Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 01:25 PM

9 posts, read 47,379 times

Advertisements

What do you like about Northern Virginia?
We are moving there soon and I'm looking for reasons to feel joyful about it. I do think it's beautiful (I visited) but I'm looking for a random list of things - big and small - that make you happy to live here. It may be an easier question for those of you who moved from somewhere else, as it is easy for natives to take things for granted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 02:29 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,004,724 times
Well--hard question! I''ve lived in the area my entire life--and things (transportation, mainly) just keep getting worse. There are sooooo many nice things closeby, but getting to them is nearly impossible. For instance--we had season tickets to the Redskins games---the trip should take 45 min. but as the years went on, our trip home would take 2 1/2 hours!!!!! We finally stopped getting tickets--not because we don't want to go to the game--we just can't seem to get home!
The shopping in the area can be great, but if you live outside of the immediate area, add an extra hour or two to your trip! No lie.
So many good things--but the damn traffic far outweighs the good.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:38 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,107,778 times
Job opportunities are very good in the area, particularly for people with careers in public policy. Community resources are widely available and much better than anywhere else we've lived (e.g., libraries, parks, rec centers, museums, schoools, etc.). We've also developed many good friendships through our church, moms groups, neighborhood, and work (that's always a plus). We left the area in 2003 and returned in 2007. We missed it.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:47 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,814,354 times
It is beautiful most times of the year, little to no snow in the winter. There are so many convenient things (stores, sightseeing spots, metro) - moved here from Pittsburgh. There is traffic, but if you can plan around it or otherwise just "accept" it - it's great. We love Alexandria City - it's wonderful to walk around Old Town, sit by the water and relax, etc.

Contrary to some other threads, I've found friendly people - not many "friends", it's a transient area in some respects, but I think if you're outgoing and friendly, people respond in kind.

Good Luck - Come on to Va.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:56 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,509,269 times
NOVA has tons of rec. centers, parks, lakes, hiking trails - lot of things to do. High paying professional Jobs are plentiful here. The climate is nice - early Spring - nice Fall, mild Winter -
The schools are good. Most people are friendly in a standoffish way.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:17 AM

76 posts, read 307,521 times
Good sidewalks. Easy to find a job. The Redskins are always the biggest thing happening in the area; probably the best way to socialize (not during the action, though). Law enforcement has become too aggressive (they need the money) in their treatment of hardworking, taxpayin' citizens, while they allow gangbangers to destroy shopping areas.

Remember this: Developers tried to build a world class horse track and Redskins' stadium in Loudon County, but the Leftists wouldn't let them--so instead they turned half of Loudon into townhouse hell.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:23 AM

6,750 posts, read 6,744,776 times
Access to DC and walkable close-in suburbs like Arlington and Alexandria are why this place stands out among pro-business growth areas. I couldn't live in the strip mall paradises of Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, and Houston.

Northern Virginia has all the growth in the DC suburbs. Since 1990, close to 80% of all jobs paying over 100k outside the District have been created in Virginia. Maryland lacks airport access and its anti-business politicians have ensured that virtually all new economic activity in the region stays across the river.

Lots of sports teams as well. I used to be a big Redskin fan, but I'm all Nats and Caps now, Dan Snyder and the PG County stadium killed my interest in the team. Noticing others slowly ditching the Skins for other area teams.

We got 5 inches of snow this year, while Boston got 52. Being from New England originally, this is a major benefit for me.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:29 PM

83 posts, read 419,029 times
Doesn't Maryland have an international airport? Anyway NoVA has D.C.'s main national and international airports, great if your an airport lover.
One of the things I like is that it feels safe. It doesn't seem possible when you're just across the river from two of the most murderous places on Earth. D.C. and Maryland have the well earned names of "Murder Capital" and "Murderland" respectively, while Northern Virginia is just "NOVA" (like the stellar nuclear explosion). The river keeps all the baddies out I guess.
Another good thing is that NoVA is so diverse that it should embarrass Washington, how can a suburb be more diverse than the capital of a massive, diverse country?

Old 04-07-2008, 06:21 AM

18 posts, read 78,169 times
Thumbs up NOVA diversity

I like Northern Virginia because it is one of the more recession-proof areas of the country. However this time, it seems everywhere people are going to suffer.

I heard that Detroit's median home prices are $20,000.yes, that's five zeroes.

I heard that 24% of their students graduate from high school That's one out of every four actuallt finish high school.

I also heard that you can drive the streets of Detroit and not find a single car out on the roads...No one has a job, or money to drive a car these days.

Northern Virginia has decent weather, also...not too much snow, not to much wind or cold, and not too much heat......it al is broken into four seasons, none of which is too long.

Now I am burying myself in one of those immigrant communities (from Inida) because they are young professionals, and our immediate area has a zero crime rate (middle Herndon.) Can't beat that..........I just don't push it by going more than a mile or so in either direction, other than in my car. Walking around here is fab.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:33 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,963,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hj2500 View Post
Another good thing is that NoVA is so diverse that it should embarrass Washington, how can a suburb be more diverse than the capital of a massive, diverse country?
That is an interesting (and profound) question. You're right, the suburbs are more diverse that the city--that is unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia