Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 04:55 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,505,939 times

Advertisements

I live in a neighborhood of 1970's era homes - we have no HOA but almost everyone keeps up their homes and they look great!

I notice most people in VA have HOAs and I was wondering why. Where I come from in NJ - there are never any HOAs and everyone is fine with it.

Is this just a Virginia thing or do other parts of the country have HOA's also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 05:09 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,330,006 times
It brings the community closer together. You get to know your neighbors better. You get more participation

Old 03-21-2008, 05:14 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,106,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
We've only owned homes in VA and WA and in both we had a HOA. You are fortunate to live in a neighborhood where people take care of their home without a HOA. Sometimes it's scary to see how people let go of their homes--the whole neighborhood suffers with eye sores or the undermining of the homes value when people don't care.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:20 PM

449 posts, read 1,394,241 times
There are pros and cons to HOAs. As potentially restrictive as they can be at times they help minimize people moving in who may not care about their neighborhood. It is a shame that rules exist that basically tell people they can't park vehicles on lawns, and lawns must be cut, trash can't be laying around, oodles of toys can't be left outside either, cars can't be kept up on blocks for weeks at a time, tractor-trailers can't be parked outside, houses must be painted, windows can't be broken, etc. But, if you don't have these rules, there are a lot of people who will live exactly that way and not think twice about it. Sterling Park is that way thanks in no small part to a lack of HOAs. HOAs seem really common here in Virginia as many communities are not incorporated, leaving laws up to a county as opposed to a city. Not sure if that makes any difference...

Old 03-21-2008, 05:37 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,407,050 times
No HOA's for us. In theory they have a good purpose, but things get messy FAST.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingnoelle View Post
No HOA's for us. In theory they have a good purpose, but things get messy FAST.
I disagree. It takes the right person, responsibility and know-how to be a HOA Board Member. If things get messy, it's because there was a lack of experience of the BOD and mix of people who do not care.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:05 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,407,050 times
That's fine that you disagree. I counted on it from someone here.

With what part do you disagree: 1) no HOA's for my family; 2) they are good in theory; or 3) things get messy?

Not all HOA's get messy. Just enough. They can get awfully oppressive over picky things like mailboxes, and the neighborhoods just look blah--no variety whatsoever.

Independent personalities need to check out prospective HOA's before buying.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:33 PM

18 posts, read 44,420 times
Yes, HOA's are a good thing....If you like that kind of thing. It makes sense to keep your property clean, plant some flowers..in general, take care of it-set an example. Nobody said you need to be a millionaire. We were all born with a certain amount of elbow grease. But I do have a problem with people who tell me what I can and cannot plant in my yard.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Ilion, NY View Post
But I do have a problem with people who tell me what I can and cannot plant in my yard.
what if your neighbor was putting putting up a purple fence, and you had your house for sale? Now what do you do?

Old 03-21-2008, 06:44 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I live in a neighborhood of 1970's era homes - we have no HOA but almost everyone keeps up their homes and they look great!

I notice most people in VA have HOAs and I was wondering why. Where I come from in NJ - there are never any HOAs and everyone is fine with it.

I had one when we lived in Hampton and i have one now (condo complex.) Frankly, a no HOA neighborhood would be the first place i look to buy a house. HOAs are no better to me than telemarketers and parking enforcement officers, built to harass decent people and make their life a nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia