Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 10:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,421 times

Advertisements

So I have a townhouse that is in fairfax county by lorton and a few years ago while I was renovating the kitchen I had the contractor add recessed lights in the kitchen, living room and basement.
In the kitchen, the electrician basically installed the recessed lights and used existing wiring that was there from the previous light fixture; the same was done in the basement. In the living room, there was no existing lights, but he basically connected the lights in parallel and to an existing wiring panel for the light fixture by the entrance and the outside light.
I want to sell my townhouse now and started wondering if I actually needed a permit back then. The contractor didn't mention anything about it and I simply didn't think about it. Contractor is gone and I can't find him, so I'm wondering if I might be screwed.
If I do indeed needed a permit back then, is there any way that I can rectify and get this "approved" by the county? I don't care if I have to pay a fee, I just want to make sure I can sell my house.

Thank you
Carlos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 05:15 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,058,991 times
We had recessed lights installed from scratch several years ago. No permit needed.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:31 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
I do believe a permit is required for any new electrical wiring for Fairfax County. That being said, I can't imagine anyone will question or ask for permits for ceiling fixtures, unless they are hanging out of the ceiling.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:17 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,424,853 times
I don't think that you need a permit. I can tell you that electricians are not pulling permits for adding light fixtures to existing circuits, but they definitely will pull one for upgrading your electrical panel or adding something like a tesla charger.

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/landde...ermit-required

FFx permits are also like $100 a pop. I sent them an email about replacing fridge/dishwasher and new plumbing (their site says 'new plumbing fixtures' under required) and was told "if you are just replacing what was already there no permit is needed."

Old 09-22-2019, 07:55 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
I don't think that you need a permit. I can tell you that electricians are not pulling permits for adding light fixtures to existing circuits, but they definitely will pull one for upgrading your electrical panel or adding something like a tesla charger.

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/landde...ermit-required

FFx permits are also like $100 a pop. I sent them an email about replacing fridge/dishwasher and new plumbing (their site says 'new plumbing fixtures' under required) and was told "if you are just replacing what was already there no permit is needed."

Adding new wiring is not just replacing what is there.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:12 AM

6,963 posts, read 2,696,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I do believe a permit is required for any new electrical wiring for Fairfax County. That being said, I can't imagine anyone will question or ask for permits for ceiling fixtures, unless they are hanging out of the ceiling.
I replaced a center ceiling fixture with recessed lights in all the bedrooms of my TH and added additional recessed lights in other rooms that already had them. I also moved some existing light switches from poorly placed positions to better positions. No permit because I was not running any new wiring from the panel.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:47 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,288,748 times
Do homeowners and tradespeople do it all the time without permits? Yep. Are they allowed to? Unclear.

Old 09-25-2019, 05:20 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
The answer is, theoretically yes, will anyone ever know by counting light fixtures or knowing if light fixtures have been replaced, the answer is NO!

Old 10-04-2019, 05:03 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carloscbj89 View Post
So I have a townhouse that is in fairfax county by lorton and a few years ago while I was renovating the kitchen I had the contractor add recessed lights in the kitchen, living room and basement.
In the kitchen, the electrician basically installed the recessed lights and used existing wiring that was there from the previous light fixture; the same was done in the basement. In the living room, there was no existing lights, but he basically connected the lights in parallel and to an existing wiring panel for the light fixture by the entrance and the outside light.
I want to sell my townhouse now and started wondering if I actually needed a permit back then. The contractor didn't mention anything about it and I simply didn't think about it. Contractor is gone and I can't find him, so I'm wondering if I might be screwed.
If I do indeed needed a permit back then, is there any way that I can rectify and get this "approved" by the county? I don't care if I have to pay a fee, I just want to make sure I can sell my house.

Thank you
Carlos
No. The work was routine. Nothing to worry about. This isn't NYC!

Old 10-14-2019, 06:58 PM

5 posts, read 5,805 times
And I have a total irrelevant question. How much is your handy man charging you to install the lights. I want get installed in my new place but the labor cost is way too much. Do you recommend anyone for the job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia