Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2019, 08:22 AM

894 posts, read 1,324,928 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain how the Express lanes work coming north on 95 from Woodbridge.

I'm looking to live in Woodbridge. I will probably have to come into Tysons Mon- Thursday. Someone was telling me there is an express lane that you have to pay for daily. What is that daily charge each way? How much does the box that goes on your windshield cost?

Is that express lane for single drivers or is that some sort of carpool lane? Also, does the pass for Northern Va also work when traveling through the turnpike in Pennsylvania?

Loaded question I apologize in advance i'm relocating from the Georgia where you just get on the road and drive for free lol.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 08:29 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,891,980 times
https://www.ezpassva.com

^^^^ this should answer some of your questions

There's a direct on/off to the ezpass lanes in Woodbridge, over off PWC pkwy. The cost varies so check the overhead signs near the on ramps (or just do like most and put your head down and pay it regardless as it's worth it to not sit in our traffic)

You can ride by yourself by paying the toll, or get the ezpass flex which has a selectable feature for when you have 3+ people in the vehicle, which waives the toll

I've used the ezpass up to NY with no issues, but no clue about PENN turnpike. per the map below, it appears it would be covered

https://www.ezpassva.com/EZPages/Where-To-Use.aspx

Last edited by kww; 10-17-2019 at 09:51 AM..

Old 10-17-2019, 09:58 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,379,298 times
Yes. You can use a VA EZPass (or any other EZPass) on the PA Turnpike

Old 10-17-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
https://www.ezpassva.com

^^^^ this should answer some of your questions

There's a direct on/off to the ezpass lanes in Woodbridge, over off PWC pkwy. The cost varies so check the overhead signs near the on ramps (or just do like most and put your head down and pay it regardless as it's worth it to not sit in our traffic)

You can ride by yourself by paying the toll, or get the ezpass flex which has a selectable feature for when you have 3+ people in the vehicle, which waives the toll

I've used the ezpass up to NY with no issues, but no clue about PENN turnpike. per the map below, it appears it would be covered

https://www.ezpassva.com/EZPages/Where-To-Use.aspx
Thank you for the info and insight. So, it looks like it will cost $24.95 form tyson to Springfield on 495 and 13.90 for 95 south to Woodbridge. Total of $38.85

$38.85*4days a week*4weeks a month * 2 to and from work = $1,243 to avoid traffic a month. oh boy am I calculating this correctly?

Old 10-17-2019, 05:56 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,425,614 times
The tolls change based on the time of day and traffic flow in the express lanes. $40 is near peak. Yes using them every day during rush hour will be very expensive as they are meant to used for free by HOV-3 people not single drivers.

Later in the evening that same trip could be under $15 and almost nothing late at night.

Old 10-17-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
The tolls change based on the time of day and traffic flow in the express lanes. $40 is near peak. Yes using them every day during rush hour will be very expensive as they are meant to used for free by HOV-3 people not single drivers.

Later in the evening that same trip could be under $15 and almost nothing late at night.
True! understand. The lane is actually for individuals who are carpool makes sense.

Thanks everyone.

Old 10-19-2019, 11:46 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,265,665 times
I make the journey from Woodbridge to Tysons via carpool and it works okay (not as convenient as using slugging up 395 but a lot less stressful/cheaper than driving solo). A quick alternative is an app named Sameride where you can match with drivers or riders going from Woodbridge to Tysons on a day-to-day basis. Also, there is a bus to Tysons Corner. Woodbridge has bad traffic but so many people live there that you can find alternatives (still not an easy commute though).

Old 10-27-2019, 02:11 PM

671 posts, read 1,118,320 times
Why Woodbridge? Can you rethink that?
Check out Morning Slug Lines in Northern Virgina and Washington DC Free to carpool with 3 on 95.You could drop off at Pentagon or Rosslyn(from Tacketts Mill) and go outbound on 29. Or GW Parkway to 123. Further but against traffic.
I used to drive that route and it tires your mind. Try to get closer to where you work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia