Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 05:19 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,891,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Yep. There's a lot of undercover bigots on here which is somewhat ironic considering how progressive and liberal NoVa is.

Anyway, best of luck, OP. I don't really know much about Section 8 (I didn't even know it was popular in this area until reading this post) but I hope it works out for you!
extremely popular in NOVA it seems. Each rental I put up gets probably 50% of the inquiries asking if we'll take housing vouchers. On one hand, the money is pretty much guaranteed, but unfortunately, a lot of the bad apples have tainted the idea of the program for landlords.

And yes, good luck to the OP and their friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 08:21 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,288,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
extremely popular in NOVA it seems. Each rental I put up gets probably 50% of the inquiries asking if we'll take housing vouchers. On one hand, the money is pretty much guaranteed, but unfortunately, a lot of the bad apples have tainted the idea of the program for landlords.

And yes, good luck to the OP and their friends.
This probably speaks to the utter lack of affordable housing options area-wide. When you have firefighters having to commute from West Virginia, what is a house cleaner or store clerk meant to do?

Old 07-14-2017, 03:27 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Bigfoot moved to Shenandoah County for its diversity.

I lived in NOVA from 73-2015. Kind of doubt I was fleeing diversity. Wanted the solitude the country offers and the views I have from my house sitting on a hill overlooking two mountain ranges and cattle everywhere.

But aren't you some kind of special.

Thanks NC211

Old 07-14-2017, 03:33 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
This pesky roach problem.........

Speaking of roaches......and I know what you're referring to. LOL. I went to a call in one apt complex back in the 90's where a domestic was taking place. This was one of the worst families abusing section 8 housing and the same lady who burned down her place smoking in bed. I had a prosecutor friend riding with me. We entered and immediately saw a little baby laying on a blanket on the floor. No big deal. But all of the sudden you noticed the movement around you. (at least in this dining room area) The walls all had roaches crawling on them, My friend walked out. After we settled things down (no arrests this time) I walked out and he was brushing at his clothes. He felt they were on him.

This is what management here was having to deal with and the inability to get rid of them. Now maybe the policies have changed since I retired but the abuses in the section 8 crowds were astounding at times. It really did make them all look bad although we knew they all were not the same.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:48 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
You think everyone who gets help from Section 8 is like that?
Do you think that even one person like that is acceptable?

Old 07-14-2017, 06:24 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Do you think that even one person like that is acceptable?
Of course not. I have lived in Section 8 housing (everyone who lived in those apartments had section 8). My current apartments are ADU (affordable). Every place I lived like those, most of the people were very good people. I like to think I am good too, but I leave that for others to decide. Why do a few bad people ruin it for the majority of good people who live in that situation.

As for roaches. The worst apartment we lived in was full of roaches. The landlord never did a thing about it. Those were NOT section 8 or otherwise subsidized apartments. None of the subsidized or section 8 properties we lived in had a roach problem.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:02 AM

1,386 posts, read 998,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
Reported for racist content. Again.
Mmmmm.....I don't think so. I'm not a big Hal Roach fan, but I think he was referring to "Gorillas in the Mist" comments LAPD would make on the radio.

Hal, you need to work on your delivery....

--

Old 07-14-2017, 09:21 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara790 View Post
Hello.

I am trying to get some help and hope someone can please help me here with a few questions about section 8 help.

Can you please explain what size unit a family with three adults would get ? They have 1 mom and 2 older kids ( disabled ) a boy and a girl that are 18 and 21 years old. Do they share bedrooms with one another ?

Do they look for a 2 bedroom or 3 bedroom in Virginia ?

. They are so upset and dont know what to do ..the HUD employee was laughing at the disabled person and it was heartbreaking....not sure if this person can be reported to allow the family a new rep to help them?

For now, they need to look and try to find answers since the worker seems to be against disabled persons.

ANY help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help !
The bedroom size depends on the local housing authority. Different HAs have different subsidy standards.

The voucher size the family was issued should be listed on the HUD Voucher in field 1 "Unit Size". They should have signed this form and been given a copy to take home with them.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:39 AM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
The bedroom size depends on the local housing authority. Different HAs have different subsidy standards.

The voucher size the family was issued should be listed on the HUD Voucher in field 1 "Unit Size". They should have signed this form and been given a copy to take home with them.
4 pages in, and FINALLY a relevant, informative response.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:13 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
Mmmmm.....I don't think so. I'm not a big Hal Roach fan,
--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia