Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 02:32 PM

49 posts, read 99,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
There's no difference in school quality between Mclean and Vienna. They're both affluent areas. Mclean costs more because it's closer to the city.
While I agree that both cities are affluent and offer great schools, I do think that Mclean schools tend to do better (not all) at least shown in a few rating sites.

Although Vienna and Mclean is adjacent to each other divided by route 7, I do think that being inside of 495 beltway, flatter road and streets do make McLean more attractive than Vienna.

Check these out. Niche rated Mclean public schools as A+ where as A for Vienna.

https://www.niche.com/places-to-live/mclean-fairfax-va/
https://www.niche.com/places-to-live/vienna-fairfax-va/

They ranked Vienna (14th) higher than Mclean (24th) on Best place to live in VA though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 08:14 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,326,117 times
Don't you think if they both offer great schools then you're splitting hairs even using that as a determining factor in any decision? It's amazing how much people split hairs about schools around here. 90% of the schools in Fairfax County are good. I grew up in Chantilly and guess what, the kids there get just as good an education as my kids do in Vienna. Places like Vienna and Mclean have really high ratings because of intense parent involvement which results in high test scores. It doesn't mean the school provides a higher quality education.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:24 PM

49 posts, read 99,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
Don't you think if they both offer great schools then you're splitting hairs even using that as a determining factor in any decision? It's amazing how much people split hairs about schools around here. 90% of the schools in Fairfax County are good. I grew up in Chantilly and guess what, the kids there get just as good an education as my kids do in Vienna. Places like Vienna and Mclean have really high ratings because of intense parent involvement which results in high test scores. It doesn't mean the school provides a higher quality education.
Although I agree with you to some extent, with that argument, I can say that in every school, some kids will do well and some kids will do bad regardless of how great education is in that school.

Every elementary school will have different programs they offer, so not just crazy parents count here.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:37 AM

12 posts, read 15,333 times
Hi,

I know this seems like a stretch but maybe your husband (who has the commute) rents here for a month (or lives in long term stay motel) and looks for areas that works for you and your family.

In regards to the prepaid (not the investment plan) VA 529 plans I would look at its assets/liabilities. I have read some that say the plan is underfunded. I also believe you are paying a premium for not having to pay later. There is no guarantee that college costs will continue to rise. They may fall. I lean more towards the investment plans vs. the 529 investment plans. This is one article (a bit old) but basically highlights what I have read before The Prepaid 529 Plan Formerly Known as Safe - The New York Times

As always make sure you do not end up next to someone you you would rather not: http://www.fairfaxcountyarrests.com and Virginia State Police

Enjoy the adventure.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:55 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,326,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijyeo85 View Post
Although I agree with you to some extent, with that argument, I can say that in every school, some kids will do well and some kids will do bad regardless of how great education is in that school.

Every elementary school will have different programs they offer, so not just crazy parents count here.
But you're not comparing programs of Vienna and McLean. You're just making a blanket statement that McLean schools are "better" because the area is a little more expensive, which is what most people do when researching schools.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:45 PM

298 posts, read 566,896 times
I have lived all over the US, and have enjoyed every place I've lived, but I'm from the West coast and we regret moving here.

It could be because we are in Spotsylvania/Stafford area. Not sure.

I love DC, but I find the area I'm in to be a very vanilla place to live, full of HOA cookie cutter neighborhoods and high strung type A personalities. In addition, the high schools are mostly academic, with less arts and electives than we were used to in the west. We had glass making, yoga, welding, guitar making, boat making, etc offered in Washington...

Last edited by katfzl; 09-28-2017 at 07:55 PM..

Old 09-29-2017, 06:39 AM

540 posts, read 793,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katfzl View Post
I have lived all over the US, and have enjoyed every place I've lived, but I'm from the West coast and we regret moving here.

It could be because we are in Spotsylvania/Stafford area. Not sure.

I love DC, but I find the area I'm in to be a very vanilla place to live, full of HOA cookie cutter neighborhoods and high strung type A personalities. In addition, the high schools are mostly academic, with less arts and electives than we were used to in the west. We had glass making, yoga, welding, guitar making, boat making, etc offered in Washington...
Yeah, the exurbs are going to be exactly like you imagine them to be. That's going to be true throughout most of the country.

The electives comment is interesting. I took a look at the course catalog for our nearest HS. Nothing like boat making, but plenty of arts and music classes. Ceramics instead of glass making. No stand-alone yoga class but there are 4 different "personal fitness" classes, so that's probably where it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia