Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 01:29 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,401,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and Ill View Post
Spend some time in a Walmart and you will find that Fairfax has a large underclass who are really struggling. A large number of kids going to school in Fairfax County are getting free or reduced lunch?
I don't know if Walmart is a good indicator of an areas "underclass ".

I know this may sound disrespectful, none intended. But isn't that the scene at most Walmart stores? They do have the lowest prices therefore attracting shoppers from not only higher rungs of the socioeconomic ladder but lower rungs as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 01:39 PM

22,538 posts, read 12,109,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Yes, and one at Tysons with an occasional Ferrari, Aston or Rolls in the garage.
^^^^This is true! When we've been on Metro heading to Tysons, I've looked at that Walmart parking lot and saw some pricey cars parked there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I agree with your overall point, but there are plenty of those who are not typical living in Loudoun, and other well-off parts of this area. I know because I am one of those non-typical people living among the much more wealthy, in Loudoun.
^^^^We lived in LoCo for 30 years---all of it in Sterling and saw what happened in Sterling Park over the years When people hear that LoCo is the richest county in the US and I tell them that there are poor people living LoCo, more than once I've been called a "liar". Yet the one charity we donated goods and money to, The Good Shepherd Alliance, existed to help homeless families in LoCo.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:59 PM

6,891 posts, read 4,346,461 times
The client base at Tyson's Walmart is pretty much the same as at other stores. I go there frequently and if it's more lower class then I haven't noticed it really. There's of course also poor people shopping there (primarily Central American migrants I'd say), but you see that at Target etc. too.

The reality is that there's parts of NoVa that have low income housing and thus have poor people, too. There's no real hood in NoVa, some rougher places for sure though, but for reasons of geography and politics the hood mostly spread out out into PG county, Maryland.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:21 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,660,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
I don't know if Walmart is a good indicator of an areas "underclass ".

I know this may sound disrespectful, none intended. But isn't that the scene at most Walmart stores? They do have the lowest prices therefore attracting shoppers from not only higher rungs of the socioeconomic ladder but lower rungs as well?
I think it depends on where you go. In Fairfax and Loudoun, especially the WalMart in places like Tysons and Chantilly, I've seen your average shopper wearing pretty normal stuff anyone from NOVA would wear.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:06 PM

97 posts, read 113,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I mean, I have a newer car and I don’t think it’s that expensive. It’s always odd to me when people complain about the taxes here in general, compared to other metro areas similar to DC, taxes here aren’t perfect but they’re not awful either.
Oh come on, what model/yr/town are you in?

Old 03-09-2019, 12:26 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,416,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTBill View Post
Oh come on, what model/yr/town are you in?
I have an Audi... you’re misunderstanding me, let me be clear - I’m in no way saying I’m Jeff Bezos and I’m no where close to it.

My only point being, if you compare this area to other similar metro areas, the taxes here aren’t that bad but obviously that’s also subjective.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:34 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,346,452 times
There’s was a lot of divorces in my neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia