Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-25-2019, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Denver--->Atlanta--->DC
573 posts, read 2,506,990 times
Reputation: 149

Advertisements

Help! I am currently in the process of trying to buy a condo in Alexandria city (but also willing to look into close-in areas of Fairfax and South Arlington). Here’s the wrinkle—I have a 65 lb greyhound and I’m finding that many condos have weight limits even if they’re listed as dog friendly. I’ve also found that it’s very hard to find out specific HOA rules re: dogs online.
So—anybody know of condos with either a) no weight limit or b) a weight limit above 65 pounds for dogs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-25-2019, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA - Kingstowne Subdivision
406 posts, read 625,837 times
Reputation: 405
Good question.

Interested in hearing the responses.

This information is challenging to come by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2019, 07:28 AM
 
Location: alexandria, VA
16,352 posts, read 8,108,092 times
Reputation: 9726
I live in Montebello in Alexandria and I see people walking Golden Retrievers which can weigh about 65 lbs. Pit Bulls are banned though. So there are some restrictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2019, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Denver--->Atlanta--->DC
573 posts, read 2,506,990 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I live in Montebello in Alexandria and I see people walking Golden Retrievers which can weigh about 65 lbs. Pit Bulls are banned though. So there are some restrictions.
But are there weight limits written in the HOA rules? I’ve found there are some who have it but don’t enforce it...but that’s always a risk, because what if they decide to start enforcing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2019, 09:50 AM
 
Location: alexandria, VA
16,352 posts, read 8,108,092 times
Reputation: 9726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs1357 View Post
But are there weight limits written in the HOA rules? I’ve found there are some who have it but don’t enforce it...but that’s always a risk, because what if they decide to start enforcing it?
I've seen some pretty large dogs on the property including a few German Shepherds but I don't know if there is actually a weight limit in the rules. The only rule I know of for sure is no Pits. And that's fine by me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2019, 11:57 AM
 
24 posts, read 64,411 times
Reputation: 31
Another thing to consider:

https://www.hud.gov/sites/documents/...HEO2013-01.PDF

Not sure if it applies to your situation, but if you have a disability and your dog provides emotional support for that disability, under specific circumstances (not particularly strict ones) the property owner may not restrict the breed, size or weight of the emotional support animal. (caveat: IANAL, RTFM)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2019, 07:53 PM
 
1,624 posts, read 4,871,577 times
Reputation: 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs1357 View Post
But are there weight limits written in the HOA rules? I’ve found there are some who have it but don’t enforce it...but that’s always a risk, because what if they decide to start enforcing it?
To be honest, 65 lbs vs. 50 lbs (the most common weight restriction) is so close, it probably isn't going to be a big deal. Once you find the place you think you want to put an offer on, you call the management company or HOA president and ask if there are any pet restrictions, noting the weight, breed, age, and vaccination record of your dog. The seller's agent or seller should might know as well since the seller probably has a copy of the CCRs (though I wouldn't 100% rely on them solely). If there is one in the CCRs, then you submit a request for a waiver for the life of your dog and ask for an assessment of the feasibility of it being granted by the board. When I went through the process, every place said that was OK and was going to be granted. If they are cagey about it or very non-committal, then you can put a contingency in your offer that a waiver will be granted prior to close (though if it is a multiple bidder situation, this will make your offer less attractive).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2019, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Denver--->Atlanta--->DC
573 posts, read 2,506,990 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
To be honest, 65 lbs vs. 50 lbs (the most common weight restriction) is so close, it probably isn't going to be a big deal. Once you find the place you think you want to put an offer on, you call the management company or HOA president and ask if there are any pet restrictions, noting the weight, breed, age, and vaccination record of your dog. The seller's agent or seller should might know as well since the seller probably has a copy of the CCRs (though I wouldn't 100% rely on them solely). If there is one in the CCRs, then you submit a request for a waiver for the life of your dog and ask for an assessment of the feasibility of it being granted by the board. When I went through the process, every place said that was OK and was going to be granted. If they are cagey about it or very non-committal, then you can put a contingency in your offer that a waiver will be granted prior to close (though if it is a multiple bidder situation, this will make your offer less attractive).
This is extremely helpful...thank you! I’ve seen quite a few that are 30 or 35 lb limits; do you think it’s worth trying for a waiver in those cases, even though he might be double the weight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2019, 12:57 PM
 
1,624 posts, read 4,871,577 times
Reputation: 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs1357 View Post
This is extremely helpful...thank you! I’ve seen quite a few that are 30 or 35 lb limits; do you think it’s worth trying for a waiver in those cases, even though he might be double the weight?
Yes, it seems like labs were very common and they could be bigger dogs. They just don't want aggressive breeds that have a reputation for loud barking, or monster sized dogs like Great Danes. I can't imagine they are going to have a problem with a greyhound. Though it may be different in high rises, as I was mostly looking at TH style condos and garden style where it seemed everyone had dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2019, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Denver--->Atlanta--->DC
573 posts, read 2,506,990 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
To be honest, 65 lbs vs. 50 lbs (the most common weight restriction) is so close, it probably isn't going to be a big deal. Once you find the place you think you want to put an offer on, you call the management company or HOA president and ask if there are any pet restrictions, noting the weight, breed, age, and vaccination record of your dog. The seller's agent or seller should might know as well since the seller probably has a copy of the CCRs (though I wouldn't 100% rely on them solely). If there is one in the CCRs, then you submit a request for a waiver for the life of your dog and ask for an assessment of the feasibility of it being granted by the board. When I went through the process, every place said that was OK and was going to be granted. If they are cagey about it or very non-committal, then you can put a contingency in your offer that a waiver will be granted prior to close (though if it is a multiple bidder situation, this will make your offer less attractive).
I’m having a very opposite experience...many places are saying no way, they won’t grant a waiver except for a service dog or an emotional support animal. Starting to get frustrated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top