doesn't even take into account commute time saved.

Some of my workers do the 66 trek every day and I think they are near the breaking point too.
Oh I definitely know that - I wasn't working in Tysons when we moved here but you know how that goes. We do plan on moving as soon as my kids are in school, right now we have an amazing childcare set-up that is worth the suffering for now.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:02 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,435,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I am very interested to read locals experiences when 66 goes toll, esp inside the beltway. I suspect much much more vitriol and warmongering towards privatized tool systems...
FAQs about the newly approved I-66 tolls inside the Beltway | WTOP
VDOT estimates that like half of all people driving on 66 inside the beltway during rush hour are violators. Making the lanes all toll will either push a ton of cars onto "free" roads like Rt 50 or they going to start bringing in a lot more revenue from people that can no longer escape breaking the rules.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:18 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,465,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyUserName View Post
I find most of the "I live in Arlington, 5 minutes from my office, and so should everyone else" crowd tend to have bought in 1992 when home prices were still somewhat tied to incomes.

Ask them to come up with the cash for a similar house today, and they'll be in Lake Ridge with you because they don't make enough to support a $1M house, like most of us.
And even if they successfully convinced everyone overnight to adopt their mindset, we'd then just have a demand that was about 50X the supply. So that doesn't add up...

Old 06-20-2017, 06:06 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,910,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I live off Washington Blvd near 66 and to say I'm worried about the impact of additional traffic around here would be an understatement. Even though I'm reverse commuting to Fairfax now, I know there will be pain when the tolls go live. Im holding out for my next move to be out of the area but this may force my hand.
Quote:
VDOT estimates that like half of all people driving on 66 inside the beltway during rush hour are violators. Making the lanes all toll will either push a ton of cars onto "free" roads like Rt 50 or they going to start bringing in a lot more revenue from people that can no longer escape breaking the rules.
When I lived in Merrifield, 50e/7e /Wash blvd is death in the am due to Pentagon traffic. I wonder if everyone living east of the beltway sees the flood of traffic coming onto their local local roads like you guys do. Esp from the hov3 violators (there's a lot but certainly NOT half of all commutes) who are not accountable now but sure will be when those ezpass readers come up

Old 06-20-2017, 07:02 PM

540 posts, read 793,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I don't know that the side roads will see much impact until the HOV-2 exemption expires in 2020.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that a lot of violators will just go from being HOV violators to toll violators. All you have to do is put the receiver on HOV and hope like now that you won't get caught by the cops. A lot will pay too. I'm just not sure that a lot of "cheaters" will end up on the side roads.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:38 AM

70 posts, read 84,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
I'm pretty sure that a lot of violators will just go from being HOV violators to toll violators. All you have to do is put the receiver on HOV and hope like now that you won't get caught by the cops. A lot will pay too. I'm just not sure that a lot of "cheaters" will end up on the side roads.
Except with HOT lanes, I believe the cameras will catch the toll violators. Don't need to get them on the side of the road.

Recall the people who got thousand dollar bills from the HOT lane company operating 495 and apparently "didn't know" they owed anything.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:56 PM

20,238 posts, read 9,160,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
I don't know that the side roads will see much impact until the HOV-2 exemption expires in 2020.

you don't think they have that figured out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia