U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 12:29 PM

2,690 posts, read 2,410,179 times

Advertisements

3 years ago when we moved into our current home we had our fios transferred over. That was during the Verizon strike that nobody talked about and our bill got royally screwed up for the first couple of months, to the tune of $500!

We've been paying roughly $260/month for 75mbps internet speed, 1 DVR, 4 satellite dvr receivers, and a phone. Channel lineup includes movie channels (but oddly not stuff like Oprah channel or Smithsonian channel). The flippin' nightmare of the first few months made me fear questioning my bill after it appeared to settle down to a predictable amount. Additionally, that whole quatum tv thing they say we've got....yeah, has never worked ever. Can't watch crap on my igadgets, says dvr not online. gave up on that thing years ago....

My contract is expired now. I'm online pricing out Xfinity and appears to be a much better deal with faster internet (1000mbps), better channel lineup, same TV count, and same phone. Appears to be about $200 instead of existing $260 and for much faster internet.

Anyone switched over from Fios to Xfinity and had serious problems?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 12:32 PM

2,825 posts, read 1,082,140 times
When I recently looked into it..it turned out to be a wash. Like both offer promotional pricing on the website, but if you click through to the very end and see their final bill estimate including all taxes and fees..it ends up being in the same ballpark. I mean you see "69.99" on the site..but then the bill is like $115 with both (more obviously if you have multiple rooms/TVs).

It's actually pretty egregious...and so I'm a cord cutter now.

Old 08-23-2018, 01:23 PM

Thanks Veritas! I tried to call Verizon to talk to someone on what my options were, they told me an hour wait and offered to call me back. They did call me back, and it was even more "press 2 here, press 1 there". Got through, and while I don't mean to sound cruel here, but I simply could not understand the lady on the phone. Her accent was so strong, I could not follow what she was saying. I went down that road the last time and it wore me out in trying to fix their billing mishap 3 years ago. But ultimately all they could offer me was the same as I've got. Told me I could lock in my current pricing for another 3 years for the same stuff I've had for the past 3 years.

I called the 800 number on the xfinity website next, after walking through their online steps for what I wanted. Got a guy instantly from NC. You're right about the taxes and whatnots, but knew that going in and one of the reasons why I called before deciding. End of the day - more channels, a lot faster internet (1000mbps vs 75mbps), same TV count, same phone, all-in for $217 ($40 less than Verizon for a lot more services) for the next 2 years.

But what really sold me was when the sales guy, who did not have to tell me this, told me about Roku? Said if I wanted to lower my bill even further in the future, I could keep the DVR, return the other 4 HD boxes, and use a RoKu stick instead on those other 4 TV's for free! So basically, I need to buy a couple of these dongle things from Walmart. What I liked about that idea is that I can now have full cable TV in my garage, or the exercise room, or bring the tv outside by the fire pit and watch college football! No more being tethered by a cable box. Maybe Fios does this too (or likely will), but I doubt they'd tell me about it.

So, hopefully this is all true and will deliver as advertised. Honestly, if 80% ends up being true, I'd be happy.

Old 08-23-2018, 02:52 PM

976 posts, read 1,565,528 times
Careful with Comcast internet speeds. They are all "up to" xxx mbps...which means you could actually end up with the same or slower than what you have currently.

Between Verizon and Comcast, I will go with Verizon hands down every time. When I had Comcast, I had frequent outages, frequent slow speeds...the reliability of Verizon means I don't care if their customer service is crap because I'm not calling their customer service on a monthly basis like I did with Comcast.

That said, I know both companies have their horror stories. We use our gaming systems (PS and Xbox) and FireSticks for streaming. We completely ditched "cable" and have internet only. We stream Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, and YouTube. We use an Ooma for home phone service (about 5 bucks a month). We've been cable-free for probably about 5 years now with a Verizon FiOS monthly bill of $59.99.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:05 AM

125 posts, read 155,548 times
I am very concerned about uninterrupted internet...I would go with fios..!

Old 08-24-2018, 11:56 AM

529 posts, read 623,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Thanks Veritas! I tried to call Verizon to talk to someone on what my options were, they told me an hour wait and offered to call me back. They did call me back, and it was even more "press 2 here, press 1 there". Got through, and while I don't mean to sound cruel here, but I simply could not understand the lady on the phone. Her accent was so strong, I could not follow what she was saying. I went down that road the last time and it wore me out in trying to fix their billing mishap 3 years ago. But ultimately all they could offer me was the same as I've got. Told me I could lock in my current pricing for another 3 years for the same stuff I've had for the past 3 years.

I called the 800 number on the xfinity website next, after walking through their online steps for what I wanted. Got a guy instantly from NC. You're right about the taxes and whatnots, but knew that going in and one of the reasons why I called before deciding. End of the day - more channels, a lot faster internet (1000mbps vs 75mbps), same TV count, same phone, all-in for $217 ($40 less than Verizon for a lot more services) for the next 2 years.

But what really sold me was when the sales guy, who did not have to tell me this, told me about Roku? Said if I wanted to lower my bill even further in the future, I could keep the DVR, return the other 4 HD boxes, and use a RoKu stick instead on those other 4 TV's for free! So basically, I need to buy a couple of these dongle things from Walmart. What I liked about that idea is that I can now have full cable TV in my garage, or the exercise room, or bring the tv outside by the fire pit and watch college football! No more being tethered by a cable box. Maybe Fios does this too (or likely will), but I doubt they'd tell me about it.

So, hopefully this is all true and will deliver as advertised. Honestly, if 80% ends up being true, I'd be happy.
How does Roku work that replaces a set top box?

Old 08-24-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvVA View Post
How does Roku work that replaces a set top box?

I'm not entirely sure yet, but from the description yesterday, sounds like there is an app on the Roku stick (maybe Xfinity app) that lets your home network beam all of the channels you have on your plan to that stick. We've been seeing comments in our neighborhood chat board about folks doing this now and everyone seems to really like it! Moreso about the ability to have a TV with their channels in places that don't have a tv or network jack (like the garage). My hope is to watch Alabama beat Auburn again this year while sitting in my hot tub! That would be AWESOME! Probably can look it up on utube as well to see how it works.

My understanding is that Comcast runs on the same fiber wire now that Fios runs on. Probably leasing the wire. Sounds like the difference here is somewhere in a data center, and not field infrastructure. Seeing as how over 90% of the world's internet appears to be flowing through Loudoun County these days, I'm not terribly worried about fluctuating internet speed. Sure might be "up to" 1,000 Mbps (likely at 3:00am when nobody is awake in the world), but even if I average 100Mbps, that's still faster than what I've got now and for less money.

I'll also say, Fios redid their TV menu interface a while back. It sucked then, and it still sucks today. So difficult to look up movies and whatnot. Not very user friendly, and seems chunky/slow for us to move around the menus. Not a fan. I've been with them for 7 years now. Only service provider we've had here. They strained me on the bill fiasco, but really lost all of us in the house when they changed the menu interface.

Old 08-25-2018, 01:50 PM

2,730 posts, read 7,642,002 times
If you're really on a budget, I have xfinity, $29.99 for the first 6 months. Then I'll threaten to cancel, and continue the deal.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:31 PM

4 posts, read 2,854 times
There is Youtube TV streaming option: $39.99 with no contract, no box, no DVR, unlimited cloud recording, many devices can be used simultaneously. The only drawback is no HD audio.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:40 AM

Update:

So, Verizon has once again tried to screw us over. Yesterday our house went blank. No phone, no internet, no TV. We're scheduled to have Xfinity turned on next Thursday (9/6). We're keeping our same phone number for the house phone. What does Verizon do?

Well, Verizon apparently received notice this week that our phone number is scheduled to be ported over to Comcast on 9/6. So, Verizon immediately shuts us down at their junction box for the neighborhood yesterday. Pulls the plug on us. No warning, no phone call to confirm we're moving service providers, no nothing. Just goes dark.

I waste an hour yesterday talking to Verizon to figure out what happened (that's when, through a few answers to my question, I figured out how this whole thing works and they receive advance notice of pending phone number transfers). They insist a service tech must come to our house to verify that the error is not inside the home. I tell them no way it's inside the home. They insist for the service tech. I agree, and say I'm assuming this is a free visit. They say only if the error is found to be outside of the home.

They come today. Guy doesn't even set foot into our home. Goes to that service box in the neighborhood, and guess what - it all comes back on. Guy comes back to the house to confirm. Says Verizon will charge us $100 for the visit. We say we're not paying anything and not signing anything. He agrees it's Verizon's error and says he has deleted the charge. Seems very nice and also seems like he's done this routine before and doesn't particularly care for it.

So....any bets my final bill from Verizon will include a $100 service charge? Any bets I'll be stuck in the customer service loop with them for the next 3 months over it?

Verizon, what the hell is wrong with you? Why can't you get this together? What part of this business practice do you not understand that can easily trigger an investigation into your business practices for deceptive/fraudulent activity? I bet there is a long trail of folks paying this fee when they didn't realize they did not have to and should not have incurred this error in the first place. Geezz...

Hats off to the service tech though! He was on the ball and clearly knew the game that Verizon wanted him to play. Even admitted that Verizon disconnected us too early, was entirely their mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia