Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 11:26 PM

4 posts, read 3,838 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Please bear with me on yet another moving to VA question. I'm thanking everyone in advance.

Some answers that have been needed with previous requests.
When are you moving? - End of July
Where are you coming from? - Alabama
Why are you moving? - New job opportunity
Where will you be working? - Him: INOVA Fairfax, Her: Ft. Belvoir
Have you been here yet? - Yes, for vacation

Will you buy or rent? - Most likely rent at first. But if good opportunity....
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? SFH
How much can you spend? around 850,000
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? Townhome, SFH

Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?- don't mind

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married with 2 boys ages 8, 6
Do you prefer public or private schools? - Public
Do you have pets? - no
Do you want or need a yard? - yard preferred
Are you keeping a car? - Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? - calm (for raising kids) but like to be close to bustling activity

What do you want to be closest to? Reasonable distance for both our commutes
Are you willing to commute: both commute about 30 min for current jobs

Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, gyms etc.)

Dream school pyramid(of course)
Would be willing to expand house budget, but PLEASE offer up other options for great school pyramids.
Haycock Elementary School
Longfellow Middle School
McLean High School

Do you have any other opinion/feedback for other good schools/areas please?

Once again, Thank you so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 05:25 AM

219 posts, read 594,960 times
Looks like Springfield, VA would be a nice midpoint between Inova Fairfax and Fort Belvoir, and with your budget, you should be able to find a really nice SFH home there.

I can't really speak on the public schools there, but Springfield is still fairly close to DC and has a metro station that takes you downtown, if needed.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:49 AM

540 posts, read 790,619 times
We often get suggestions here for the West Springfield/Burke area, which would be ideal for commuting, but some of that has to do with lower housing costs. At $850k, however, your choices are expanded. You can't get a new house for that amount (everything is $1M+ now), but you can get a really nicely remodeled place in some really good areas.

One point of reference - I live in 22046 in the Marshall school pyramid. My wife occasionally has to go down to Quantico and finds the commute to be just fine. Belvoir is even closer (right now Google says 22 minutes to the visitor's gate from my house). The benefit of traveling south is that the rush hour traffic on 495 is headed to Tysons, so the opposite way isn't bad. So, I guess what I'm saying is that you don't have to try to split the difference. I am going to be biased, but I say live close-ish to the hospital, staying within a quick drive of 495.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:30 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,891,980 times
West Springfield/Burke in my opinion , quick MLS search brings back a decent amount of rental options (dozen or so 4+ bedroom detached rentals under $3,500).

Old 03-13-2018, 10:05 AM

406 posts, read 625,094 times
How long are you planning on living in the area?

How long would you rent before you purchase?

How many bedrooms and bathrooms would you like?

Are you looking for homes with garages? If so, how many?

Old 03-13-2018, 10:23 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,726,088 times
Depending on your answers to Abraham's question regarding how long you will be here, I would recommend either Springfield/Burke or Kingstowne (22315) area. With little ones in school and after school activities, I recommend at least one parent being very close. Trust me rushing home, getting the kids ready and off to after school activities can take lots of time! The closer the better. Burke and west Springfield has better high schools, but I found Kingstowne prettier to live in. Yes it is a little more affordable than some other options, but there are SFHs in Kingstowne was in the $700- 900+K range, with all the amenities that Kingstowne offers.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:54 PM

How long are you planning on living in the area? Indefinitely but at least two years

How long would you rent before you purchase? 6 mos, prefer to purchase as soon as possible

How many bedrooms and bathrooms would you like? best case 4 beds 2+baths.

Are you looking for homes with garages? If so, how many? three car garage

Thank you so much for all of your responses.

What are the negatives to living in Springfield or Burke area?

Old 03-28-2018, 06:31 PM

406 posts, read 625,094 times
Smile Thanks for responding.

The for coming back to the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofthemeal View Post
How long are you planning on living in the area? Indefinitely but at least two years

In addition to looking for the best commute, I'd also recommend looking for the best high school pyramid you can afford planning to living in the same house for until your 6-year-old graduates from high school. This strategy will ensure that you're able to wait out any market corrections in the coming years.

Quote:
How long would you rent before you purchase? 6 mos, prefer to purchase as soon as possible

There are a few corporate condos in the area that offer short-term rentals of fully furnished units. This will be ideal for your situation.

Quote:

4/2+ is a common layout for the Springfield/Burke area in your price range. If you find a property on a pipe stem, be sure to assess the neighbors as well as the property in question. While pipe stems offer the privacy of a cul-de-sac, having to work with your neighbors on repairs and snow removal should be considered before making a decision.

Quote:

Here's a quick search in the MLS for 3 car garage homes under $1 million.

The search only produced 40+ properties in Fairfax County, Arlington, Alexandria City, City of Fairfax, and the City of Falls Church.

The same search for 2 car garage homes under $1 million produced 400+ properties. Will 2 car garage meet your needs?

Quote:

Your welcome.

Quote:

Negatives: Distance to main attractions.
Positives: Distance to main attractions.

Springfield and Burke provide residents of the NOVA area single family home options with access to the Fairfax County School system with a reasonable commute to the major employment bases in the area.

It's not ideal for people who go to DC for leisure activities and several make due with the amenities available to them in those cities.

What is causing you to lean towards Springfield and Burke versus Kingstowne, Annandale or Lorton?
Attached Thumbnails
Help requested! Moving to VA; she is working at Ft Belvoir, he is in Fairfax-mar282018-awasus-8.18.15-pm.jpg  

Old 03-29-2018, 08:01 AM

Wow, Abraham, thanks so much. We are very very open to any areas that would be good for schools, and raising kids.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:07 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,387 times
Quote:

Garages are not common among older builds. Some have a one car. Few have a 2 car, and I don’t know of any with a 3 car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia