Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 12:51 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times

Advertisements

" Reston limits the boats to low horsepower electric "

See, there's some regulation I like! I hate those loud freak boats.

Do people fish Reston lakes? Are they stocked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 01:42 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
I am enjoying your walks, JfromReston!

Old 06-09-2017, 01:54 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Do people fish Reston lakes? Are they stocked?
Yes people fish in all the lakes. Here are the guidelines for fishing in Reston.

The only stocking that I know about is the trout that get put in Snakeden Branch between Soapstone and Lake Audubon every spring just before the organized kids fishing day. This year they put 500 trout in two different sizes.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:58 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
D'oh! You're making me miss Reston (never thought I would say that!)

Old 06-10-2017, 07:28 AM

Default Walk #10

Today I parked on Steeplechase Drive just north of Lawyers Road to walk the pathway to the west of Steeplechase Drive.

In order to cover ALL the pathways of Reston, today's walk added a few spurs into the circular route. I started with a spur to the east of Steeplechase taking me to where I headed off the paved path a few days ago to go the the church farmers market, but first passing one of Reston's 36 tot lots (children's playgrounds).

Reston's B&B's, that would be bridges and benches!

I found another Little Free Library

Tennis courts and a tot lot.

Reston has such beautiful pathways. Today's walk was 2.2 miles.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:45 PM

Default Walk #11

I started out my day on the Reston paths with a bird walk at the Walker Nature Center. It was amazing to spend a couple hours with some fantastic birders. I learn so much every time I go on one of these walks. We identified 42 species of birds in the Walker Nature Center. This wasn't really my "walk" for the day, but it was Reston Nature at its best. My daily walks are part of my therapy regime - in the afternoon I took my Reston pathway walk.

Reston had dueling festivals today! The Love Your Body Yoga Festival was happening at Reston Town Center and Chalk on the Water was coloring the Plaza at Lake Anne.

I parked at Reston Town Center in the late afternoon - as the yoga festival was winding down. I had intended to do a yoga class in the pavilion, but it was just TOO HOT!

I left Reston Town Center heading for Lake Anne - using the Reston Parkway underpass.

The shady pathway was a welcome relief from the 90 degree heat.

More B&B's and a baseball field.

This pathway takes you through the famous Reston Hickory Cluster.

Heading into Lake Anne.

I had heard about these small tennis courts for young kids - but never seen one. So cool! Reston has a huge tennis culture. This kid was very happy that he was beating his mom - who was chasing a ball that she missed when this shot was taken.

The chalk art was amazing. Here are a few of my favorites.

It was so hot that most people were under umbrellas or in the fountain.

After checking out the art it was time to check out the Lake Anne Brew House. I had recently read that they got three medals at the Virginia Craft Beer Cup. On this hot day I needed to check out their award winning beer. Great beer!

I checked out their indoor and outdoor seating.

I left Lake Anne and headed back to Reston Town Center.

Not all Reston pathways are in the woods - some are traditional sidewalks.

Capital Bikeshare has made its way to Reston!

The Reston fountain and don't forget to check out the Saturday concerts in Reston. I think the best seats in the house are for dinner and music on Clyde's patio.

Today's walk was about 3.5 miles.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:33 AM

147 posts, read 349,790 times
I'm enjoying your photos. I've walked many of the same paths. Reston is a beautiful place!

Old 06-12-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Yes people fish in all the lakes. Here are the guidelines for fishing in Reston.

The only stocking that I know about is the trout that get put in Snakeden Branch between Soapstone and Lake Audubon every spring just before the organized kids fishing day. This year they put 500 trout in two different sizes.
There is going to be a Kids Fishing Derby in Lake Audubon on Saturday.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:30 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
There is going to be a Kids Fishing Derby in Lake Audubon on Saturday.
Was hoping it was a daddy son fishing experience but no adults can participate. Boo!

Old 06-12-2017, 01:05 PM

Default Walk #12

Today I parked on Soapstone just north of Lawyers Road (same place I parked for Walk #7). This time I headed east into the Glade Stream valley - heading toward Twin Branches Road (but didn't get that far).

Lots of people on the trail early this morning trying to get in their walk/run/stroll before the day heated up too much. I stopped and talked to this group that included a 95 year old with his new rollator that had just completed a one mile walk. I passed on a great bit of advice someone gave me this weekend. There is a Reston Paths app for iPhones. I tried it out today for the first time - it is great! The app uses the phone's gps to mark your current location on a map that includes all the paved and natural trails along with all the amenities (e.g., pools, tot lots, tennis courts, sports fields).

Glade stream in the beaver pond area.

Great birds today! I know you can't see it very well in this photo, but a nice Red Shoulder Hawk came flying in. He is just to the left of the medium sized tree on the right edge of the image. (Note about these photos, all are taken with an iPhone and none have been cropped or edited). It was fun to watch the hawk, it hung out in two different trees and I finally decided to move on with my walk.

Next up a Great Blue Heron!

It was fun to watch a pair of Cardinals playing in the stream.

I took a few of the neighborhood access spur trails - just so that I can say at the end of this project that I walked all the pathways of Reston. I walked a minute or so past where the paved path crosses Glade Stream (where the above photo was taken) and decided that going all the way to Twin Branches and back to Soapstone was going to be too far for today. I turn back and took the natural path back to Soapstone.

No problems with wet trails today - but I would not recommend this trail when it has been raining recently.

There is a short break in the natural trail for a nice tot lot and basketball court.

Today's walk was 2.75 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia