Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2019, 08:25 AM

3 posts, read 2,953 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are currently renting in Arlington, VA in the Shirlington area. We really love it. However, we just can't afford to buy a home in this area, and we are looking to be a bit more removed from the city life. We are in our late 20's, have 2 dogs, not huge into night life but would like to have grocery stores/restaurants/bars within close driving distance. My husband works near National Harbor and so we are trying to find an affordable place to live (under 500k would be ideal) that would still be under an hour commute for him. We do not have a preference of Virginia or Maryland. We moved to Arlington about two years ago and so we are not super familiar with other areas and neighborhoods. Any help/information on surrounding areas would be super helpful! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 04:25 PM

429 posts, read 718,962 times
Default Try 22303 Fairfax County portion of Alexandria

Gosh this feels like I'm revealing a best kept secret - but here goes: Try 22303 in your real estate search (Realtor.com or others) with a top price of $500,000 and see what comes up. I'm especially partial to Jefferson Manor homes over Huntington homes mostly because I like basements (and Huntington water table is high and they've had flooding issues in the past) and I'm a sucker for a front porch.

The homes are twins (or semi-detached?) but built SOLID with hardwood floors and plaster walls and a nice yard your dogs would love. LOTS of people have dogs. More people have dogs than kids. If you've gotta commute over the WW bridge - you are right there. If you need to use metro - Huntington Station is right there.

You mentioned wanting to be close to grocery shopping - lots of those including a Wegman's at Telegraph and Beulah. I'm from out of state (daughter's family lives in 22303) and when I visit I like to pop into Trader Joe's in Old Town which is a 5-10 minute drive. (Underground parking is free). Oh, yeah, places to eat or drink - Old Town is great. Farmers Market in Old Town in the summer, too.

I'm a country girl and I like green and I HEARTILY recommend two local parks:
- Dyke Marsh along the Potomac River; park next to the marina and take a walk out to the boardwalk that goes into the marshes and river; count the great blue herons and watch for the eagles; when you leave, stop for lunch at the Belle View Shopping Center (I highly recommend my favorite Indian restaurant "Dishes of India" or the casual indy restaurant "Primo's" - BTW, last time I was at Primo's Martha Washington stopped to pick up takeout - no lie!
- Huntley Meadows Park south on Route 1, turn at Lockheed; this place is HUGE and tucked away. No dogs allowed on boardwalks in the lake, but there are nice long trails; there were two beaver dams last time I was there, including one that was encroaching the boardwalk; mini-museum with a ranger and natural artifacts.

You're 5 minutes from the movie theaters at Eisenhower. Hmmm, I think I'll stop now. I gotta say, you are close in but feel like country in spots. Down Route 1 has rough edges, but, if you've seen ROUGH, this isn't it. The houses are smaller but are well-kept. I understand the market is good, but with your budget this is a time and place to get a home on a piece of land that you can afford and works for you and your furbabies.

Anyhow, Good Luck!

Old 02-06-2019, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,225 times
Working at National Harbor, look at King George County. You have to cross the Potomac on 301 but you'll not miss NoVa traffic on the weekend. Easy shot to Va Beach, Richmond. Home prices are much more palatable than Nova, too.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:42 AM

526 posts, read 900,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jMichael1956 View Post
Working at National Harbor, look at King George County. You have to cross the Potomac on 301 but you'll not miss NoVa traffic on the weekend. Easy shot to Va Beach, Richmond. Home prices are much more palatable than Nova, too.
Boy, I wouldn't recommend this. That commute is an hour with NO traffic. Could easily be two or more hours each way during normal commuting hours.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:24 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,646,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie Beanie View Post
Gosh this feels like I'm revealing a best kept secret - but here goes: Try 22303 in your real estate search (Realtor.com or others) with a top price of $500,000 and see what comes up. I'm especially partial to Jefferson Manor homes over Huntington homes mostly because I like basements (and Huntington water table is high and they've had flooding issues in the past) and I'm a sucker for a front porch.

The homes are twins (or semi-detached?) but built SOLID with hardwood floors and plaster walls and a nice yard your dogs would love. LOTS of people have dogs. More people have dogs than kids. If you've gotta commute over the WW bridge - you are right there. If you need to use metro - Huntington Station is right there.

You mentioned wanting to be close to grocery shopping - lots of those including a Wegman's at Telegraph and Beulah. I'm from out of state (daughter's family lives in 22303) and when I visit I like to pop into Trader Joe's in Old Town which is a 5-10 minute drive. (Underground parking is free). Oh, yeah, places to eat or drink - Old Town is great. Farmers Market in Old Town in the summer, too.

- Dyke Marsh along the Potomac River; park next to the marina and take a walk out to the boardwalk that goes into the marshes and river; count the great blue herons and watch for the eagles; when you leave, stop for lunch at the Belle View Shopping Center (I highly recommend my favorite Indian restaurant "Dishes of India" or the casual indy restaurant "Primo's" - BTW, last time I was at Primo's Martha Washington stopped to pick up takeout - no lie!
- Huntley Meadows Park south on Route 1, turn at Lockheed; this place is HUGE and tucked away. No dogs allowed on boardwalks in the lake, but there are nice long trails; there were two beaver dams last time I was there, including one that was encroaching the boardwalk; mini-museum with a ranger and natural artifacts.

You're 5 minutes from the movie theaters at Eisenhower. Hmmm, I think I'll stop now. I gotta say, you are close in but feel like country in spots. Down Route 1 has rough edges, but, if you've seen ROUGH, this isn't it. The houses are smaller but are well-kept. I understand the market is good, but with your budget this is a time and place to get a home on a piece of land that you can afford and works for you and your furbabies.

Anyhow, Good Luck!
I agree with this. This is a great area and no one hardly talks about it. It'll put you out at 495 right across from National Harbor. Also, another good area is the Mount Vernon area of Alexandria near Route 1. That area is undergoing a transformation, as well.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:19 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorhead View Post
Boy, I wouldn't recommend this. That commute is an hour with NO traffic. Could easily be two or more hours each way during normal commuting hours.
Yeah, and when something goes wrong on the Nice Bridge, just give up, you're not making it to work that day. King George isn't exactly a mecca of grocery stores/restaurants/bars either. I would recommend many places in southern Fairfax County or southern PG County, or even Charles or Calvert Counties over King George.

Huntington sounds best. Otherwise, head west toward Kingstowne or Springfield. OP didn't specify townhouse or house, so I'm assuming a townhouse is OK.

On the MD side, you could head south to Ft. Washington or east toward Upper Marlboro, but neither of those places have what OP is looking for in close driving distance- you'd probably end up going to National Harbor for bars and restaurants.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:03 PM

230 posts, read 219,931 times
Like the poster above, I also recommend looking at Springfield (West Springfield) if you are entertaining a townhome. West Springfield (22152) would satisfy many of your needs. SFHs can be found in Springfield and West Springfield as well, but often start a bit above $500k.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:11 AM

This is all really helpful thank you so much for taking the time to post!

Old 02-17-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie Beanie View Post

Anyhow, Good Luck!
This is incredibly helpful and we are absolutely going to take a look at the zip code you mentioned. Thanks so much for taking the time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia