U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2008, 10:52 AM

9 posts, read 31,204 times

Advertisements

I recently got a speeding ticket (74/55 on Dulles Toll Road). I'm still not sure what I should do about it. I freely admit I was wrong...I've been trying to slow down since then to keep around/below the speed of traffic.

I would just pay it but I don't want to take the insurance hit which I think will be costly. (My license is still in New York, and New York won't record the ticket, but that doesn't make me all that confident.)

I've read that if you go to court then you can ask the ADA or the judge for leniency and offer to go to driver's school then they will reduce your ticket (conditional on completing the school), but I have no idea how to do this. Can anyone give me an idea of how to deal with this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 01:23 PM

25,710 posts, read 37,565,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jprete View Post
I recently got a speeding ticket (74/55 on Dulles Toll Road). I'm still not sure what I should do about it. I freely admit I was wrong...I've been trying to slow down since then to keep around/below the speed of traffic.

I would just pay it but I don't want to take the insurance hit which I think will be costly. (My license is still in New York, and New York won't record the ticket, but that doesn't make me all that confident.)

I've read that if you go to court then you can ask the ADA or the judge for leniency and offer to go to driver's school then they will reduce your ticket (conditional on completing the school), but I have no idea how to do this. Can anyone give me an idea of how to deal with this?
I'd go to court and attempt to make a deal with the judge and plead guility. The cleaner your record is the more likely the judge would be leient with your punishment.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:34 AM

12 posts, read 54,392 times
I got a ticket a while back that was about 18mph over (same as yours). I spent a saturday at driving school and brought my certificate to court. I showed it to the "prosecutor" (the defacto lawyer that works the cases on behalf of the county), and got it reduced to a "<10 miles over" infraction. Not a bad trade for $75 and a shot Saturday I'd say....

Old 04-14-2008, 08:52 PM

555 posts, read 2,554,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jprete View Post

It looks like the officer/trooper hooked you up with the 74 (it's one under a reckless). I would go to court and ask the Commonwealth Attorney if you can attend traffic school. If you have a good record they should drop the speed and you will have to pay court costs and a small fine. A lot of times they will even nolle prosse (drop) the ticket when you have proved completion of the traffic school.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:12 AM

3 posts, read 8,551 times
It's sad that you got a ticket when everyone around here drives around 75. If you don't, they speed around you, mad. Going to court and pleading your case is your best bet. Especially if you don't have any prior moving violations.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:42 PM

9 posts, read 31,204 times
Quote:
It's sad that you got a ticket when everyone around here drives around 75.
I agree to an extent...I think this was the unfortunate result of having a New York license plate. Once I'm done with the ticket I'm going to change it over. But I think I will also keep my speed down...it doesn't actually help in getting places faster unless you're traveling hundreds of miles.

Thanks to everyone for their help and ideas...it is much appreciated. I am definitely going to go to court and try to talk to the prosecutor and plead my case before the judge.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:05 AM

25,710 posts, read 37,565,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbguitar View Post
It's sad that you got a ticket when everyone around here drives around 75. If you don't, they speed around you, mad. Going to court and pleading your case is your best bet. Especially if you don't have any prior moving violations.
Around 75? I see people on 95 every day doing 80-90 and the state police rarely bat an eyelash. The main problem is the state police dont really enforce the speed limit during rush hour. I think 55 is way too low of a speed limit for an interstate anyway. I think 65 is perfectly reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia