Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 09:59 AM

162 posts, read 541,103 times

Advertisements

I've been posting here and on the Maryland threads about where we intend to live this summer. It looks like anywhere we choose is going to be horrible in one way, shape or form. The decision is so difficult, I've made a spreadsheet and ranked all of factors. It looks like the best places are Woodbridge and Manassas. I will be working in Chantilly and my wife in Andrews AFB. They may not be the worst commutes but they are bad enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 10:05 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,294,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moman1 View Post
I've been posting here and on the Maryland threads about where we intend to live this summer. It looks like anywhere we choose is going to be horrible in one way, shape or form. The decision is so difficult, I've made a spreadsheet and ranked all of factors. It looks like the best places are Woodbridge and Manassas. I will be working in Chantilly and my wife in Andrews AFB. They may not be the worst commutes but they are bad enough.
come to my neighborhood in PWC, HOA fees are 56/month

Old 03-23-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
come to my neighborhood in PWC, HOA fees are 56/month
That's ridiculous. They better cut my grass and rake the leaves for that price. You have to figure that $56 a month times what, 100 homes? That's pretty good income for someone. I'm sure the person in charge doesn't do $5,600 a month worth of work. If so, they are paying the wrong person. I'd do it for half that!

Old 03-23-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
That's ridiculous. They better cut my grass and rake the leaves for that price. You have to figure that $56 a month times what, 100 homes? That's pretty good income for someone. I'm sure the person in charge doesn't do $5,600 a month worth of work. If so, they are paying the wrong person. I'd do it for half that!

so you're willing to work for $2,800/month?

Old 03-24-2008, 12:50 AM

26 posts, read 141,579 times
Quote:
College Park MD
I would be living in Maryland by now. Virginia isn't that great, anyway.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:25 AM

141 posts, read 753,519 times
Quote:
Regarding the commutte issues, your drive will be approx an hour but I have heard that there are back roads from Woodbridge to Chantilly that would cut your traffic time. Maybe use google maps and select "avoid highways". Your wife can take a commuter bus right at the Horner Road lot and it will bring her directly to Andrews Air Force base. here is the website: PRTC - The Ride That's Right For You Good luck with it all!

Old 03-24-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie4now View Post
I would be living in Maryland by now. Virginia isn't that great, anyway.

oh gosh. What's better in maryland?

Old 03-24-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
so you're willing to work for $2,800/month?
To do that job? Absolutely. I've worked with an HOA before. It was for a neighborhood of about 80 homes. If you do it right, it takes up about 20 hours of work a week (usually less). $2,800 a month for part time work is pretty good. Now double that money and that is what someone might be getting for part time work.

I'm not saying they are all that way because every HOA is different. That money could be going towards playgrounds, pavillions, parks, pools, lampposts, etc. But in my experience, they charged what they thought would pay someone to enforce the covenants.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:50 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,654,079 times
Quote:
30 mins to VRE station
1 hour riding on VRE ($200/month)
1 hour riding on Metro ($90/ month)
15 minute walk from metro to the building
-------------

2h 45m each way. 6,000 steps per day on my pedometer
I've got you beat. My commute is as follows:

I haven't broken it down like you the same way because the bottom line is that it takes me PRECISELY 3 hrs to get into extreme NW DC every day via VRE and Metro each way.

I live in Spotsylvania around the Courthouse Road area (Massaponax Church Road).

I hear "I couldn't do it" from plenty of folks. These were the same people who swore up and down that they wouldn't come to work if gas was to hit $4.00 per gallon. Are we there yet? No, but it won't be long. Will these people still be at work when gas crosses $4.00 per gallon. Sure, they will be.

If I can't do it, I am sure there are 25 people behind me that would be happy to take my job from me and the commute right along with it.

Everyone talks about the overflow of IT jobs in the area, but I have never had such luck. I have learned that when someone offers me a job, I tend to stick with it. I have learned not to take time off of work to go interview elsewhere when that next job is far from guaranteed.

Move closer, well not so sure I want to just take a big hit when I just bought the house like 9 months ago.

It costs me $324 dollars a month on the VRE and about $60 to get my beater to the commuter station.

My pedometer says 1.6 miles walked per day. No wonder I have lost 25 pounds in my 6 months of working here

By the way VRE332, why don't you get yourself a "TLC pass" for your combined Metro VRE trip? You pay by the month for access to both VRE and metro.

Just a thought since you were able to break down your Metro and VRE expenses seperately.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post

By the way VRE332, why don't you get yourself a "TLC pass" for your combined Metro VRE trip? You pay by the month for access to both VRE and metro.
Good point. I dont get the pass because my company pays 100% of the mass transit commute, plus it's inconvienent using the paper pass
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia