Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 08:47 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,298,620 times

Advertisements

Hoping some practical advice please.
we have a 4 bedroom 3.5 bath SFH in sterling on .25 acres.
I work in McLean and make the daily commute which is not that bad (25-30 mins early am).

we are moving primarily for better schools. current schools are 5/10, 6/10, 7/10 and the areas in vienna and mclean we're looking (not all areas in vienna qualify), schools are 9/10, 10/10, and 9/10. we have 3 kids that are 7, 7, and 4. I wanted to make the move before the kids get too into their school cycle (older ones start first grade this sept...so although we will likely have to change schools - move would happen in november timeframe i think, i think the impact will be minimal)

I'm looking at vienna primarily....near the wolftrap area.....at home in the 1.1M to 1.25M which sadly, gets us into something that's comparable to what we are in currently (maybe a bit bigger and nicer looking). It would be a stretch but I can pull it off financially I believe.

I wanted to ask if anyone has any advice or things to consider that I may have overlooked. i'm trying to consider everything before pulling the trigger sometime this year (current plan at least).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 10:21 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
Just be aware that you can live somewhere with a Vienna mailing address and be zoned to a bunch of different high schools: Madison, Marshall, McLean, Oakton, Langley, South Lakes, and Falls Church.

Near Wolftrap, the areas zoned for Madison, Marshall, McLean, South Lakes, and Langley HS are all fairly close to one another. The Madison neighborhoods are further south towards the Town of Vienna. The Marshall neighborhoods are in the middle and have many of the newer homes. The McLean areas are further north and closest to Wolf Trap (the performing arts center, not the elementary school). The South Lakes areas are further west. And then there are just 2-3 neighborhoods just off Route 7 zoned for Langley. Getting to Marshall HS from that area during peak hours can be a bit of a pain because you have to go through Tysons. Obviously, you should check the assignments for individual properties.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD984 View Post
Just be aware that you can live somewhere with a Vienna mailing address and be zoned to a bunch of different high schools: Madison, Marshall, McLean, Oakton, Langley, South Lakes, and Falls Church.

Near Wolftrap, the areas zoned for Madison, Marshall, McLean, South Lakes, and Langley HS are all fairly close to one another. The Madison neighborhoods are further south towards the Town of Vienna. The Marshall neighborhoods are in the middle and have many of the newer homes. The McLean areas are further north and closest to Wolf Trap (the performing arts center, not the elementary school). The South Lakes areas are further west. And then there are just 2-3 neighborhoods just off Route 7 zoned for Langley. Getting to Marshall HS from that area during peak hours can be a bit of a pain because you have to go through Tysons. Obviously, you should check the assignments for individual properties.
Yes. Absolutely. One of the first things i check on a property is the school allocation. Zillow shows sll 3. Thank you for the note.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:39 AM

230 posts, read 220,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Hoping some practical advice please.
we have a 4 bedroom 3.5 bath SFH in sterling on .25 acres.
I work in McLean and make the daily commute which is not that bad (25-30 mins early am).

we are moving primarily for better schools. current schools are 5/10, 6/10, 7/10 and the areas in vienna and mclean we're looking (not all areas in vienna qualify), schools are 9/10, 10/10, and 9/10. we have 3 kids that are 7, 7, and 4. I wanted to make the move before the kids get too into their school cycle (older ones start first grade this sept...so although we will likely have to change schools - move would happen in november timeframe i think, i think the impact will be minimal)

I'm looking at vienna primarily....near the wolftrap area.....at home in the 1.1M to 1.25M which sadly, gets us into something that's comparable to what we are in currently (maybe a bit bigger and nicer looking). It would be a stretch but I can pull it off financially I believe.

I wanted to ask if anyone has any advice or things to consider that I may have overlooked. i'm trying to consider everything before pulling the trigger sometime this year (current plan at least).
Given that you're asking for advice, I'm going to respond by asking you this question: are you actually assessing school quality and basing a move from Sterling to Vienna/McLean on GreatSchools ratings alone? If I were you, I'd do a little more research into your current schools and the schools you're targeting before uprooting your family.

You might already be doing this type of research, but it isn't clear in your post.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dominionite View Post
Given that you're asking for advice, I'm going to respond by asking you this question: are you actually assessing school quality and basing a move from Sterling to Vienna/McLean on GreatSchools ratings alone? If I were you, I'd do a little more research into your current schools and the schools you're targeting before uprooting your family.

You might already be doing this type of research, but it isn't clear in your post.
Thank you. No, I'm not doing that research. I wouldnt know where to start....
I'm simply looking at the school rating...which i know change each year, but often not significantly.
I went to Langley HS, so i know the quality is great. But didnt go to cooper or any other other middle/elementary schools in the area. So some first hand experience, but....

Old 04-24-2019, 08:27 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
I went to Langley HS, so i know the quality is great.
hmmm....my High School was great, too, but I wouldn't automatically assume it is still great, so many years later.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
hmmm....my High School was great, too, but I wouldn't automatically assume it is still great, so many years later.
but it's consistently rated 9/10 year after year......i'm not just assuming.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:47 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
but it's consistently rated 9/10 year after year......i'm not just assuming.
Why are you putting so much value into one specific website ranking?

Old 04-24-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Why are you putting so much value into one specific website ranking?
which website are you referring to?
the schools in the areas of vienna i'm looking at, as well as mclean, are consistently in the top 5 in all the VA schools rating websites i've looked at.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:07 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,265,055 times
I think you need to understand where the ratings are coming from (available on the website) and do some research using school profiles and understanding what type of environment you think your kids would thrive in, etc).

I don't know what the price differential that you're looking at, but take a good look at Annandale in the Woodson HS pyramid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia