Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 05:58 AM

30 posts, read 33,573 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

Moving to DC job in Spring. Considering Manassas area for home. Can you provide thoughts on (a) living here; (b) housing; and (c) how reasonable the commute will be to DC area? I've heard mixed things about Manassas area.

In general what are the following areas like: (1) Manassas? (2) Manassas Park? (3) Lake Jackson, VA? Can you comment on those areas generally, as well as talk about affordability, commute, schools, and crime?

My work is currently located off the Red Line near Union Station, so I will have to transfer from the VRE to Metro; or take another form of transit (open to suggestions including bus or driving; I currently leave for work early so a 5:30 am drive would be fine for me if that makes commuting more doable). However, in about a year or two the office will move to Camp Springs, MD off the Branch Ave Green line. On the positive side, teleworking is available 3 days per week, so I'm able to work from home 3 days per week an'd only have to commute to the office 2 times per week max. My commute currently is 1hr 15min so I'm familiar with longer commutes.

I'll be making 97K first year then get a pay bump to 114K on day 366. I would like a SFH ideally with room for the kids. I would like to stay in the 300- 425K range if possible. How realistic is that in wanting a SFH with 3 or more bedrooms and a yard in those areas?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 06:20 AM

722 posts, read 1,923,494 times
I live near Manassas (Bristow) and my spouse works at the Pentagon (so closer in than you will be commuting to.) The commute is rough. When we moved here his job was closer to home, and the only reason we didn't move when he got the job at the Pentagon is because our kids were already established here (school, activities, etc.) and we didn't want to disrupt that. There is no way we'd move way out here with the plan of commuting that far.
Do you have a spouse, and will they also be working? How old are the kids? I'd be concerned if both parents had long commutes, with things like school emergencies/illness you wouldn't want it to take an hour + to reach your kids.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:51 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,272 times
Couple dozen SFH homes currently in Manassas in the price range, you shouldn't have a problem finding something. Tax rate is higher in Manassas Park.

Have you thought about Woodbridge? I'd prefer a 95 commute over 66, if driving or using a bus. Both have VRE stations. You could also drive to Springfield and take metro in if it made sense cost/time wise.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:41 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiCommuter View Post
Hi all!

My work is currently located off the Red Line near Union Station, so I will have to transfer from the VRE to Metro;.
I am confused. Is your job walking distance to Union Station, or is it near a Red Line stop that is one or more stops away from Union Station?

If the former, you would not need to transfer from VRE to Metro. VRE stops at Union Station (its other centrally located stops are L'Enfant Plaza in DC and Crystal City in Arlington)

Note also, if your job is at Judiciary Square, walking from Union Station might be faster than waiting for the Red Line.

Its also possible to use Capital Bikeshare to get from Union Station (or L'Enfant) to other parts of central DC - I know at least one person who does that.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:57 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
For a DC commute (and then eventually Maryland), Manassas is probably one of the worst areas you could pick. I realize the prices are good, but as another poster said, you'd do better to do the Woodbridge commute going in the direction. I'd pick Manassas only if I was working in the vicinity of I66, Dulles area, etc. I work in DC (not far from Union Station) and the Manassas folks have some of the longest commutes. The VRE to Metro and changing is going to be an hour and half. Unless there's some very compelling reason to be out in Manassas I wouldn't do it.

Old 10-24-2018, 02:17 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,264,664 times
I don't know much about commuting from Woodbridge to the area around the Branch Ave metro stop (when your office moves) but I would think there isn't anything direct. You would likely have to go to L'enfant Plaza in DC and transfer to the green line out to Branch Ave.

Old 10-24-2018, 02:32 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
I don't know much about commuting from Woodbridge to the area around the Branch Ave metro stop (when your office moves) but I would think there isn't anything direct. You would likely have to go to L'enfant Plaza in DC and transfer to the green line out to Branch Ave.
Or you could slug or take a bus to the Navy Yard and pick the green line up there out to Branch Avenue. Lots more options from Woodbridge. Of course, Manassas or Woodbridge aren't the most ideal spots for long commutes but I'm guessing price is a factor here.

Edited to add: If going early, the drive from Woodbridge to Camp Springs isn't bad. The worst part is getting out of Woodbridge. You then take I95/495 over the Wilson Bridge and you're just a few exits up to Camp Springs. My mother did this commute for years from Lake Ridge during more peak hours and it wasn't too bad.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:12 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
Couple dozen SFH homes currently in Manassas in the price range, you shouldn't have a problem finding something. Tax rate is higher in Manassas Park.

Have you thought about Woodbridge? I'd prefer a 95 commute over 66, if driving or using a bus. Both have VRE stations. You could also drive to Springfield and take metro in if it made sense cost/time wise.

OP. While I prefer Manassas over Woodbridge I agree with kww here. Easier commute from woodbridge. I know the county like the back of my hand so I can answer a lot of questions for you otherwise.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:55 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
How about the 20112 area of Manassas? We used to live in a community called Ashland. It’s only a few miles off of 95 near Montclair/Dumfries. Maybe it would provide decent commuting options up 95?

Old 10-24-2018, 07:05 PM

30 posts, read 33,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post

@kww: Haven't thought about it...this is first I've heard of it! I"m completely open to suggestions. Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia