Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 11:43 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times

Advertisements

I used today's walk to vote at South Lakes High School and walk the part of the pathway around Lake Audubon that I didn't get to on Walk #9. A beautiful, but hot day for a walk.

Through the South Lakes Drive underpass and past the football field on the way to the high school.

Fabulous idea to help handicap people!

After voting checked out the kids having lunch and some nice artwork on the walls.

Found another Free Little Library in the Wisperwood townhouse community.

Through the Ridge Heights Road underpass, past the corner of Lake Thoreau, through the South Lakes Drive underpass and past the Sunset Hills Montessori School before getting to Lake Audubon.

Watched a pair of Green Herons in the trees between the pathway and the lake for about 5 minutes.

Saw a kayaker trolling for fish and a stand up paddle boarder by the dam.

Walked away from the lake and up to Owls Cove Lane. Owls Cove Lane is full of big kid tree houses.

Back to South Lakes Drive and the same ending as Walk #9.

Today's pretty flower. The walk today was 2.6 miles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 10:58 AM

Default Walk #14

Today I headed back to the Glade Stream valley to complete the part I didn't get to on Walk #12. I parked at Glade Drive and Twin Branches Road, and headed along Twin Branches Road towards Lawyers Road.

I turned on a neighborhood spur pathway and walked down Howland Drive. As soon as I got onto Howland Drive I spotted a male Bluebird checking on his nest. Howland is a nice tree lined street.

At the end of Howland Drive I headed back onto the paved pathway and stopped for a swing at the tot lot. Tot lots are not just for tots!

I headed up a spur trail that is the Reston access to Fairfax's Cross County Trail.

Reston's trails are smoke-free! Reston also provides doggie waste bags and garbage cans. The pathways are wide enough for maintenance vehicles that remove trash, clear leaves and snow, and repave when needed.

Continued on the Reston Pathway/Cross County Trail crossing Glade Stream and checking out lots of dragonflies.

I took a natural spur access trail that leads to Glade Drive.

Back on the paved pathway to the intersection of Glade and Twin Branches Road for a 2 mile walk today.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:34 PM

250 posts, read 181,836 times
Are there walkways such as these all over NOVA? And are some located walking distance from single family, affordable homes? Where I live, you have to drive to hiking trails. The few around my house you have to be careful, because of the hidden immigrant encampments (I live about 30 miles from the Mexican border).

Old 06-15-2017, 12:45 PM

Default Walk #15

Today I started in South Lakes Village Center, as I needed to pick up a few groceries at Safeway. I headed into the South Lakes Drive underpass to find some great kids artwork.

Past the senior condos and then between two townhouse developments before getting to Barton Hill Park.

A short distance along Sunrise Valley Drive, took me past the Barton Hill Tennis Courts (currently being refurbished) and to the W&O Trail.

I only walked a few minutes on the W&O Trail before heading back into the woods on a Reston Pathway and passing Sunrise Valley Elementary School.

Crossed Cross School Road and a few feet on Midsummer Drive brought me back to the wooded pathway.

More Reston townhouses backing to the woods.

A short walk along Twin Branches Road took me back to South Lakes Village Center.

Today's pretty flower found along the 1.7 mile walk.

Last edited by JfromReston; 06-15-2017 at 01:13 PM..

Old 06-15-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperdiva View Post
Are there walkways such as these all over NOVA? And are some located walking distance from single family, affordable homes? Where I live, you have to drive to hiking trails. The few around my house you have to be careful, because of the hidden immigrant encampments (I live about 30 miles from the Mexican border).
Many communities in NOVA have pathways like Reston. Reston probably has the biggest and best pathway system in NOVA. As you can see from my photos there are many types (and price ranges) of houses that back up to the paths. "Affordable" is in the eyes and wallet of the beholder. Let me know what you think affordable is and I will point you to what I think are the best options for you in Reston.

I like to drive to the hiking trails in and around Great Falls VA National Park and Difficult Run.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:21 PM

Let's say about 650k to 750k. I'm moving from SoCal so I have a lot of equity in my current home.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperdiva View Post
Let's say about 650k to 750k. I'm moving from SoCal so I have a lot of equity in my current home.
In that price range good properties move quickly and sometimes even before they hit the market. You need to have a real estate agent who is on top of the Reston market to get in on houses like these.

An example is this house that got a contract on it the day before it was going to go on the market.
11410 TANBARK DR, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX9967639 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

This one probably too!
10733 MIDSUMMER DR, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX9935630 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Here are a few homes that I would recommend you checking out.

Little above the price range - but very nicely updated.
11603 CLIPSTONE LN, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX9964501 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

I like this open floor plan and location is really great for commuting.
12011 WALNUT BRANCH RD, RESTON, VA 20194 | MLS FX9957973 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Way too much wallpaper - but good for someone who wants to re-do this house into their own decor.
2420 BRAMBLEBUSH CT, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX9959609 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Nice homes on the North side of Reston.
11211 LONGWOOD GROVE DR, RESTON, VA 20194 | MLS FX9977716 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
1281 AUBURN GROVE LN, RESTON, VA 20194 | MLS FX9867736 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

As the market moves here so fast, you often wonder what is wrong with houses that sits for more than a few weeks. This has been on the market for 25 days and getting into that questionable area. It is in a very nice location and the photos look nice - though a bit of a strange layout to the kitchen.
11519 CATALPA CT, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX9954051 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Old 06-15-2017, 08:35 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times
Love the really wooded shots the best.

J,
How quickly do the $350-450k townhomes move in comparison? (current renter here, no equity)

Old 06-16-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
Love the really wooded shots the best.

J,
How quickly do the $350-450k townhomes move in comparison? (current renter here, no equity)
I really don't follow the townhouses, but a quick search reveled the following. in 20191 (Reston south of Toll Road) there are currently 49 townhouses active or under contract between $350K and $450K.

Of the 24 under contract 15 went under contract in less than 2 weeks.

Of the 25 currently active 6 have been on the market less than 2 weeks.

Looks like you need to move quickly on townhouses in this price range.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:03 AM

How seasonal is the real estate market? Where I live, while it peaks during the summer, it doesn't really slow down other times of the year, because our weather doesn't change that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia