Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 11:01 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times

Advertisements

For nearly 15 years I have been taking regular walks on Reston's paths. My walks have mostly been limited to my corner of Reston near the Walker Nature Center. I have always thought that the trails around the Walker Nature Center are the best of Reston, but I haven't checked out all the options to be sure. I have decided to take the month of June to walk a different part of Reston's paths each day and see if I can walk all 55 miles of paved and natural pathways.

Today's walk took me past the corner of Lake Audubon where I saw a small child in awe of a family of geese and a great blue heron catching some sun on the top of a pontoon boat. I then skirted the Walker Nature Center along Glade Drive where a dropped off a book at the Little Free Library and walked past the Nature House.

I went past the Glade tennis courts that were lined with oak leave hydrangeas just beginning to bloom.

I entered the upper Snakeden Branch stream valley, passing a playground (or tot lot as they are referred to in Reston) and crossing the stream on one of Reston's 95 bridges. I spotted and correctly identified a Carolina Wren (after several years of calling House Wrens - Carolina Wrens).

I stopped for a swing at another tot lot before heading home. Today's walk 2.8 miles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 05:20 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times
As someone vaguely considering a move to Reston, I'm excited to follow this. However, none of your photos loaded...

Old 06-01-2017, 05:24 PM

147 posts, read 349,790 times
I've always thought Reston was best seen from the paths. The trails around the lakes are amazing, and some of the houses are meant to be seen from the lakeside. You really can't see how beautiful they are from the road.

I had a map of Reston that included all of the trails, and I used to mark off all of the ones I'd walked along. I covered much of the north side of Reston, and the lake paths on the south side.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:38 PM

I don't know why my photos didn't load - they loaded when I tried it earlier - I'll try again.

For nearly 15 years I have been taking regular walks on Reston's paths. My walks have mostly been limited to my corner of Reston near the Walker Nature Center. I have always thought that the trails around the Walker Nature Center are the best of Reston, but I haven't checked out all the options to be sure. I have decided to take the month of June to walk a different part of Reston's paths each day and see if I can walk all 55 miles of paved and natural pathways.

Today's walk took me past the corner of Lake Audubon where I saw a small child in awe of a family of geese and a great blue heron catching some sun on the top of a pontoon boat. I then skirted the Walker Nature Center along Glade Drive where a dropped off a book at the Little Free Library and walked past the Nature House.

I went past the Glade tennis courts that were lined with oak leave hydrangeas just beginning to bloom.

I entered the upper Snakeden Branch stream valley, passing a playground (or tot lot as they are referred to in Reston) and crossing the stream on one of Reston's 95 bridges. I spotted and correctly identified a Carolina Wren (after several years of calling House Wrens - Carolina Wrens).

I stopped for a swing at another tot lot before heading home. Today's walk 2.8 miles.

Last edited by JfromReston; 06-01-2017 at 07:59 PM..

Old 06-02-2017, 05:09 AM

526 posts, read 900,485 times
I could see your pictures yesterday (very nice, by the way!) but not today.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorhead View Post
I could see your pictures yesterday (very nice, by the way!) but not today.
Seems it is a Photobucket problem, I just checked their status page. I've been doing some checking - the photos work in Internet Explorer but not in Chrome.

Last edited by JfromReston; 06-02-2017 at 08:13 AM..

Old 06-02-2017, 12:42 PM

526 posts, read 900,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Seems it is a Photobucket problem, I just checked their status page. I've been doing some checking - the photos work in Internet Explorer but not in Chrome.
Now I see them. I'm using Chrome.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:27 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
They are working in Safari on an iPad. Very nice!

Old 06-02-2017, 03:08 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Loaded for me -- same Safari on an iPad. They are lovely pictures. With all this rain, everything is so lush right now.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:45 PM

Today's walk took me near South Lakes High School and then west of Soapstone Drive towards Reston National Golf Course.

First I crossed under Soapstone Drive and walked along a small tributary to Snakeden Branch. This tributary had a stream restoration a few years ago.

Beautiful golf course views from the condos and townhouses.

I shared the pathway with a fox and checked out the golf course pond.

Checked out the sidewalk chalk work from some young artists. Maybe they are getting ready for the Lake Anne Chalk Festival coming up on June 10-11, 2017.
Lake Anne Chalk Festival – June 10-11, 2017

I headed home on South Lakes Drive. Today's walk 2.4 miles.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia