Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 07:16 PM

512 posts, read 442,885 times

Advertisements

https://wtop.com/business-finance/20...-going-up-3-2/

If I lived in Arlington, I would not be happy about my taxes going up while one of the biggest companies in the world, which is worth aprox. $800 billion, got so many tax breaks! Looks like Arlington residents will be paying the bills for many infrastructure upgrades.

Like the below article states:
"Overall, the deal looks like it’s completely in Amazon’s favor, while the citizens of Arlington and workers at Amazon’s site are getting the shorter end of the stick."

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/5/18...rdable-housing

Last edited by EmiSky; 04-24-2019 at 07:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 08:08 PM

540 posts, read 790,988 times
No. It is because of inflation and the school system. The Amazon effect is unlikely to have contributed much to the tax assessment value to this point. And the money that Arlington is handing over to Amazon is a percentage of the *increase* in the hotel tax down the road once they’ve met employment targets.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:24 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,457,254 times
And the school population has increased a lot in recent years. Schools comprise well over half of the budget, at around $20k per kid.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:43 PM

6,808 posts, read 4,246,943 times
Check out the demographics of Arlington schools.theres kind of a discrepancy..it seems fair to say thats not the kids of Arlington property owners filling up those schools for the most part as theres a lot of rich empty nesters and childless couples in the area (and you arent buying a house in Arlington with a lower middle class job either)...and families with multitudes of kids can be found in the less than glamorous parts of the county.

But at the same time Arlington voters overwhelmingly vote for just about anything that costs money...so tax increases cant be all that surprising and shouldnt really bother most folks here.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:36 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,616,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post

If I lived in Arlington, I would not be happy about my taxes going up while one of the biggest companies in the world, which is worth aprox. $800 billion, got so many tax breaks! Looks like Arlington residents will be paying the bills for many infrastructure upgrades.

"Overall, the deal looks like it’s completely in Amazon’s favor, while the citizens of Arlington and workers at Amazon’s site are getting the shorter end of the stick."

You sound like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. It has nothing to do with Amazon and everything to do with our school system which has seen massive increases in enrollment over the past 10 years resulting in a need to expand and build new facilities. I don't know what the above poster is talking about regarding the Arlington County school demographics- neighborhoods across the county are full of kids and their numbers are growing daily. I do agree that Arlington also likes all these little enhanced social programs which look nice on your ballot but also cost money. Not saying they are good or bad either way (I've voted for several) but the bill does come due eventually. We're talking about a county that has wasted $70 million on an unnecessary aquatic center and $1 million on ONE bus stop on Columbia Pike over the past few years.

The economic benefits from Amazon being here will be considerably greater than the tax break and incentives they received. The vast majority of us who live in Arlington welcome Amazon with open arms.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 04-24-2019 at 10:51 PM..

Old 04-24-2019, 11:14 PM

51 posts, read 55,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post

Firstly, the increase in property tax is minimal relative to other booming towns (and its within a normal/reasonable rate anyways). It is outlandish to suggest that the raise is because of Amazon HQ2 that was just announced. If anything, the likes of Amazon HQ2 (popular example is the rumored Apple plans to brink 20k jobs in Tysons, but there is a ton of others coming to this region) help bring DOWN property taxes relative to population and social program growth because they bring development (like condos and apartments) and therefore a larger tax paying base.

Second, the second link and quote in your post is a very questionable opinion piece that just repeats slogans of 1) NIMBYs and/or 2) extreme left or right (but mostly left) self-proclaimed community "activists" who by their actions reveal that they really don't care much for the cause they preach and instead are clearly after that "lifestyle" of being an activist against evil. To be frank, and brief, it is flawed in logic and professionalism. Its not even an opinion piece by an economist writing for a publication with standards like the Economist, the NY Time or WPost, - its a blog post by someone writes on anything that has a popular/catchy headline (click on her name and see what she has been writing about... Games of Throne, Tim Cook's thoughts on regulation, etc). It should win an award for green journalism because it is basically recycling the same one-sided arguments of other flawed articles on this topic. Don't get me wrong, I genuinely believe in the merits and positive effects of public discourse (by all ideologies), diversity of opinion and community (or interest based) activism. I am (or I should say the "silent majority" in my opinion is) just growing tired of those who paint the other side of public discourse as "evil", grossly misstate facts, and make no mention of (or refuse to acknowledge any of) the merits/arguments of the other side.

Note: the above isnt a knock on you, - its the article.

Last edited by CaptainAaamerica; 04-24-2019 at 11:24 PM..

Old 04-25-2019, 05:42 AM

257 posts, read 223,329 times
I used to think Arlington was wealthy but go south of 50 and it's like being in Queens, NY -- multiple families living in single duplexes, electrical fires as a result of overcrowding and noisy as hell.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:55 AM

512 posts, read 442,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
You sound like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. It has nothing to do with Amazon and everything to do with our school system which has seen massive increases in enrollment over the past 10 years resulting in a need to expand and build new facilities. I don't know what the above poster is talking about regarding the Arlington County school demographics- neighborhoods across the county are full of kids and their numbers are growing daily. I do agree that Arlington also likes all these little enhanced social programs which look nice on your ballot but also cost money. Not saying they are good or bad either way (I've voted for several) but the bill does come due eventually. We're talking about a county that has wasted $70 million on an unnecessary aquatic center and $1 million on ONE bus stop on Columbia Pike over the past few years.

The economic benefits from Amazon being here will be considerably greater than the tax break and incentives they received. The vast majority of us who live in Arlington welcome Amazon with open arms.
Please, I'm on total opposite spectrum of Ocasio-Cortez! And I'm not against Amazon coming to NOVA; however, I think Amazon would have build it's HQ2 in NOVA without the tax breaks because this is a great area and VA is a business friendly state. In the long term, the area will benefit from Amazon being here but initially, taxpayers will have to foot the bill for the infrastructure improvements. But as other posters mentioned, this increase could be as a result of Arlington being fiscally irresponsible.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:13 AM

230 posts, read 220,404 times
What we're seeing in Arlington is the same thing we're seeing in other Virginia jurisdictions.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:44 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,401,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriftinthebay View Post
I used to think Arlington was wealthy but go south of 50 and it's like being in Queens, NY -- multiple families living in single duplexes, electrical fires as a result of overcrowding and noisy as hell.
Well yeah, North Arlington and South Arlington are completely different worlds.

I always cringe when I see people complaining about taxes, there are LOTS of places in the country where taxes are low but so is the quality of life. Taxes go to infrastructure, school budgets, teacher, firefighter, police, etc salaries. It benefits everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia