U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2008, 08:04 PM

25 posts, read 101,338 times

Advertisements

We've been to Nags Head and love it. But I get the idea that Duck is more of a little kid friendly beach, and I have teenagers. Any advice? Other beaches in NC that you recommend?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 08:47 PM

50 posts, read 169,691 times
Love, Love, Love Duck!

We stay at the Sanderling every year and it is much more quiet and quaint. Nags Head is a fun place too, but I just feel that the Duck area is more "family" friendly.

Take Care

Old 04-11-2008, 10:27 PM

798 posts, read 2,507,613 times
We had a family reunion in Duck last year with about 80 folks ranging in age from toddlers to 80 and the teenagers had plenty to do. Or course there were so many of them they had each other but everyone loved Duck.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:29 PM

798 posts, read 2,507,613 times
You should post this on the Hampton Roads thread as well as the OBX is a very popular destination from there.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:35 AM

1,018 posts, read 1,363,244 times
Default NC Beaches

I have always stayed in Buxton but I'm sure that Duck is ok too. If you haven't done so, take the kids on the ferry from Hatteras to Ocracoke. Occasionally, you will see dolphins play tag with the ferry. Children love the ride and the ocean waves on Ocracoke tend to be a bit gentler. Plus, wild ponies!

Old 04-13-2008, 12:19 PM

9,734 posts, read 8,272,570 times
Ocracoke rules!! If you want to get "away from it all", you have to go all the way down to Ocrakoke. No fast food/chain restuarants. You don't even need you car once you get into the village.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:24 PM

280 posts, read 979,309 times
We have never stayed in Duck but we LOVE Corolla and stay there almost every year. Beautiful!

Old 04-13-2008, 01:34 PM

5,224 posts, read 13,711,261 times
I can't stand the beaches in the Outer Banks area! The sand is soft and "sloggy"--very hard to walk on! The undertow is horrible!
Drive a bit farther and go to Myrtle Beach! The water is clear, little, if any undertow and it's a great family atmosphere! Walking on the beaches (most of which are very wide and white-sand) is a breeze! Hard-packed and clean!

Old 04-13-2008, 03:17 PM

5,209 posts, read 9,312,010 times
We've stayed in both Duck and Nags Head.

Nags head (near Kitty Hawk and Kill Devil Hills) has a very central location with a wide variety of restaurants and activities (mini golf, Jockey's Ridge, fishing piers, you can even catch a movie). It has the advantage of having two roads (the bypass and beach road) going through it so traffic tends to move. Also, there are a couple of grocery stores close by. There are public beach access areas and dogs are allowed on the beach. Hatteras Island and Roanoke Island are not too far away, too.

Duck is a ways off the beaten path and located in more of a quaint village set up. It is a pretty little town with lots of boutique type shops and a nice sampling of restaurants. You can rent wave runners, etc. on the sound. There is one main drag going through and traffic tends to get backed up - as the term "stuck in Duck" would imply. The closest Food Lion is in Kitty Hawk which can be a bit of a trip if traffic is backed up. The beaches are clean but crowded with vacationers. There is no public beach access which gives it a little snob appeal. And I don't think dogs are allowed. Duck is pretty close to Corrolla where four wheel drive vehicles are allowed and wild horses roam free.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:55 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,781,278 times
There is a food lion in Corolla as well and might be closer than Kitty hawk.

We stayed 4 years in Corlla and last year we stayed in the kitty hawk area. I prefer the quieter area of Duck/Corolla. The hiway at kitty hawk/Nags head is ALWAYS busy. It's still close enough to drive over if you wnat to go to jokey ridge or putt putt etc... but it is so much more relaxing up in hte duck/corolla area. ALOT more families, with having 2 teenage girls we noticed the "20" year old guys hanging all day drink beer etc...(just having a good time)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia