Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2017, 08:45 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,070,760 times

Advertisements

Jurisdictions are driven to tolls because of irrational opposition to taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 07:50 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post

2.& 3. The way to cheat now is with an EZ pass switched to HOV while driving solo. Otherwise you will get a bill in the mail. The police have a device to tell them who has the transponder set that way. They only have to look for those instead of looking at everyone. That helps. Don't forget that you could ride solo from the airport before now. Many solo drivers were not cheating. Today, that's not allowed. This makes the cops job easier. All they need to do is sit at the exits and nab solo drivers that way. Some percentage of cheaters will get through, but it will be significantly reduced from the past thanks to the changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
Most solo drivers were cheating. VDOT estimated 40% of the traffic was solo violators. The cops used to sit at the exits inside the beltway (bc that meant you weren't going to Dulles). Solo drivers pay the toll now so sitting at the exits to nab them makes less sense (unless the overhead sensors are right there).

Anyone who had an EZ Pass prior now automatically gets charged the toll unless they hide it or get an HOV flex and try to cheat with it. If you don't have any EZ pass you automatically get mailed the toll and a fine based on your license plate.

When someone has an EZ pass set in flex mode it sets off a light on top of the sensors that go over the highway and so a cop sitting further down can see which cars are supposed to be HOV-2 and verify when they go by. Pretty basic really

https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-ap...DOT.png&w=1484

OK, so if I understand this correctly - even though it should have been "easy pickings" previously - the actual implementation by the cops wasn't optimal because they could only catch people at exits, so as not to cause any false positives (i.e., Dulles Airport travelers). Is that right?

But now, even though there's more work for the cops (they can't just spot solo drivers, but also have to correlate to who went through with an EZPass in HOV mode), it's easier on them since they can do it at the toll plaza, rather than the exits?

Is that the key difference?

Old 12-22-2017, 08:49 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
OK, so if I understand this correctly - even though it should have been "easy pickings" previously - the actual implementation by the cops wasn't optimal because they could only catch people at exits, so as not to cause any false positives (i.e., Dulles Airport travelers). Is that right?

But now, even though there's more work for the cops (they can't just spot solo drivers, but also have to correlate to who went through with an EZPass in HOV mode), it's easier on them since they can do it at the toll plaza, rather than the exits?

Is that the key difference?
That’s what I meant. It’s actually less work for them. There aren’t toll plazas though. There are, I guess they’re called, gantries that read the EZ Pass. They are over the road every once in a while. I think the cops may have a device that can tell them if it’s in HOV mode.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:25 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That’s what I meant. It’s actually less work for them. There aren’t toll plazas though. There are, I guess they’re called, gantries that read the EZ Pass. They are over the road every once in a while. I think the cops may have a device that can tell them if it’s in HOV mode.
I thought I had read awhile back that the EZ-Pass emits a signal of some sort when it's in HOV mode. The cops do have a device that picks up this signal. I think they can do it at any place on the road.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:38 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,424,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I thought I had read awhile back that the EZ-Pass emits a signal of some sort when it's in HOV mode. The cops do have a device that picks up this signal. I think they can do it at any place on the road.
It's not a outputted signal per se - the cop cars themselves have readers installed that can see what mode the device is in. That's what they use for the I-95 express lanes so I would assume I-66 is the same thing. The backside of the gantry also has a light that flashes so a cop car without the readers installed could sit at one and watch traffic.

To be fair I am not sure and have not seen any news articles as to what extent the police presence is on I-66 with these new lanes.

"Gary’s police cruiser was decked out with EZ pass readers in each backseat side window — one on the left, one on the right. The readers feed to her computer, mounted to the side of the driver’s seat. Gary says the readers can determine if it’s a regular EZ pass or EZ Flex. If you have an EZ Flex, the readers can tell if it’s in toll mode or HOV mode. Under HOV mode, for instance, officers can identify the car and determine if there are three or more passengers inside. That helps determine if drivers should be ticketed or not."

https://wtop.com/news/2014/12/va-sta...oll-violators/

Old 12-30-2017, 02:46 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adgj View Post
I read a lot of pages and found it odd that nobody mentioned the other free choices:motorcycle and bicycle.
If the powers that be wanted to make travel safer and more efficient they would give reckless driving tickets to the people causing all the traffic and accidents!
The people going tooooo sloooowww!

I have read here the cause of the ridiculous high tolls is again a direct result of people going tooo sloooow!
Once sensors show people driving too slow the cost for others goes up, up, up!!!

Stop being unsafe and nasty! Pay ATTENTION, LEARN, AND DEVELOP SOME DRIVING SKILLS!!!!

Also enforce passing only on the left.
I thought We have laws about the Passing Lane already?
Do you know what a passing lane means?

Speed limits are too slow for the highways and automobile technology!
Our highways were engineered for much higher speeds.
The technology and improved handling of our venison much greater!
The drivers that are rude by going too slow and blocking people are a Big part the problem.
The roads should have some sort of logical organization to them, and not be a unsafe free for all/anarchy like they are to often now.
Slow people in the far right lane NOT all over the roads like now. Or they should get off the road all together!
The left lane at one time was supposed to be the Passing lane like it is outside the rude/nasty liberal areas.
Which is more unsafe people blocking intentionally or not vs someone driving at a faster rate and paying full attention and having the skills and training to do so????
It seems any horrible driver with seemingly no skill or professional training, can get a license. And get on higher speed roadways.

Too many people think the time in their murder cage/4 wheeled vehicle is the time to sleep, eat, apply makeup, shave, master*ate with their Phones... anything but focus on DRIVING EFFICIENTLY AND SAFELY.

The only thing law enforcement seems to be told to do is:
SLOW traffic, cause more traffic, thereby causing unsafe situations and accidents and collect money from people by ticketing, etc.
Have a great day and be responsible!
Wow - and I thought I had a thing against slow drivers. I'm a zillion levels below you.

But to address the "passing lane"; no....Virginia does not have such a law.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:56 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Jurisdictions are driven to tolls because of irrational opposition to taxes.
More like irrational opposition to spending cuts - especially the county budget/employees.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:03 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,288,748 times
Quote:
Think of the people around you!
Speed up when going through a stop light so people behind you can get through also.
Do not speed up and slow down, or weave.
STAY IN YOUR LANE WHEN TURNING. Do not cross into the other persons lane when turning!
If we had reasonable law enforcement and drivers...we would have organization, safety and efficiency!!

Everyone would know what they should do and what everyone around them is doing!
We would all be more comfortable...not this mess we have now.

Stop rubber necking/focusing on what is on the side of the rode, even if it is a crash or something else you just want to slow down and see!
Focus AHEAD MORE on GOOD, EFFICIENT AND SAFE DRIVING WHEN YOU ARE IN YOUR (sometimes multi ton) MAIMING AND KILLING MACHINE.
Tell us how you really feel!

Old 12-30-2017, 09:10 PM

947 posts, read 1,401,179 times
Quote:
Speed up when going through a stop light so people behind you can get through also.
Do not speed up and slow down, or weave.
STAY IN YOUR LANE WHEN TURNING. Do not cross into the other persons lane when turning!
If we had reasonable law enforcement and drivers...we would have organization, safety and efficiency!!

Everyone would know what they should do and what everyone around them is doing!
We would all be more comfortable...not this mess we have now.

Stop rubber necking/focusing on what is on the side of the rode, even if it is a crash or something else you just want to slow down and see!
Focus AHEAD MORE on GOOD, EFFICIENT AND SAFE DRIVING WHEN YOU ARE IN YOUR (sometimes multi ton) MAIMING AND KILLING MACHINE.
Great advice all. In addition, I might suggest that you could personally play a role in increasing traffic flow and speed here in Virginia by making certain wherever possible you go at least 10 MPH above the speed limit and/or above 80 MPH when conditions permit. Some of us understand this is particularly advisable -- and even greatly appreciated by law enforcement -- on the stretch of I-95 near Emporia in southern Virginia.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:10 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times
Quote:
Oh, so you're the car always flying through the intersection right after the light turns red...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia