Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 08:26 PM

35 posts, read 44,470 times

Advertisements

I am newly single, black, and 28. I am college educated with two degrees (not wealthy, but I do well financially). I live alone in large apartment in an affluent neighborhood. I recently moved to the area and want to erase that single status.

I have gotten six ladies' (ages 27 through 40 and all black) phone numbers over the few months since I've been here. Never been shot down, I generally just let women ask me out. Details below:

1 27 YO - Good chemistry on first date, but I don't think she has her stuff together. Still living with her mother and uses her mother's car to get around. She could also class it up a bit. I don't think will go anywhere.
2 34 YO - We clicked immediately and went out on several dates. Her craziness and possessiveness came out quick and strong. I cut her off because it was too weird.
3 40 YO - She asked for my number, but will only text. Text messages consist of her newfound chastity (which is ok with me because there's probably a long backstory there), how handsome/young I am, and boring small talk. Can't get a date with her after texting on and off for a month. Cutting communication today.
4 32 YO - Apparently works for some congressperson. I called and left a message to set up our first date and never got an answer. Tried a follow-up a week later, still no answer.
5 29 YO - Works for Louis Vuitton. I got her number while picking up a suit. We scheduled a date and 10 AM the morning of the date, she cancelled saying she was sick and wasn't going into work and wanted a rain check. I followed-up a week later, no response.
6 Unknown age - Assuming 30. Got her number at the gym and we set up a date. She cancelled at 5:30 PM on a Saturday, two hours before our date saying she was tired. I let that slide even though that's B.S because we confirmed the date at 3:00 PM. I gave it two weeks and asked whether she still wanted to go out. No response.

My best friend here is white and he's been with the same girl for years. He doesn't really know what the dating scene is like, but he did tell me 4-6 above is called ghosting. News to me, I've never been shot down, stood-up, or "ghosted" until I moved here. It's rather aggravating. Why give or offer your number if you don't plan on going out? Just a waste of time and effort. It would be easier to just say no if you weren't actually interested.

Where can I meet sensible, independent, intelligent women? Most people here are college-educated, so I mean "actually intelligent." I don't discriminate, but my primary experience is with black, hispanic, and african women along with some biracial women across all shades. I don't smoke or drink, but if you're responsible do you. I also don't use online dating or dance (not a fan of clubs).

Someone point me in the right direction. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 04:13 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,253,619 times
As opposed to bad women?

Sorry but you asked for that.

Based on the description of your experiences here you are somehow doing something wrong. Now I've been with my wife since 77 and married in 83 so my ability to be of much help is very limited. You did not mention church. Do you attend? Do you attend one with a large congregation? One would think your chances of meeting someone there might be good. But again, I may not be the best one to give advice in this. Ask me a Reckless Driving question and I might just be able to provide some decent advice.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:49 AM

6,566 posts, read 8,406,932 times
I hear that Meetup groups are a good way to meet people.

https://www.meetup.com/cities/us/dc/...fL8CpbZaBwwA4A

Old 01-16-2018, 08:11 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,493,421 times
I think limiting yourself to women that ask you out limits your pool to women that would ask you out. This may or may not be a small pool but maybe there is generally something different with women that ask you out as opposed to women that do not?

Example, if a woman is asking you out is it because she is not being asked out enough? If so what is the reason
(you/we will not know). There should be a fair amount of interest in women in this area so you may have to actually ask some out, set the pace by choosing a place to go for the first date and presenting what you are looking for and what you have to offer to them?

Old 01-16-2018, 08:17 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,672,567 times
I know you are opposed to online dating, but I think you should give it a try living in this area. My daughter (26) was VERY opposed to it. She still doesn't like it but she did find one or two good ones through some of the apps. At a minimum, you at least know that the ladies you meet on the online apps are interested in dating and have geared themselves up for something with a stranger.

I believe that for some people, even though they approach you, they just aren't ready for a one-on-one situation (date) with a stranger and they back out after some thought.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:04 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,291,109 times
Why don’t you use online dating?

Why don’t you like clubs?

You’re dating like it’s 1983 and wondering why it isn’t working.

Also, women give numbers for all sorts of reasons. Generally, it’s so they get a guy off their back or to save the guy the embarrassment of a face to face rejection. Dating is hard work. It’s exhausting. Be a bit understanding.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:32 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,976,723 times
If I were a black man, I would do some research and find a real African woman, and even go to Africa to find one. You would likely find that they are more educated, more traditional, and aren't deeply in debt, like a lot of the AA women. It's a minefield out there, but it is in NoVa, too. It always seems like it is very difficult to go on a date in NoVa...as your experiences suggest; many can't plan two hours ahead. The ghost thing rang home, too. When I offer to buy a lady a nice meal or go to a concert/movie...a simple yes or no is all I ask. 12 calls for a simple meeting? I don't think so. Carb Queens? No thanks. Bad credit? Nope. Kids? Yes, if they are grown, but not at your age.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:08 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,771,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I think limiting yourself to women that ask you out limits your pool to women that would ask you out. This may or may not be a small pool but maybe there is generally something different with women that ask you out as opposed to women that do not?

Example, if a woman is asking you out is it because she is not being asked out enough? If so what is the reason
(you/we will not know). There should be a fair amount of interest in women in this area so you may have to actually ask some out, set the pace by choosing a place to go for the first date and presenting what you are looking for and what you have to offer to them?
Unpopular opinion alert. Just as a guy who has dated here in the DMV, if a woman here in the DMV is forced to ask a man out, it is for a reason. I've sworn off accepting the advances of women who ask me out because I find out soon enough what that reason is.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:13 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,493,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Unpopular opinion alert. Just as a guy who has dated here in the DMV, if a woman here in the DMV is forced to ask a man out, it is for a reason. I've sworn off accepting the advances of women who ask me out because I find out soon enough what that reason is.
Well I personally would not put it this way but I would not argue with it either.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:32 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,651,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I've had women ask me out who were good women. So...idk. That might just be a you thing, buddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia