Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 02:04 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,274,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I guess every village has to have it's idiot, but I suspect I'm not the first to tell you that....
My guess he used to go by the name eagle4life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 03:40 PM

15,160 posts, read 27,876,842 times
Interesting call - I hadn't thought of that. Silly me still wants to think people are "real" and not having endless time to waste playing games online. Interesting def. of roach: Noun. Someone who is unclean, usually unkempt and foul-smelling. Originated in Eastabuchie, MS at Victory Ranch Boys Home, around 1990.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:55 PM

NC211. Thanks for the info. Living out in the country now we've seen an uptick in bugs obviously. We are surrounded by farms, cattle and people with high cholesterol so it's no surprise. I believe I'll try your recommendation as I too have the 4gal backpack sprayer.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:36 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,905,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I read the label on that...says "keep out of reach of children under 12, and federal contractors," "can be used as mouthwash by NEA pigs."
I thought you worked for Jakartas ASEAN office?

Old 07-17-2017, 07:54 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,578,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
NC211. Thanks for the info. Living out in the country now we've seen an uptick in bugs obviously. We are surrounded by farms, cattle and people with high cholesterol so it's no surprise. I believe I'll try your recommendation as I too have the 4gal backpack sprayer.
No worries, happy to help! I've owned this house for 2 years now (bit of a fixer-upper), bought it off an old AOL exec for about $0.65 on the dollar. Upkeep got away from him after AOL spun down. Near the Potomac with lots of bugs and wildlife passing by to get a drink from the river. In the two years, I've only had to spray our foundation twice to keep all bugs out. Last March wasn't necessarily done out of need but more for the thought that there's no way it didn't need it again in general.

After hitting the neighbors, I decided to refill with 4 more gallons and walked the lawn with it too. Been pleasantly surprised by the results there too. We had a real problem with copper head snakes last year in the lawn at dusk. Haven't seen a single one so far this year. I know they're around, but don't seem to be the area they want to be around anymore, thank goodness! You can also use this stuff to save your landscaping from the Japanese Beatle invasion too, and I believe can help keep the deer from mowing down your flowers and shrubs. Really great stuff!

One word of advice though- on the lawn, make sure to use that fan tip on the sprayer only, and not the brass circular spray tip. I was using the brass tip for the foundation and forgot to switch to the fan tip for the grass. In the areas where I was swinging it left to right as I walked, I damaged the grass. In areas where I just held it out to my side while I walked fast, did great. If I had put the fan tip on and just walked normally with it to my side, it'd of all been perfect. Laziness bit me in the tail, lesson learned!

Hope it works as well for you as it has for us! Those Amazon reviews are accurate on this one!

Old 07-18-2017, 02:41 AM

Now I need to see if I have a fan tip for the sprayer.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:58 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,037,987 times
Things are not the same all over. We live in a mostly wooded area between two creeks. We've noticed a decline in mosquitoes over recent years.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:36 AM

15,160 posts, read 27,876,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Things are not the same all over. We live in a mostly wooded area between two creeks. We've noticed a decline in mosquitoes over recent years.
They came here

Old 07-18-2017, 08:57 AM

188 posts, read 161,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I think the overall increase is a combination of more and more hot days per year, along with the arrival of the tiger mosquito. This year we also had a very mild winter.

More like a Hot winter if you ask me! It was in the upper 80s at one point in Feburay IIRC...

Old 07-20-2017, 05:28 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,323,208 times
Yeah they're bad in my hood. We moved into a house last year that has a great yard but a lot of shade/brush and the skeeters are BAD. I got some stuff I was going to spray to see if it helped before calling in the pros but have just been lazy about it.

It does seem like they're worse than when I was a kid but that may have just been the yard I grew up in didn't have standing water/shade/moisture. Or maybe they aren't much worse, I really have a hard remembering how the were last summer much less 20-25 years ago.

The point Carlingtonian made about the tiger mosquitos is interesting. I don't know when exactly they arrived but that could be part of it. I just googled them and read they thrive in shady areas where they can hide in the foliage until a meal walks by. Good god that's like half my backyard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia