Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2018, 04:55 PM

289 posts, read 256,339 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody! I have family in Hagerstown, MD, and live in Raleigh, NC. My wife and I always choose to take the scenic route when traveling to and from MD. I do not possess an extensive enough vocabulary to express just how happy driving through the area around the Village of Paris makes me, or how much it warms my heart. The Village of Paris is just one place, but I think much of North Central to North Western VA would evoke similar emotions from my wife and me. I love the area, and am starting to look for a house there (a very large area at this point).

Our wants are:
  • Minimum of 3 acres, but the more the better! This is more of a requirement than a “want”.
  • Hi speed internet. This might be a tough one, but it is a requirement do to our jobs. We both work from home, and definitely need cable or fiber internet.
  • Cooler summer temperatures and more snow, so maybe higher elevations. This would be nice, but not a requirement.
  • Is there an area that has relatively lower humidity than surrounding areas? If so, that would be awesome!
  • Friendly-enough neighbors who treat people how they wish to be treated themselves. My name is Carlos, and I have experienced, first-hand, prejudice in small towns (big towns and cities as well, but it is different in small towns) that starts at first introductions based on my first name. This is almost always invariably a minor laughable issue that never grows into a problem. It’s funny, because there was actually a book written about my ancestors (direct maternal lineage) coming to this country on a ship called Neptune. My relatives fought in the Revolutionary war and every war afterward, but … I was named after my father. I am the ninth Carlos! Anyway, I generally get along with just about anybody as long as they give me a chance.
  • No HOAs, and nobody involving themselves in my business. Don’t tell me how many chickens I can have on my land, or that I can’t build a barn wherever the heck I want. At heart, I am a redneck hillbilly country boy who believes in and trusts good science, respects others, can do some really neat stuff with Microsoft Excel, listens to all types of music, but loves John Denver, and asks Alexa to play “Country Boys Can Survive” by Hank Williams, Jr. more often than I go to the dentist’s and doctor’s office combined.
  • No BSL (Breed Specific Legislation) – We have muscular, block-headed dogs that aren’t welcome in some places. If our American Bulldogs and American Pitbull Terriers are not welcome in X Town, then that is the last place we would ever want to live. Absolute requirement.
  • Proximity to good hospital. World-class can be a helicopter ride away, but a “good” hospital is important.
  • Good schools, public and/or private. Pretty darn important.
  • Proximity to a small town fit for a Hallmark Christmas special. That is a long-shot dream want

So, where should we move? Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 06:37 PM

15,154 posts, read 27,846,811 times
You need to post in the general Virginia thread - not the Northern Virginia https://www.city-data.com/forum/virginia/

Old 11-01-2018, 07:15 PM

9,887 posts, read 14,164,547 times
You also need to post what size home you want and your budget.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
You also need to post what size home you want and your budget.
Thank you. I did not think those things were relevant since one could no doubt find a significant variety of homes of different sizes and prices in the vast area I wrote of. Size and price are criteria I would think to share with a realtor, but it never occurred to me share that information here. Thank you!

Old 11-02-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
You need to post in the general Virginia thread - not the Northern Virginia https://www.city-data.com/forum/virginia/
Thank you! I thought the area I posted about looked to be in the northern part of Va. Sorry

Is there a proper way of handling this? I do not see an "Edit" button available for my original post. I don't see a way of deleting it or moving it.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:40 AM

4,453 posts, read 8,149,406 times
I would consider somewhere close to Winchester. I don't know anything about breed specific issues, but it's a nice area, with rural lots so probably no HOA to worry about, but maybe covenants. Hospital there is well ranked.

Winchester

Old 11-02-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I would consider somewhere close to Winchester. I don't know anything about breed specific issues, but it's a nice area, with rural lots so probably no HOA to worry about, but maybe covenants. Hospital there is well ranked.

Winchester
Thank you! Winchester is definitely in the area which I am interested in, and I just like the name of the town

Last edited by carlito2002wgn; 11-02-2018 at 07:06 AM..

Old 11-03-2018, 01:34 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,264,910 times
I lived in NOVA for many years and we finally decided to leave it as I tired of the congestion. We looked at the Winchester area as I was very familiar with it due to my job. But we decided Winchester had just grown too much and was pretty much NOVA in the making. There really is very little farming left in Winchester/Frederick Co and the mountain views are ten times better in Shenandoah. We looked a little south in Shenandoah County and settled near Edinburg and Woodstock. Edinburg is a little town with no lights and no chain restaurants. They have events during the year that can be fun. But Woodstock is larger without being a big city. Woodstock has so many events in the town during the year that you can always find something fun to do. Shenandoah Co is a very beautiful part of the valley with some gorgeous views here. Not to show off but here is my view from my front door. EDIT: I can't figure out to attach a pic but the valley is an area where you could find your dream home.

Last edited by Bigfoot424; 11-03-2018 at 02:14 AM..

Old 11-09-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I lived in NOVA for many years and we finally decided to leave it as I tired of the congestion. We looked at the Winchester area as I was very familiar with it due to my job. But we decided Winchester had just grown too much and was pretty much NOVA in the making. There really is very little farming left in Winchester/Frederick Co and the mountain views are ten times better in Shenandoah. We looked a little south in Shenandoah County and settled near Edinburg and Woodstock. Edinburg is a little town with no lights and no chain restaurants. They have events during the year that can be fun. But Woodstock is larger without being a big city. Woodstock has so many events in the town during the year that you can always find something fun to do. Shenandoah Co is a very beautiful part of the valley with some gorgeous views here. Not to show off but here is my view from my front door. EDIT: I can't figure out to attach a pic but the valley is an area where you could find your dream home.
Hi Bigfoot, and thank you for your reply. Sorry it took me so long to respond, but I have been checking out Woodstock since I saw your post (about an hour after you posted it) Woodstock looks awesome!

Are you familiar with Powell Mountain Ln? I found some land for sale off of Powell Mountain that looks promising, but I need to do some research and find out if I will be able to get high-speed internet there (requirement for our jobs).

Thanks again!
Carlos

Old 11-10-2018, 03:31 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,264,910 times
I'm very familiar with the area but not that lane. Just make sure access is not over one of the small one lane bridges that can flood around here. Meaning you're stuck at home, or from home, until the flooding recedes. We left FIOS in NOVA when we moved here and now use Shentel. We've found our internet speed is fine as we don't do games and such. Due to an injury I've even worked from home some and had no issues. I'm further out in the country then this spot so I would think internet is fine there.

In Woodstock check out the Woodstock Cafe. Local favorite and you'll see why once in there. Edinburg Mill is due south on Main St (Rt. 11) in Edinburg and something to see. There really is a lot to see in this area plus Woodstock does so much during the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia