Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 05:39 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,891,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Walker View Post
It's over for the next 3 weeks.

Curious to see how federal employees react to the instability of working for the government. I'd bet that most people go on about their lives, other people will start to reduce their spending and increase their reserves, while other people leave federal government jobs.
This is an interesting article that looks at how some people are planning for the next few weeks:

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/28/68921...-shutdown-loom

One Attorney from the EPA said he is trying to work as many hours at his second job at Home Depot as he can in preparation. One couple, who are both feds, are contemplating whether it's smart for them to both be federal government employees or if it's better for one of them to switch to private.

That is pretty sad that being a federal government employee has come to that (an attorney working at Home Depot???? And couples questioning whether it's smart for them to both work at the government???)

The 2013 shutdown opened the gates (and caused more fear and hysteria among federal workers since it was a full one), but this partial shutdown has certainly continued the spiral of instability (or at least inconvenience- since employees eventually get paid) of government work. It will be interesting to see what happens next year at the end of September when the full government will need a budget and the shutdown threats surface again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 06:36 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,675,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
The 2013 shutdown opened the gates (and caused more fear and hysteria among federal workers since it was a full one), but this partial shutdown has certainly continued the spiral of instability (or at least inconvenience- since employees eventually get paid) of government work. It will be interesting to see what happens next year at the end of September when the full government will need a budget and the shutdown threats surface again.
I agree. I always thought that if the DoD had been part of this shutdown (DoD is a major, countrywide employer), it would not have gone on as long.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:29 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
This is an interesting article that looks at how some people are planning for the next few weeks:

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/28/68921...-shutdown-loom

One Attorney from the EPA said he is trying to work as many hours at his second job at Home Depot as he can in preparation. One couple, who are both feds, are contemplating whether it's smart for them to both be federal government employees or if it's better for one of them to switch to private.

That is pretty sad that being a federal government employee has come to that (an attorney working at Home Depot???? And couples questioning whether it's smart for them to both work at the government???)

Really makes you think. What's sad is the people who leave are usually the most competent ones, who can easily get a job somewhere else. Good new for local companies, I guess, since they're most likely the ones who will now get some fresh talent.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:58 PM

406 posts, read 625,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Good new for local companies, I guess, since they're most likely the ones who will now get some fresh talent.
Doubt this seriously.

Most of our market is made up of individuals who choose to live here because of the higher salaries. I suspect that we start to see more people than ever move out of the region in search of security and quality of life.

The government shutdown has exposed what I've already noticed while selling homes in this area for the past 5 years. Despite high incomes, most people are barely making ends meet.

That means that they will always struggle during government shutdowns.

Maybe this shutdown is the push some people need to pursue a better quality of life.

Another reason why I doubt that government workers will switch to a government contractor is the risk involved with the contract market. Dealing with contract instability every 5 - 7 years doesn't sound stable to me. Plus, some government contractors did not get paid during the shutdown.

Could you imagine missing a month of pay while still being able-bodied?

I can't.

The impact of government shutdowns won't be immediate but I know I will advise my kids that working for the government is risky. Is it as risky as working for the private sector, I don't think so. But, there is a risk that needs to be evaluated when making a choice between different opportunities.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:20 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,891,271 times
Quote:
Doubt this seriously.

Most of our market is made up of individuals who choose to live here because of the higher salaries. I suspect that we start to see more people than ever move out of the region in search of security and quality of life.

The government shutdown has exposed what I've already noticed while selling homes in this area for the past 5 years. Despite high incomes, most people are barely making ends meet.

That means that they will always struggle during government shutdowns.

Maybe this shutdown is the push some people need to pursue a better quality of life.

Another reason why I doubt that government workers will switch to a government contractor is the risk involved with the contract market. Dealing with contract instability every 5 - 7 years doesn't sound stable to me. Plus, some government contractors did not get paid during the shutdown.

Could you imagine missing a month of pay while still being able-bodied?

I can't.

The impact of government shutdowns won't be immediate but I know I will advise my kids that working for the government is risky. Is it as risky as working for the private sector, I don't think so. But, there is a risk that needs to be evaluated when making a choice between different opportunities.
Yes, I doubt government employees would leave the government to be a government contractor. As you said, that is even less stability and more risk than the government when it comes to shutdowns. I would think more would try to move into the private sector, although that is not easy, especially for upper level positions. Unless you have a transferable license/certification (CPA, MD/other healthcare, some JDs, etc) or in-demand IT/engineering skills and experience.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:08 PM

More evidence that government workers are starting to question their job security.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...504993622.html

I simply could not imagine the amount of anxiety going through government worker's minds right now as they wrap their minds around the reality that they do not have a secure work environment.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:44 PM

599 posts, read 693,975 times
https://twitter.com/jilevin/status/1...432371713?s=20

It’s really devastating not to be even considered for a retropay.

But hey at least you feds got your pay increase

Old 01-30-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2MD View Post
https://twitter.com/jilevin/status/1...432371713?s=20

It’s really devastating not to be even considered for a retropay.

But hey at least you feds got your pay increase
Did government contractors believe that this bill would be passed? Is there a lobbying group for government contractors?

Old 01-30-2019, 11:57 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,121,426 times
Quote:
Did government contractors believe that this bill would be passed? Is there a lobbying group for government contractors?

I'm usually pretty jaded, but this time I was one of the people who believed it. Foolish me, I guess. Really sorry to see it didn't happen. It's just not right.

Old 01-31-2019, 04:24 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,256,160 times
My agency falls under DOJ and we have blanket permission now to obtain other work during a shutdown. As long as it does not interfere with the work our agency does nor can it be the same kind of work we already do. Hard to explain but we can get other jobs if we need to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia