Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 10:32 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,474,392 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We're interested in modern art and wondered if anyone has had good experiences locating galleries, art spaces, etc., of great but relatively unknown local or other artists. We're not talking five figures per painting, just interesting stuff by creative and skillful people. I know about the places everyone knows, like the Torpedo Factory, but need recommendations for other options. Thanks in advance for suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 11:13 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,236,989 times
Local arts festivals. I, personally, like the one in Reston (late May), but Alexandria does a few and Bethesda has one or two.

Great opportunity to see lots of artists at once.

We actually plan vacations around art festivals in other cities.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:24 PM

795 posts, read 1,017,943 times
A old friend of my family has a studio in Fairfax City. His name is Joe Pisani, Art Gallery 101, Ltd. He is a very talented local artist. We have several of his works. No idea if his art will interest you.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:36 PM

Thanks, Spencgr and Lovnova.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:39 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,297,703 times
Secondary market is where it’s at. As an arts professional, the best thing you can do for yourself is save your money and buy at auction. Look for an artist who is “listed” ie proven on the secondary market and it shores up your investment as well.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
Secondary market is where it’s at. As an arts professional, the best thing you can do for yourself is save your money and buy at auction. Look for an artist who is “listed” ie proven on the secondary market and it shores up your investment as well.
Interesting. Is this a good option for initial buys of art you just want to have in your house and stare at? I don't look at my art purchases as investments (although I've certainly spent enough that it could be), I only look at it as buying what I want I truly want to look at.

Can you provide more information as to these auctions? Are you talking Christies and the likes?

Old 10-08-2017, 06:46 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,297,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Interesting. Is this a good option for initial buys of art you just want to have in your house and stare at? I don't look at my art purchases as investments (although I've certainly spent enough that it could be), I only look at it as buying what I want I truly want to look at.

Can you provide more information as to these auctions? Are you talking Christies and the likes?
Potomack Company Auctioneers
Weschler’s Auctioneers
Quinn’s in Falls Church

I would, personally, never buy art as an investment. I’m just saying that you can pay $9k for art you love on your walls or $1k for the same thing not purchased from a gallery. Gallery mark up is unreal. If you see an artist you absolutely love in a gallery, go for it, but don’t ever expect to recoup even half of what you pay.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
Potomack Company Auctioneers
Weschler’s Auctioneers
Quinn’s in Falls Church

I would, personally, never buy art as an investment. I’m just saying that you can pay $9k for art you love on your walls or $1k for the same thing not purchased from a gallery. Gallery mark up is unreal. If you see an artist you absolutely love in a gallery, go for it, but don’t ever expect to recoup even half of what you pay.
I absolutely agree about the gallery costs! That's why I recommended the arts festival route. Thanks for the links to the action houses.....

Old 10-08-2017, 07:03 PM

Thanks, Ffxdata.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:29 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,080,328 times
Many artists (local and not) working in many different media sell at area craft shows. The Sugarloaf tour is one of the oldest and largest. They'll be indoors at the Dulles Expo Center in Chantilly on Dec 8-10, and outdoors at the Gaithersburg and Timonium fair grounds before that. If you're looking for original work, getting it from the source can be a worthwhile and affordable way to proceed.

Fall Festival Schedule
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia