Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 11:32 AM

12 posts, read 15,097 times

Advertisements

My husband and I may be relocating to the NOVA area. My job would be in the Arlington / Crystal City area. We are looking for a driving commute of less than 30 minutes with a single family home, some yard, and parking (prefer garage). We do not have children but resale is a big factor for us. Are there areas that are "on the rise" with refurbishment? My husband is very handy and we don't mind a fixer - as long as we can get our money back in 3-5 years. We really like the Mount Vernon and Belle Haven areas of Alexandria and also looked in Annandale and Arlington. Are there are other communities we should consider? We are not from VA so not that familiar with the area, housing marketing or traffic patterns (but doing a lot of research). Potential budget under $800K. Really appreciate any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 01:45 PM

406 posts, read 625,649 times
Welcome to the area.

What does "resale is a big factor" mean?

Old 06-18-2017, 02:44 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohana Mom View Post
My husband and I may be relocating to the NOVA area. My job would be in the Arlington / Crystal City area. We are looking for a driving commute of less than 30 minutes with a single family home, some yard, and parking (prefer garage). We do not have children but resale is a big factor for us. Are there areas that are "on the rise" with refurbishment? My husband is very handy and we don't mind a fixer - as long as we can get our money back in 3-5 years. We really like the Mount Vernon and Belle Haven areas of Alexandria and also looked in Annandale and Arlington. Are there are other communities we should consider? We are not from VA so not that familiar with the area, housing marketing or traffic patterns (but doing a lot of research). Potential budget under $800K. Really appreciate any input.
I think you're on the right path there as that area (Fort Hunt Road corridor) in my opinion has always been nice yet due to it's lack of proximity to MetroRail, largely overlooked so it hasn't had the explosive real estate values as much as other areas...though will always be in demand for those looking for more house and property size no to mention for it's location and overall desirability. As far as commute time it should be pretty close to your desired maximum too.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:38 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,805,301 times
Although we know that sometimes an 8 mi. or so commute can be at LEAST 30 mins., maybe more.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Walker View Post
Welcome to the area.

What does "resale is a big factor" mean?
Thanks for the question. Although we don't have kids, and schools would not be a huge concern for us personally, being able to easily sell in 3-5 years is important to us. We would want to be in an area that is desirable and not one that limits our pool of potential buyers someday.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:14 AM

Thank you all for the responses so far. Any further insights on the housing market? We are noticing houses seem to be going under contract quickly - leading us to believe this is a fairly hot sellers' market (perhaps not a buyers' market). Should we expect bidding wars, full price offers etc? Are some areas " hotter" than others? Any other communities that fall within a 30-minute commute that we should consider?
Thanks again!

Old 06-19-2017, 07:08 AM

6,565 posts, read 8,402,207 times
Quote:
Thanks for the question. Although we don't have kids, and schools would not be a huge concern for us personally, being able to easily sell in 3-5 years is important to us. We would want to be in an area that is desirable and not one that limits our pool of potential buyers someday.
IMO, when you're talking about living in a home short term, the costs of buying and selling tend to take away from whatever equity you've managed to gain. If you're planning to live in a home for less than 5 years, my advice is to rent not buy. If you use a Realtor to sell an $800k house, it's going to cost you $48k in the agent's commission alone.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
IMO, when you're talking about living in a home short term, the costs of buying and selling tend to take away from whatever equity you've managed to gain. If you're planning to live in a home for less than 5 years, my advice is to rent not buy. If you use a Realtor to sell an $800k house, it's going to cost you $48k in the agent's commission alone.
Understood and thank you for the comment. That is why we don't mind a "fixer" or are focused on an area that is growing or emerging as a hot market. We look at a home purchase as an investment and would like to, at minimum, break even or even be ahead in 3-5 years time. We have bought and sold on our own in the past, so likely would not use a realtor when the time comes.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:13 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,729,836 times
Quote:
Understood and thank you for the comment. That is why we don't mind a "fixer" or are focused on an area that is growing or emerging as a hot market. We look at a home purchase as an investment and would like to, at minimum, break even or even be ahead in 3-5 years time. We have bought and sold on our own in the past, so likely would not use a realtor when the time comes.
Nothing in a 30 minute commute of Arlington/Crystal City would be considered something that is "growing or emerging" as it has always been a desirable area because that means it is also about as close as you can get to living in DC without crossing a bridge. Are there deals to be had and money to be made, sure but as you can see they go better quick. This is a highly populated area, with highish salaries and a high turnover of population, which equates to property moving very quickly (if it meets the right criteria - short commute, good schools etc.)

And as someone pointed out 30 mins could be 8 miles! I personally love the Mount Vernon/Belle Haven area, but you do need to keep in mind that if you are along the GW parkway, there is really only one way up to Crystal city, and that is taking the GW to N. Washington which runs through Old Town. That can be tough at times, there are alternate routes of course, jumping over to Rt 1, but then you are joining all the traffic that is trying to get on 495 and/or heading to the metro etc. If your job is in the north part of Arlington, you will with all those heading to Crystal City and the Pentagon. If that is the case, I would concentrate on living on the north side.

With your budget and no kids, I would look at a TH or condo inside the beltway.

Also you mentioned driving time for your commute. What about metro or other public transportation. Some parts of Arlington and Crystal city are very accessible to public transportation, which can then put you in areas that will allow you to reach your destination in a more reliable time frame than driving.

For instance from Franconia Metro to Crystal city metro is about 20-25 minutes. Of course driving and parking etc takes time, but is much less stressful than doing that same drive!

Old 06-19-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
Nothing in a 30 minute commute of Arlington/Crystal City would be considered something that is "growing or emerging" as it has always been a desirable area because that means it is also about as close as you can get to living in DC without crossing a bridge. Are there deals to be had and money to be made, sure but as you can see they go better quick. This is a highly populated area, with highish salaries and a high turnover of population, which equates to property moving very quickly (if it meets the right criteria - short commute, good schools etc.)

And as someone pointed out 30 mins could be 8 miles! I personally love the Mount Vernon/Belle Haven area, but you do need to keep in mind that if you are along the GW parkway, there is really only one way up to Crystal city, and that is taking the GW to N. Washington which runs through Old Town. That can be tough at times, there are alternate routes of course, jumping over to Rt 1, but then you are joining all the traffic that is trying to get on 495 and/or heading to the metro etc. If your job is in the north part of Arlington, you will with all those heading to Crystal City and the Pentagon. If that is the case, I would concentrate on living on the north side.

With your budget and no kids, I would look at a TH or condo inside the beltway.

Also you mentioned driving time for your commute. What about metro or other public transportation. Some parts of Arlington and Crystal city are very accessible to public transportation, which can then put you in areas that will allow you to reach your destination in a more reliable time frame than driving.

For instance from Franconia Metro to Crystal city metro is about 20-25 minutes. Of course driving and parking etc takes time, but is much less stressful than doing that same drive!
Thank you. A "desirable" area is what I meant. Not necessarily looking to make a "quick buck" - just don't want to be on the losing end if we need to sell in 3-5 years.

We have dogs, so a single family home with a small yard is a non-negotiable. I might consider the metro or train, but don't want my commute dependent on that. My schedule may require long hours and want to be able to drive also.

You mention we should consider "north" - which neighborhood/city would you recommend? I am not familiar with the areas so appreciate your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia