Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2017, 08:24 AM

53 posts, read 74,349 times

Advertisements

The price tag is fairly astonishing.

That said, right now it is only being paid by drivers who were not supposed to even be on the road before. By 2022, when I-66 inside the beltway goes to HOV-3, that affects a whole new swath of drivers.

I generally don't care for private companies controlling the price of use of public utilities. I think in the end taxpayers end up footing a larger bill than if they simply decided to pay for it and manage it all themselves as a pure public utility.

Over time though, I do think this will really create a huge market for shared commutership. And if less people drive cars daily to work, that's a good thing for our roads and the environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 09:49 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,073,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Is that the reason for the change or just an observation ?
Probably just an observation. But why would the peak on Metro be any different from the peak on 66? One runs right down the middle of the other, after all.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:57 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,073,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Problem is that there are so few options for those commuting from far away (lots of folks).
If there are so many of you out that way, finding carpools or setting up commuter bus lots should be easy. The bottom line is that even with the widening of 66 west of Glebe Road, there is not enough room for as many west County and Montgomery County solo drivers to use 66 in peak hours as might want to. That's why soloists were previously prohibited. Now they are allowed to use the road if they are willing to pay a toll commensurate with their numbers. The new and expanded choices boil down to pay-to-play or find a different game. It's not like anyone was not told that this was coming.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:31 PM

6,657 posts, read 5,598,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssa78 View Post
The price tag is fairly astonishing.
I don't think anyone has adequately answered my question though - if 66 is congested to the point that it costs $44 to travel it, why would you want to take it and not take the side roads/alternate routes anyways? (may be faster at that point).

Old 12-10-2017, 05:26 PM

9,880 posts, read 14,142,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I don't think anyone has adequately answered my question though - if 66 is congested to the point that it costs $44 to travel it, why would you want to take it and not take the side roads/alternate routes anyways? (may be faster at that point).
The price rises exponentially in order to keep the traffic flowing. The road would not be congested enough to slow traffic.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:50 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,836,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Probably just an observation. But why would the peak on Metro be any different from the peak on 66? One runs right down the middle of the other, after all.
I don't see why the hours need to be the same. If few cars are out at those times, they shouldn't be charging them. There's no benefit to that other than making extra bucks off of them.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:17 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,672,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I don't see why the hours need to be the same. If few cars are out at those times, they shouldn't be charging them. There's no benefit to that other than making extra bucks off of them.
I don't travel I66 but at 5:30 is there really "few" cars out there? I can tell you that just about everywhere else, there's quite a bit of traffic at 5:30AM. Might not be gridlock but it's busy out there.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:48 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,460,807 times
2 Questions:

1. What have the average prices been for the tolls in the 5:30-6:30 AM range? I assume the super high prices we see aren't until much later in the morning - but how low is it at that time? Big difference between $1.50 and $6.50...

2. Everyone is saying that prior cheaters are now being forced off. Is this true? Is the HOV 2+ monitoring technology that effective that no one's taking chances by cheating anymore? Any data from the 495 HOT lanes to know how good the cheater-catching has been?

I just don't understand how we were so ineffective at catching cheaters one day and so great at it the next. Seems like both scenarios involve picking out single drivers from a large pool of supposed carpooling vehicles. This is assuming police are still eye-balling it. Have some sort of thermal cameras been introduced as part of this new change?

Old 12-11-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I don't travel I66 but at 5:30 is there really "few" cars out there? I can tell you that just about everywhere else, there's quite a bit of traffic at 5:30AM. Might not be gridlock but it's busy out there.
Whenever I have been on 66 before 6:30 (used to be often) traffic was very light.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
2 Questions:

1. What have the average prices been for the tolls in the 5:30-6:30 AM range? I assume the super high prices we see aren't until much later in the morning - but how low is it at that time? Big difference between $1.50 and $6.50...

2. Everyone is saying that prior cheaters are now being forced off. Is this true? Is the HOV 2+ monitoring technology that effective that no one's taking chances by cheating anymore? Any data from the 495 HOT lanes to know how good the cheater-catching has been?

I just don't understand how we were so ineffective at catching cheaters one day and so great at it the next. Seems like both scenarios involve picking out single drivers from a large pool of supposed carpooling vehicles. This is assuming police are still eye-balling it. Have some sort of thermal cameras been introduced as part of this new change?
1. I saw prices of $3.50 to 3.75 in the news.

2.& 3. The way to cheat now is with an EZ pass switched to HOV while driving solo. Otherwise you will get a bill in the mail. The police have a device to tell them who has the transponder set that way. They only have to look for those instead of looking at everyone. That helps. Don't forget that you could ride solo from the airport before now. Many solo drivers were not cheating. Today, that's not allowed. This makes the cops job easier. All they need to do is sit at the exits and nab solo drivers that way. Some percentage of cheaters will get through, but it will be significantly reduced from the past thanks to the changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia