Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2017, 10:32 AM

2,329 posts, read 2,190,120 times

Advertisements

Where to find out the toll rate for vehicle going on HOV lane (without 3 and more people)? Assume the vehicle has regular EZPASS.

I am just asking the question, and would like to know the toll rate during the peak hours. I know it is free if there are 3 and more people.

Anyone knows the toll rate link related to 395 peak hours?

Thanks.

High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Systems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 10:41 AM

After a little research, it seems there will be fine. I mistakenly thought vehicle (with less than 3 people) can always use 395 HOV lanes as long as there is EZPASS to pay the toll. Toll only applies during non-peak hours.

But I am not clear if it requires a speacial EZPASS for HOV lane when there are 3 and more people. I heard about some kind of "switch EZPASS" long time ago, something like that.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:47 AM

830 posts, read 1,021,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
After a little research, it seems there will be fine. I mistakenly thought vehicle (with less than 3 people) can always use 395 HOV lanes as long as there is EZPASS to pay the toll. Toll only applies during non-peak hours.

But I am not clear if it requires a speacial EZPASS for HOV lane when there are 3 and more people. I heard about some kind of "switch EZPASS" long time ago, something like that.
You're correct that you need 3+ people in the car during restricted hours (or be a motorcycle), but there isn't actually a toll on that stretch of I-395 HOV-3 lanes. Rather, it's policed and if you're caught, you could face a fine. The EZ-Pass lanes don't start until past Edsall Rd and the pricing is on-demand.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
You're correct that you need 3+ people in the car during restricted hours (or be a motorcycle), but there isn't actually a toll on that stretch of I-395 HOV-3 lanes. Rather, it's policed and if you're caught, you could face a fine. The EZ-Pass lanes don't start until past Edsall Rd and the pricing is on-demand.
Thanks.

https://www.ezpassva.com/EZPages/New-Flex.aspx

A few more questions:

1) What is EZPass Flex used for? If a vehicle does NOT have EZPass at all , but have 3 and more people, should the vehicle be allowed to use 395 HOV-3 lanes during restricted hours? Why we need EZPass in this case?

2) If I upgrade my regular EZPass to EZPass Flex, what if I just leave the switch to the right (HOV ON) all the time, and if I drive from DC to NY, can EZPass Flex (with HOV ON) be used as regular EZPass? What I mean is sometimes people forget to slide the switch to the left.

3) During non-restricted hours, what if a vehicle (only one person) get on 395 HOV lane with EZPass Flex with switch on the right (HOV ON), can it be used as regular EZPass? In this case, there is toll (not fine), I guess it is around $1 from Springfield to DC, maybe $1.5 ....

https://www.ezpassva.com/EZPages/New-Flex.aspx

Old 12-06-2017, 11:37 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,677,230 times
A few more questions:

1) What is EZPass Flex used for? EZPass FLEX is for drivers who drive 3 or more people. This device is both a regular EZPASS and an HOV Pass. There is a switch on it so if you have 3 or more people, you switch it on and it stops the toll sensors from charging your account.
If a vehicle does NOT have EZPass at all , but have 3 and more people, should the vehicle be allowed to use 395 HOV-3 lanes during restricted hours? Why we need EZPass in this case? First of all, I395 does not require an EZPass...yet...that all changes next year. You only need the pass to travel on I95 North and south and I495 (and now I66). 395 is still free. You *must* have HOV-3 during certain hours. On off hours, anyone can use the lanes at no cost. But...hypothetically, when those lanes do become toll lanes, you must have a pass to use the lanes without or without 3 people.

2) If I upgrade my regular EZPass to EZPass Flex, what if I just leave the switch to the right (HOV ON) all the time, and if I drive from DC to NY, can EZPass Flex (with HOV ON) be used as regular EZPass? What I mean is sometimes people forget to slide the switch to the left. If you forget to the slide the switch back (HOV OFF), then you risk being pulled over and ticketed/fined. Your EZPass emits a signal when it is set to HOV ON. State police have a device that can see the signal. They then do a visual check of you car and pull you over if you are violating.

3) During non-restricted hours, what if a vehicle (only one person) get on 395 HOV lane with EZPass Flex with switch on the right (HOV ON), can it be used as regular EZPass? In this case, there is toll (not fine), I guess it is around $1 from Springfield to DC, maybe $1.5 ....Switching it to HOV OFF allows you to use the pass with one person.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 796 times
[quote=ChristineVA;50325551]A few more questions:

If a vehicle does NOT have EZPass at all , but have 3 and more people, should the vehicle be allowed to use 395 HOV-3 lanes during restricted hours? Why we need EZPass in this case? First of all, I395 does not require an EZPass...yet...that all changes next year. You only need the pass to travel on I95 North and south and I495 (and now I66). 395 is still free. You *must* have HOV-3 during certain hours. On off hours, anyone can use the lanes at no cost. But...hypothetically, when those lanes do become toll lanes, you must have a pass to use the lanes without or without 3 people.

I-395 HOV Lanes do require a EZ Pass or an EZ Pass Flex for vehicles with 3 or more people for the 3 miles between I-495 and Duke Street. Also, the only area of State Police enforcement is the HOV entry point after Edsall Road and before Duke Street. Because of construction that started last month, there are no longer shoulders (jersey walls on both sides of the HOV lanes) on the I-395 HOV lanes between Duke Street and the Pentagon. It would be unsafe for State Police to attempt to pull violators over.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:38 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,677,230 times
[quote=SRCNeighbor;50341113]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
A few more questions:

I-395 HOV Lanes do require a EZ Pass or an EZ Pass Flex for vehicles with 3 or more people for the 3 miles between I-495 and Duke Street. Also, the only area of State Police enforcement is the HOV entry point after Edsall Road and before Duke Street. Because of construction that started last month, there are no longer shoulders (jersey walls on both sides of the HOV lanes) on the I-395 HOV lanes between Duke Street and the Pentagon. It would be unsafe for State Police to attempt to pull violators over.
Thanks, I forgot to mention that little strip of I395 that requires it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia