Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 11:16 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,293,344 times

Advertisements

Reston sounds like it could be a good fit for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 11:27 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,293,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I live in Arlington which is much more suited for younger single people than the suburbs. Is there a reason why you’re overlooking Arlington or Alexandria? NoVa suburbs are pretty boring. Nothing wrong with that but you’re going to be disappointed if you’re going there looking for the same nightlife and fun that there is in DC.
I find it endlessly amusing that there is a strong contingent on this forum that seems to believe that it is impossible for anyone who is childfree and under the age of thirty to possibly enjoy suburbs outside of Alexandria and Arlington.

Some younger people enjoy a slower life or less hustle and bustle. I moved up to NoVa while commuting into DC for grad school. Even as a 22 year old, I found DC and Arlington and much of Alexandria exhausting. I was from Texas where I didn’t have to fight for a parking spot to get my groceries. I spent my weekends driving out of the area to nature preserves and parks and battlegrounds. I could feel the weight of the city coming off me as I drove out.

I spent my entire twenties happily living an incredibly social life in the burbs (Falls Church then Oakton then Fairfax City). It can be done. It’s not that I don’t appreciate what all the busier places have to offer in DC proper—we go in often— but I don’t want to live there.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:44 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,411,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
I find it endlessly amusing that there is a strong contingent on this forum that seems to believe that it is impossible for anyone who is childfree and under the age of thirty to possibly enjoy suburbs outside of Alexandria and Arlington.

Some younger people enjoy a slower life or less hustle and bustle. I moved up to NoVa while commuting into DC for grad school. Even as a 22 year old, I found DC and Arlington and much of Alexandria exhausting. I was from Texas where I didn’t have to fight for a parking spot to get my groceries. I spent my weekends driving out of the area to nature preserves and parks and battlegrounds. I could feel the weight of the city coming off me as I drove out.

I spent my entire twenties happily living an incredibly social life in the burbs (Falls Church then Oakton then Fairfax City). It can be done. It’s not that I don’t appreciate what all the busier places have to offer in DC proper—we go in often— but I don’t want to live there.
I used to find the "Arlington and Alexandria is the greatest thing since sliced bread if you're young and single in NoVa" argument to be exaggerated but when I lived in the 'burbs, I spent so much of my time in Arlington and Alexandria that at a certain point it just made more sense to move there.

But you're right, there's a lot of factors and millennials or young people in general aren't monolithic, we're all different and come from different parts of the country so we may not all be looking for the same thing.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:32 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,640,504 times
Right now I work in Riverdale Park, MD (next to Hyattsville) so the commute from Reston Town Center would be 31 miles to my office which would probably take 45-90 minutes each way. I'm not quite sure it's worth the move. I live 7 miles from Riverdale Park and it takes me 25-30 minutes each way. Either way, the traffic is no fun. I'm just DCed out and I don't like MD at all.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:57 PM

9,893 posts, read 14,179,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Right now I work in Riverdale Park, MD (next to Hyattsville) so the commute from Reston Town Center would be 31 miles to my office which would probably take 45-90 minutes each way. I'm not quite sure it's worth the move. I live 7 miles from Riverdale Park and it takes me 25-30 minutes each way. Either way, the traffic is no fun. I'm just DCed out and I don't like MD at all.

You should not move to VA with your current job.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:02 PM

22,519 posts, read 12,072,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I'm probably more drawn to Reston (even though the prices are about the same as DC) or Herndon as there is civilization there. I can also hit up wineries on weekends. There are DUI task forces in NOVA? That sounds awful.
When we downsized, we moved from LoCo to Reston. Living in LoCo as empty nesters, we began to feel isolated. Plus if we needed anything, even if it was close by, we had to go by car, because sidewalks were scarce. Where we lived in LoCo, however, before we moved, they were starting to put in sidewalks as one of the new Metro stations wasn't far away.

Returning to Reston (we had lived there before we became homeowners) was like night and day. We've met many people that live in our apt. building and for the first time in years, we have a social life (of sorts ). Not to mention that we can walk to shopping and restaurants.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:47 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,586,292 times
Quote:

We all have different tastes (if I were in OP's position I would live in Hyattsville Arts District). Maybe OP will find happiness in Reston - it has much to recommend it if not a short commute to Riverdale Park.

But I am not sure what this means. When we drive to our local supermarket in northwest Alexandria, its not hard getting a parking spot, at all (I do sometimes get groceries on my bike, but 95% of the time we get our groceries by car) Of course people in denser parts of Arlington and Alexandria can often walk to the supermarket.

I guess if you lived in a part of Arlington where the nearest supermarket was in a dense part, but you were not actually living in walking distance that would be an issue? But most of Arlington and Alexandria don't fall into that category, I think.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:04 PM

2,505 posts, read 3,558,959 times
Columbia is Reston's fraternal twin on the Maryland side; maybe check it out for a day and see what you think.

I agree that there's a certain vibe to NoVa that doesn't really exist on the Maryland side -- even MoCo officials look wistfully at LoCo's success in the beverage industry, in particular:
https://wtop.com/montgomery-county/2...draw-tourists/

Old 08-14-2019, 08:33 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,503,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
You should not move to VA with your current job.
Yeah, that commute is brutal and I do not see it getting any better.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:44 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,656,573 times
Quote:

Same here honestly. I lived in DC and I hated it. No parking, always loud, and idk it's the same scene over and over again (overpriced bars, a ton of chain restaurants like Busboys and Poets and &pizza). I think Alexandria is the perfect mix of young with things to do and more mature settings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia