Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 11:57 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperdiva View Post
How seasonal is the real estate market? Where I live, while it peaks during the summer, it doesn't really slow down other times of the year, because our weather doesn't change that much.
The real estate market is VERY seasonal in NOVA. Basically it is opposite of football season. There are
27 active listing right now for detached homes in 20191. That number can easily go down to below a dozen in the fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 12:13 PM

Default Walk #16

I took advantage of the clouds today to check out the walk through Reston National Golf Course. I parked at the Fairfax County South Lakes Drive Park (a soccer and baseball field) and headed through the South Lakes Drive underpass towards the golf course.

I headed across the golf course on the Reston pathway - it was pretty well marked where you were not allowed to go.

Very nice golf course views from the townhouses.

Past the Newbridge swimming pool, tennis court and basketball court and back into the woods.

Through a townhouse cluster and back through the golf course.

I was very glad I had the Reston Pathways app with GPS today - it was sometimes a little confusing where to go.

This shot shows the construction of new townhouses across Sunrise Valley Drive.

The best of the three tot lots I saw today.

Through another townhouse development before getting to the golf course club house.

A short walk on Colts Neck Drive and back into the pathway at South Lakes Drive.

The 1.7 mile loop brought me back to the South Lakes Drive underpass to South Lakes Drive Park.

Today's pretty flowers!

Old 06-16-2017, 03:02 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Many communities in NOVA have pathways like Reston. Reston probably has the biggest and best pathway system in NOVA. As you can see from my photos there are many types (and price ranges) of houses that back up to the paths. "Affordable" is in the eyes and wallet of the beholder. Let me know what you think affordable is and I will point you to what I think are the best options for you in Reston.

I like to drive to the hiking trails in and around Great Falls VA National Park and Difficult Run.
I do think Reston has the most and best trail system for one concentrated area however Fairfax County Park Authority does have a lot of walking and biking trails throughout the county. I thought there was a comprehensive map but maybe several maps instead, Park Authority Trails Information*- Fairfax County, Virginia. Looks like they also now have an app for their trails too.

BTW, JfromReston, love your trail pictures and details. Something to look forward to each day here on CD!

Old 06-17-2017, 09:06 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,664,594 times
Great pics! Reminds me of why love this NOVA region.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:43 PM

Default Walk #16

Oops this is Walk #17 - the system wouldn't let me edit the walk number.

Today I parked at Twin Branches Road and Glade Drive (same starting point as Walk #14). I headed east of Twin Branches to access the natural pathway of the Twin Branches Nature Trail.

After a nice view of Lake Audubon and the Lake Audubon dam, I took a steep paved path to the base of the dam. Before this was paved a few years ago, there was lots of erosion in the short section.

It was amazing to be less than a five minute drive from my house and to be in the woods. I only saw four people on my walk today.

Lots of puddles for tadpoles.

Lots of bridges today as the multiple tributaries to Snakeden Branch merge.

Today's walk took me on the paved trails for a short while past Sunrise Valley Elementary School (same trails as Walk #15)

After just a few minutes of paved trails I headed back on to the natural trail. I was really glad that I had the iPhone Reston Pathway app with GPS locator today. It came in really handy as the natural trails are not marked.

Back up the hill past the dam to Twin Branches Road and Glade Drive to finish my 2.85 mile walk.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:18 PM

Default Walk #18

I'm beginning to think that Reston has more than 55 miles of trails. It seems that the map I'm highlighting all my routes on is not yet even half done.

Today I started at home and headed toward Terraset Elementary School and then over to the golf course before heading up to Sunrise Valley Drive to catch the Fairfax Connector bus to take me home.

Used the South Lakes Drive underpass to head through the woods to Terraset Elementary School.

Found yet another free little library near the nice gardens at Terraset. Also found several bluebird houses.

Back into the woods on the pathway brought me to the Soapstone underpass.

North along Soapstone Drive I encountered a deer and some nice townhouses.

Then a very patriotic townhouse cluster and back into the woods.

Out of the woods and a nice walk along the golf course.

These guys couldn't find their balls!

The wooded pathway ended and I walked along Soapstone Drive for a short distance to Sunrise Valley Drive

At the Upper Lake Tennis courts I caught the Fairfax Connector bus home. I walked 2.5 miles today.

Today's pretty flowers.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:32 PM

Default Walk #19

Today I headed to Lake Newport on the north side of Reston.

I parked at Brown's Chapel Park, checked out the chapel and then headed around the lake.

Passed by a picnic pavilion, an exercise trail, several baseball fields and a basketball court.

Then headed into a very nice neighborhood of detached homes.

Passed by a couple of neighborhood docks on the lake and some nice lake views.

Back into the woods!

Another neighborhood dock.

The Reston Association member boat launch.

Nice flowers around the Reston Association Lake House.

Across the Lake Newport dam where I got a nice show from a juvenile red shoulder hawk and then watched it jump around in a tree.

Back to the basketball court being used by a group of young boys.

A short walk back through the woods to Brown's Chapel finished this 1.7 mile walk.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:29 AM

40 posts, read 39,474 times
Lovely pictures, thank you!

Old 06-24-2017, 10:09 AM

Default Walk #20

Back to north Reston today. Started at Neil A. Armstrong Elementary School and did a figure eight loop south of the school.

Passed by the Autumnwood Recreation Area. The pool was crowded for the morning swim meet against Ridge Heights.

Next up was a nice sized wetland - wetlands are important to good ecosystems. I'm sure the residents of the townhouses backing to the wetland are able to watch lots of different kinds of birds.

The trail took me to Walnut Branch Road and Fairfax County Parkway and then along Walnut Branch Road for a short distance before going back into the woods for a nice 2.5 mile walk today.

Last edited by JfromReston; 06-24-2017 at 10:19 AM..

Old 06-25-2017, 03:39 PM

Default Walk #21

Today I started at North Point Village Center walking west along Lake Newport Drive. I passes several condo, townhouse and apartment communities.

At the pipeline easement I headed north.

I found yet another Little Free Library. What a great Girl Scout project. I picked up a book to read.

I passed two playgrounds today. One even had a COME ONE COME ALL invitation posted for THE ANNUAL FIREWORKS EXTRAVAGANZA! In addition to the one hour fireworks show, enticements included pop-sickles for little kids and beer for big kids.

After checking out the neighborhood spur trail to Quail Ridge Court, the main trail headed into the woods and then past some nice trail side houses.

The trail came out onto Reston Parkway where I walked back to North Point Village Center for a 1.8 mile walk.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia