Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2006, 09:35 AM

4 posts, read 24,318 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Virginia around March (to work in DC) and looking for a city in northern Virginia that is safe, has great shopping, a great commute, and pet friendly. Buying a house or condo is out of the question as my salary is in the low 70s. I was thinking about Alexandria, Arlington, or Woodbridge. Can I get a really nice apt for $1300 or less in any one of those cities that is pretty safe. I hear all kinds of horror stories about the cost of living. Can a single person "make it" in northern virigina with my salary or will I have to eat Roman noodles every night to survive? In addition, I have my own car but I hate to drive so I want to live in a city where I can take the Metro to work(DC that is). Thanks for all advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 11:56 AM

5 posts, read 38,841 times
Why not consider Lorton? I manage an Apartment Community which offers two bedrooms in the $1300/month range. I relocated here, from Florida, in April 2006 and it's definitely an up and coming area. We have a VRE station for your commute; The new Lorton Station Marketplace and Lorton Station Town Center, offer restaurants, supermarkets, banking, coffee shops, dry cleaners, etc. We are located outside the beltway making it more affordable. Other local amenities include the nearby marinas on the Occoquan and Potomac rivers, several local and state parks, recreation facilities. The Lorton Workhouse Art Center will be opened in the location of a former federal prison currently undergoing revitalization.

Lorton is conveniently located at Exit 163 on I95, North of Woodbridge. Check us out! Best of luck on your upcoming move!

Old 12-12-2006, 04:34 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,365,525 times
Arlington is definitely the most Metro accessible of your locations and a quick and easy ride into DC. It's also probably the most expensive of your choices. You can find a one-bedroom for your price, but I doubt a two bedroom, and what two bedrooms you find may not be so nice but I suppose that's subjective. Price-wise, Woodbridge is your best bet. You should be able to find a two bedroom for that price down there. Again, "nice" is subjective, but the quality will most likely be better than those places closer in just because in general rent and housing is cheaper the further you go out from DC. Of course, you're also now some 25 miles from DC, have one train station, a VRE station as opposed to Metro, and not nearly as many things to do close by. You also have to take into considerationg just how far the train station is from your home. It may seem like a non-issue to be in the same city as the train station, but the fact of the matter is that unfortunately, traffic can be so bad that just GETTING to the station can take a good amount of time.

I don't know yoru spending habits or other expenses but you should DEFINITELY be able to survive on your salary. Especially if you'll be spending only some $1300/month on housing. When people talk about the insane cost of living in the DC area, it's generally in relation to housing (and generally buying as opposed to renting), so if you find a good deal on housing, that takes care of the worst of things. I'm assuming based on taxes that will give you rougly $3500/month to get by on in terms of food, insurance, car payments, gas, bills and spending money.

I would personally recommend Arlington for convenience in terms of commuting and things to do, but the cost may be a factor.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:33 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,022,718 times
I say Woodbridge. It has everything you want and is less expensive. You can drive to the closest Metro station which I think is Springfield, park your car and take the Metro in.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:15 AM

4 posts, read 24,318 times
Default Thanks

Thanks guys for all of your help. Yall (excuse the Texas lango) seem to know the area pretty well. Normally my company provides some relocating info but when it's time to relocate, there's usually a short turn around time and of all the places I lived and visited, the DC metropolitan area is the place I'm most clueless.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:27 AM

7 posts, read 36,057 times
Dp you know how long the commute would be from Lorton to Fort Myer/ Arlington Cemetary?? I am hoping to move to Lorton, but worried about the I-95 commute. Please give me any info you've got. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia