Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 04:00 AM

78 posts, read 92,843 times

Advertisements

Over the last few days, I found something odd about Amazon Prime two-day shipping to Northern VA. Areas such as McLean, Great Falls, and Springfield continue to enjoy free two-day shipping, but Prime shipments to Reston, Herndon, Ashburn, and Fairfax are now being estimated to arrive 6-9 days under “Two-day shipping.” Strangely, same day shipping is not affected for any location.

Does anyone else see this too? Anyone know what’s going on? Calls to Amazon are met with standard, canned responses that are useless (“different areas are subject to different distribution schedules” etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 04:27 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
I live in the Shenandoah Valley and we still see 2-day shipping.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:13 AM

148 posts, read 369,643 times
I'm in Maryland and have noticed the same thing recently. I ordered an item last Tuesday (sold by Amazon) and normally I would receive it within two days, but it still hasn't arrived, although it is supposed to be delivered today. When I noticed this long delay, I shopped around for some other products as a test and everything gave a week's delivery estimate.

I also contacted Amazon and they were no help ("try ordering something else instead"). A friend who experienced the same delayed schedule had more luck when she contacted them. They said there was significant damage to a sorting facility in the Baltimore area from a tornado a couple weeks ago. Apparently that has caused some of the delays.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:08 AM

810 posts, read 1,024,927 times
I've noticed that for items that are eligible for 1 day prime shipping (when buying over $35 of items), you can still get them in 1 day, but 2 day shipping turns into the same 6-9 day window.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
They said there was significant damage to a sorting facility in the Baltimore area from a tornado a couple weeks ago. Apparently that has caused some of the delays.
If that were the case, I wonder why eastern parts of NoVA are still getting two-day estimates, but the western parts aren’t.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:03 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
Strange - I just did a trial of an amazon prime item and the free 2 day delivery time frame was November 19 - 24. Ugh!!! Thanks for the heads up.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:49 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
I noticed this as well. Received a delivery window 8 days out for 6 very different and random ordered Prime items. I used their Chat function and demanded all items arrive in two days or I would drop my Prime membership.

And they did.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:52 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times
I think this has something to do with certain products but not widespread, I ordered a jacket from Amazon close to midnight on 11/12 and it's arriving tomorrow. I'm in Herndon.

Then on the same night I ordered a pair of shoes (I was in a shopping mood that night!) and my choice of shoes were not available for Prime so it's now saying it will arrive between Dec 4 - Dec 26. I guess my choice of color is out of stock, maybe? There were other shoes in different colors from the same seller that were available for Prime but I'm staying with my choice for now. It's a cute color and I'm in no rush.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:54 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieGreene View Post
Over the last few days, I found something odd about Amazon Prime two-day shipping to Northern VA. Areas such as McLean, Great Falls, and Springfield continue to enjoy free two-day shipping, but Prime shipments to Reston, Herndon, Ashburn, and Fairfax are now being estimated to arrive 6-9 days under “Two-day shipping.” Strangely, same day shipping is not affected for any location.

Does anyone else see this too? Anyone know what’s going on? Calls to Amazon are met with standard, canned responses that are useless (“different areas are subject to different distribution schedules” etc.).
Unless they changed their policy in the past 6 months, you can call Amazon and complain about delayed 2 day deliveries and you get a $5 credit or an extra month free on your prime account - but you have to ask for it, they rarely offer it on their own

Old 11-14-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I noticed this as well. Received a delivery window 8 days out for 6 very different and random ordered Prime items. I used their Chat function and demanded all items arrive in two days or I would drop my Prime membership.

And they did.
Please elaborate. You now have two day estimates after the demand or just for those specific items you ordered?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia