Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 05:01 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,642,628 times

Advertisements

I plan on buying a home in PG County as the cost of living in NoVA is only for millionaires. I moved here in 2015 and the housing boom was already in effect then. I doubt Amazon is the reason but it has contributed to the buzz. Along with Amazon will come a new campus for Virginia Tech, and plenty of pretentious luxury condos and apartments that the majority of the people serving the area can't afford on the low salaries. Potomac Yard is going to be razed to the ground to make way for the campus, a bunch of expensive housing complexes and million dollar four-story townhouses, a metro station with one entrance to accommodate Crystal City, and high cost restaurants and stores with no parking. I'm not a fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 06:59 PM

178 posts, read 282,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Why? Other than military, the two areas don't have much overlap in career choice.
People are getting priced out of NOVA forcing them to move to other parts of Virginia. Hampton Roads is also great for families due to decent schools in cities like Virginia Beach and a suburban lifestyle. There's plenty of jobs here that are not military related. We have a lot of medical facilities and hospitals here so getting a job in the medical field here is easy also.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:34 PM

512 posts, read 442,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey1151 View Post
People are getting priced out of NOVA forcing them to move to other parts of Virginia. Hampton Roads is also great for families due to decent schools in cities like Virginia Beach and a suburban lifestyle. There's plenty of jobs here that are not military related. We have a lot of medical facilities and hospitals here so getting a job in the medical field here is easy also.
I don't foresee many people leaving NOVA for Hampton Roads. If anything, I think Richmond will be the next hot place which will see a lot of growth as many from NOVA will want to escape the high cost of living and seek slower pace lifestyle. I think Richmond has lots of potential, and when you read the Richmond threads, many individuals moved there from NOVA or are seeking to move. I also think more companies will move to Richmond as the DC metro area is getting so expansive. And Richmond is still close enough to DC.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:29 AM

4,605 posts, read 6,427,227 times
I feel so sorry for anyone trying to buy in NoVA now. I bought in early November, days before the Amazon announcement.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:58 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Don't worry. We're just waiting to buy the homes at half price when all these speculators inevitably foreclose and/or short sell.

Thanks in advance for the bargains!
I read a few articles about this yesterday and they stated the only thing keeping the prices from being higher is that lenders are really not giving out those bad loans. There may be a correction but it is not going to be 50% and it probably would not be much more than 10%.

Some people also stated that Amazon is giving people a reason to wait so there is less inventory which is driving prices up. But this does not seem unsustainable.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:00 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elias9193 View Post
My daughter who lives in Falls Church put her house for sale this week . On the first day she got 3 offers and the winning
offer was $25k over asking. Is this because of Amazon or a just the market right now, not sure probably a little of both.
Falls Church city or the Falls Church part of Fairfax county?

Old 06-14-2019, 11:03 AM

707 posts, read 1,408,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Falls Church city or the Falls Church part of Fairfax county?
Falls Church part of Fairfax county not Falls Church city.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:14 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
No, Amazon is not a factor.
Yes, Amazon is a factor.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:14 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
I don't foresee many people leaving NOVA for Hampton Roads. If anything, I think Richmond will be the next hot place which will see a lot of growth as many from NOVA will want to escape the high cost of living and seek slower pace lifestyle. I think Richmond has lots of potential, and when you read the Richmond threads, many individuals moved there from NOVA or are seeking to move. I also think more companies will move to Richmond as the DC metro area is getting so expansive. And Richmond is still close enough to DC.

Agreed that Richmond makes more sense than Hampton Roads. Seems like it has more of a similar profile to NoVA. I also think a lot of people will stay in the DC area and move out further.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:18 AM

230 posts, read 220,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elias9193 View Post
Falls Church part of Fairfax county not Falls Church city.
That's interesting. I wouldn't consider that immediate area a top-notch draw for potential Amazon employees. It doesn't have the best transportation access to the National Landing site (especially given its relative proximity) and the Stuart/Justice High pyramid is one of the lowest-performing in the county.

I also know someone who paid $35k above list price for a Cape Cod in 22041, which I thought was a bit extreme for that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia