Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 06:54 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,498,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltforSin View Post
See the above.
LOL, I understand. I have heard this same complaint from friends in Colorado and Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 02:51 PM

11 posts, read 7,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Did everyone see that the rates hit $40 at around 8 this morning? I am starting to think that VDOT in their infinite wisdom might have put one of the sensors used in the toll rate algorithms near the massive bottleneck at the Roosevelt Bridge. Traffic jams up there daily due to the confluence of 66, Lee Highway and 50 and if a sensor is nearby it could be picking up the really slow speeds at that location. We will have to wait and see what the rates do this evening but I do not think the outbound prices went above $10 or 12 last night- there has to be a reason they skyrocket in the mornings. I will note that Route 50 throughout Arlington was an even bigger parking lot than normal during yesterday's PM commute.
Seems to me like the VA DOT's response to the traffic situation is to force cars off the road. Some people surely can pay but a certain number of people will find $40 toll road fees one way to be unacceptable and find alternatives. Either move closer or take backroads. Either way, their solution is to force cars off the road to deal with the traffic situation.

This will create congestion elsewhere.

There are plenty of people who cannot pay $40/one way, or $80/day. As a worse-case scenario, that works out to $1700/month.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adgj View Post
A question for a Engineer.
Is it a bad idea to force people off 66 which I assume: 1)is built to handle heavier vehicles such as 18 wheelers, etc? The neighborhood roads etc are not built anywhere near the high quality of a interstate in my experience. Am I wrong? Please explain why I am wrong.
2) 66 is Built to handle larger quantities of the vehicles.
3) Secondary roads, etc are built to be mainly fast and cheap for the builder?

Also isn’t there more pollution created by forcing people to not us 66 and take a longer route?
Tire wear?
When people go too slow and cause traffic along with being forced to take a longer route in distance and time...Does this cause more brake wear= more brake dust, using more oil and gas, more transmission wear...
Stopping and slowing for stop signs, stoplights, animals, people crossing the roads pets, etc. when going through neighborhoods and towns? Vs a roadway with no living beings on it, other than those in vehicles to cause traffic? No stop signs/lights... traffic should just keep flowing smoothly producing less pollution and wear on vehicles and roads?
Also by forcing people off of 66 and into the surrounding neighborhoods are you creating less safe family and environments? Would you want your kids out playing in traffic, because now most people are forced to driving by your front and back door?
What does this do to your property value, now, all that traffic could be moving along officially on 66 is now forced to drive by your doors?
Does most of the above = motorcycles= less traffic and pollution secondary to motorcycles weigh nothing compared to cars? And using the same logic means that bicycles are even better than 4 wheeled cages? Very low weight and pollution?
Just some thoughts.
Have a great day.
These are interesting points.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
The price rises exponentially in order to keep the traffic flowing. The road would not be congested enough to slow traffic.

Translation: High prices force people off the road.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:39 AM

15,438 posts, read 25,860,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datum9 View Post
Seems to me like the VA DOT's response to the traffic situation is to force cars off the road. Some people surely can pay but a certain number of people will find $40 toll road fees one way to be unacceptable and find alternatives. Either move closer or take backroads. Either way, their solution is to force cars off the road to deal with the traffic situation.

This will create congestion elsewhere.

There are plenty of people who cannot pay $40/one way, or $80/day. As a worse-case scenario, that works out to $1700/month.
I couldn't afford those tolls, but I have been on it twice. How? I had another person in the car with me. I saw lots of other cars too. Traffic moved okay. The other routes were congested before they added tolls, and seems to just as congested afterwards. Where is the newly created congestion?

Old 01-31-2018, 07:01 AM

20,187 posts, read 9,088,260 times
I wish they would charge $1 to drive on the beltway for future road improvements.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by datum9 View Post
Translation: High prices force people off the road.

And I wonder *where* it forces them off to. To the backroads that are already congested. E.g. Highway 50 is a nightmare already.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:27 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,270,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I couldn't afford those tolls, but I have been on it twice. How? I had another person in the car with me. I saw lots of other cars too. Traffic moved okay. The other routes were congested before they added tolls, and seems to just as congested afterwards. Where is the newly created congestion?
I believe this explains it well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I heard a lot of outrage over this. Single drivers couldn't use it before, now they can...with a large fee. Don't want to pay a large fee? Fine...commute the same way you were before. Nothing changes.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:47 AM

15,438 posts, read 25,860,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
I believe this explains it well:

It sure does, but somebody must have skipped that post, so I stepped in to remind them.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:52 AM

322 posts, read 276,493 times
I guess it's worth it to get those arrogant hybrid drivers and their cars that look like a shoe off 66
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia