Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 05:45 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,555,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
Why? Doesn't make any sense. You do know that the first $500K of the mortgage is still deductible yes? What you will see is higher down payments since the gov't isn't subsidizing your purchase. Plenty of people put down 20% and keep the rest invested elsewhere since the effective rate after the current deduction is ~3%.

Even if you can't put more down and take out a whopping $700K loan the extra $8K you pay in interest @ 4% is "only" $2800 in tax savings for the 35% bracket. The $10K cap on property tax and loss of state income tax deduction is far more relevant for people at that income level.

The mortgage tax deduction is golden in the sense that it artificially props up home prices so I do agree that lowering it will lead to some drop in prices, but not catastrophically. Keep in mind that someone paying $3K in rent gets to deduct $0 of that and won't get to deduct their state taxes either.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/09/m...nequality.html
We understand this stuff as you’re pointing out. But that doesn’t mean the rest of the crowd does, and you know the slogan about tides and boats. What makes sense is when a $700k home has to lower into an area that attracts more buyers who want the tax advantage of a mortgage instead of renting, that lowers the price (and therefore market value) per square foot. That lowering of the tide, lowers the other boats in the marina too, regardless of size.

Home builders will push for even more townhomes instead of single family detached. Land values will come down as well to make the math work better. I totally agree that it isn’t a major thing here, but I also know that home ownership is a critical key to economic prosperity and health of the system. It is the most important investment for the overwhelming majority, and to start to tinker with the motivation to take on its responsibilities is a bad idea. Even if it’s not major for some, the optics is for all. Optics drives impressions, which leads to motivation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 07:05 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,317,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
All you have to do is be a con artist and the dumb people will believe ANYTHING.
Hal, who sure spends a lot of time talking about Thailand and Orange Virginia, seems to think NOVA can use a tax increase. Also he doesn't realize that the RE tax RATES in this area are far lower than other parts of Virginia. But he was foaming at the mouth, so let's hear him out.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:39 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,970,654 times
No one mentioned the savings on the elimination of the AMT. I see the XLRE up slightly at the moment. Obviously this is not a game changer. More certain is that taxes won't go down in Nova, just assessments. The teacher's unions really think you should be paying 2%. Maybe a nice war will keep the paper pushers busy in DMV. BTW, Sanitation Engineer, the three acres in BKK I wrote about closed: 140,000,000 USD.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:49 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,317,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
No one mentioned the savings on the elimination of the AMT. I see the XLRE up slightly at the moment. Obviously this is not a game changer. More certain is that taxes won't go down in Nova, just assessments. The teacher's unions really think you should be paying 2%. Maybe a nice war will keep the paper pushers busy in DMV. BTW, Sanitation Engineer, the three acres in BKK I wrote about closed: 140,000,000 USD.
Derp derp sanitation engineer derp. You are so funny. You clearly are my intellectual superior Hal Roach, what with your big business closings on YUUUUUUUGE properties. You are the go go 80s iconoclast that this world needs!

Old 11-03-2017, 11:07 AM

And do you want to hear about London? People stink, and white people are inbred and waddle, when they walk. Good to be back in Thailand, it's freezing cold, no, not really, but there is a new sugar tax..on my Coke Zero! It must be the domino effect.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:19 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,555,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
And do you want to hear about London? People stink,
That's called soap. Not surprised you didn't know.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:49 AM

A camel barn crossed with curry powder is soap? I am just glad my cotton and tobacco weren't tainted by the stink. It's going to be pricey to give that 787 an acid bath.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:25 PM

795 posts, read 1,008,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
All you have to do is be a con artist and the dumb people will believe ANYTHING.
And vote for them, The Clintons are living proof.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
"And you can keep your doctor."

Old 11-05-2017, 03:19 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
Clintons and Trump. Don't leave anyone out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia