Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 07:02 PM

35 posts, read 44,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
There are exceptions to each rule, buddy, as your experience dictates. But in a super competitive dating market like this, even a below average woman has many interested suitors asking her out. Lower than below average, they have to become the hunter.
I get that this is a transient place, but I don't get why it's super competitive. A D.C. 10 is a 6/7 in NYC, LA, Miami, London, Toronto and many other places. This goes for men and women lacking in style and charisma. This whole come straight from work without changing this is foreign to me.

People here have a undeserved superiority complex. I was out on a first date once with a girl from Maryland and she is just bragging about how much money she makes now that she's become a manager at her firm, then she tells me the number. It's all very distasteful. I said "Oh wow (nodding my head), you're balling now, let me hold something. lol." To myself, I was like I make almost double that without a bonus, but i'm going to keep it classy and shut up. There other things, but that was the first and only date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
There used to be a ton of girls always asking guys if they wanted a "date." 13th and L....15th and K...Logan Circle. Always dress casual.
Big hair and high heels? But what about that guy that's always yelling for them to bring him his money? lol

Old 02-11-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Or perhaps these women don't live in the 1950's and believe that they have to wait for a man to make the first move.
Preach!

Old 02-11-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Hey I am not saying it does not happen but I do not see anything in the OP's experience to debunk this. This is definitely a YMMV situation.
My last girlfriend of almost 6 years asked me out.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:23 PM

Can anyone suggest some good happy hours to meet late twenties, Black, African, Afro-Latino, Caribbean women in NOVA?

Old 02-12-2018, 01:58 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,256,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDSBURNER View Post
It's a whole new world out there. I know some people that club all night, get breakfast, then go to church in the same clothes. I think it's disrespectful. That aside, I see where you're coming from as far as finding good women, but I wouldn't be going into a house of worship with that mindset. I appreciate it though.
I agree that a church should not be used as a social club to just meet members of the opposite sex but my point was you might people there and find you'll have things in common and so on which may lead to something further over time. But like I said before. I've basically been out of the dating game since 77 so what do I know.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:58 AM

6,567 posts, read 8,411,165 times
Quote:
But are these "meetups" geared more towards general networking?
I've not used it myself but just looking at the Meetups near DC page there are groups called "NoVA singles" and then another called "DC Professionals". So I think it's a mix of networking and social groups.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:17 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,652,683 times
Quote:
I get that this is a transient place, but I don't get why it's super competitive. A D.C. 10 is a 6/7 in NYC, LA, Miami, London, Toronto and many other places. This goes for men and women lacking in style and charisma. This whole come straight from work without changing this is foreign to me.

People here have a undeserved superiority complex. I was out on a first date once with a girl from Maryland and she is just bragging about how much money she makes now that she's become a manager at her firm, then she tells me the number. It's all very distasteful. I said "Oh wow (nodding my head), you're balling now, let me hold something. lol." To myself, I was like I make almost double that without a bonus, but i'm going to keep it classy and shut up. There other things, but that was the first and only date.
Haha you'll run into a lot of that in this area from both women you date and friends you meet. It's all about stupid titles that don't mean anything and the ability to bring in money for some reason. Trust me, I have friends like that who used to never talk about money, who constantly brag about making $120 a year or so (which isn't even a lot for this area), which is annoying because you can make 2 bucks an hour or a million a year and I wouldn't care. That or you'll meet a lot of people who think they're big shots for working on the Hill lol. Money and titles are big in this area, just something to get used to.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:30 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,779,199 times
Quote:
Can anyone suggest some good happy hours to meet late twenties, Black, African, Afro-Latino, Caribbean women in NOVA?
Hit up any Reggae event or house party. Them spots are a gold mine for Caribbean and Afro-Latino women in particular.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Hit up any Reggae event or house party. Them spots are a gold mine for Caribbean and Afro-Latino women in particular.
Can you name any specifically? Like I said, i'm new to the area and don't know many people or venues yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia